What bugs you...

Keep quoting the dictionary, since it is the ultimate "truth" guide and there's no such thing as connotation. Don't argue when people tell you that you never marched in a drum corps or played a bugle, though, because a dictionary can clearly show you how wrong you are.

Anyway, I really have no problem with calling former members alumni. My implicit point was that when discussing the lingo of any institution, we tend to go by connotation rather than denotation. Playtime was fun, though. Next up, what is the definition of a color guard?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of signatures: signatures with huge fonts and images, life history back to the womb, and six favorite movie quotes, all of which take up three times more space that the actual post. You guys wear out my scrolling finger. Those thin horizontal corps banners are cool, but I don't see any reason to stack more than, say, three. Fortunately, those space hog signatures easily enough avoided by adjusting view options.

How do you get those thin horizontal corps banners by the way?

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

El Paso, Texas

Lake Havasu, AZ

3 of the worst place to be housed/have a show

Keep quoting the dictionary, since it is the ultimate "truth" guide and there's no such thing as connotation. Don't argue when people tell you that you never marched in a drum corps or played a bugle, though, because a dictionary can clearly show you how wrong you are.

Anyway, I really have no problem with calling former members alumni. My implicit point was that when discussing the lingo of any institution, we tend to go by connotation rather than denotation. Playtime was fun, though. Next up, what is the definition of a color guard?

Most dictionaries are describtive. That is, if people use it that way, it's a definition for that word. So, using a dictionary to settle nomenclature is pretty pointless.

Personally, alumnus and student never sat well with me. I now use alumnus for lack of a shorter term, but I still say "member." To me it more accurately reflects the sense of ownership and belonging. But I won't argue the point as it's mostly a matter of perspective.

Not sure what part of :cool: you didn’t understand, but fine. As we have learned today, “alumni” both connotes and denotes some sort of former association (and perhaps a criminal record). To me, though, “student” connotes (in addition to a student and a teacher) a program of study and an ultimate goal (and, to Merriam-Webster anyway, a school).

• Fifth grade students study the fifth grade at an elementary school to become sixth graders.
  • Law students study the law at law school to become lawyers.
  • Music students study music at a music school/conservatory/studio to become musicians.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera…

What is it that drum corps ‘students’ are ‘studying’, where are they ‘studying’ it, and why?

How do you get those thin horizontal corps banners by the way?

If you promise not to abuse them :cool: ...

Link

And I can use a dictionary's denotations to "prove" that nobody who marched dci or played a valved instrument actually marched in a drum corps or played a bugle. I can also use a dictionary's denotation to prove that drum corps and marching band are the same thing, and have been for a very long time.

Or I can be just a tad more rational and realize that institutional lingo has specific connotations that few dictionaries ever cover.

Anyway, things that bother me are people who continue a stupid discussion for far too long, and since I'm to blame, I'll stop. :cool:

forgive me if some of these were already mentioned, I didn't read all the pages to the thread.

1) people yelling to be on the DVD or CD during a solo or "soft spot" in the music.

2) no retreats

3) not getting reenbursed or even a concert inside if a show is rained ouT even one corps inside would be nice.

(tickets are overpriced in the first place)

4) to much crap in the pits- they'll drag a gong out and hit it once in a 11 minute program then drag it back.

5) the 300 staff members that now travel with the corps. They all plow into the stadium just to see their corps, then they sit on the steps on the 50 yard line and annoy the folks that paid good money to see the show by jumping around and screaming at the top of their lungs for the entire show.

Edited by Tupac

4) to much crap in the pits- they'll drag a gong out and hit it once in a 11 minute program then drag it back.

Hey! That gong hit added a whole tenth of GE thank you very much!!! I know it did!!! :thumbup: