If SCV had won in 88

If SCV had won in 1988, then I surmise the following would have occurred:

1) Dukakis wins the 1988 election, instead of Bush Sr.

2) Dukakis appoints (then) Arkansas governor Bill Clinton as HHS Secretary.

3) During the State of the Union speech, Dukakis and the entire cabinet are killed by a rogue Argentinian terrorist bent on revenge for the loss of the Falkland Islands in 1982. HHS Secretary Clinton, being the designated 'out of town' cabinet member, is the next in line for the Presidency. He is sworn in as president Feb 15th.

5) Feb 21st -- Clinton cuts off all diplomatic ties to Argentina.

6) Feb 28th -- Argentina signs a mutual defense pact with the Soviet Union.

7) Aptril 27th -- Argentina attempts to retake the Falkland Islands.

8) May 5th - The Naval fleet dispatched by Britain to re-retake the Falklands is destroyed by new, Soviet-made attack subs from Argentina.

9) May 10th USA launches a naval fleet of it's own to capture the Falkland Islands.

10) May 13th - USA invades the Falkland Islands, taking them in 2 days.

11) May 18th - USA sets up a blockade of all Argentinian ports -- an act of war.

12) May 21st - The Soviet Union warns the USA to remove the blockade, or risk a conflict.

13) May 23rd - President Clinton is caught with an underage congressional page Monica Lewinsky in a "compromised" position. (Yep, those 2 are destiny in all possible time lines).

14) May 25th -- Articles of impeachment of President Clinton are presented in Congress.

15) May 27th - Clinton, looking to distract the press from his criminal actions, bombs Buenos Aires.

16) May 28th -- Argentina declares war on the USA.

17) May 29th -- The Soviet Union declares war on the USA

18) May 30th -- Congress declares war on the Soviet Union.

19) June 2nd - The Soviet Union launches a limited nuclear strike against the USA, destroying Washington DC, New York, Boston,

and Madison Wisconsin. 30 million are dead.

20) June 2nd - A counter strike from the USA destroys Moscow, Leningrad, and Minsk. 40 million are dead.

21) June 3rd -- The Soviet Union launches a full scale nuclear attack on the USA, killing 200+ million people. The counter strike on the USA kills 250 million in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.

22) June 3rd-5th. Further nuclear strikes destroy all of the USA, USSR, Western Europe, Easter Europe, Canada, China, Japan, Australia, and strangely enough -- Upper Volta (love that name -- had to get them in this timeline somehow). 3 Billion are dead worldwide.

23) June 5th --- Western Civilization is gone.

23) August 14th - A group of nuclear irradiated cockroaches wins DCI. The judges consist of 3 crickets, 2 ants, and a marsh grog.

(The marsh grog judged brass. They have perfect pitch you know)

Now, aren't you glad Madison won in 1988?

Edited by Tim Coffey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I know this one:

IF SCV had won in '88...........Phantom would have won in '89.

I'd say if SCV had won in '88, and then they and PR had the same finals performances in '89, PR would have won.

But, I'm betting if they'd won in '88, Vanguard would have changed their show.

I still can't comprehend how anyone can think 88 is better than 89! Especially from a brass standpoint

but hey to each their own =)

both were great shows. And 89 was Wes Cartwrights first year at Vanguard. I wonder if he would have gone elsewhere had they won in 88

1) Dukakis wins the 1988 election, instead of Bush Sr.

2) Dukakis appoints (then) Arkansas governor Bill Clinton as HHS Secretary.

3) During the State of the Union speech, Dukakis and the entire cabinet are killed by a rogue Argentinian terrorist bent on revenge for the loss of the Falkland Islands in 1982. HHS Secretary Clinton, being the designated 'out of town' cabinet member, is the next in line for the Presidency. He is sworn in as president Feb 15th.

5) Feb 21st -- Clinton cuts off all diplomatic ties to Argentina.

6) Feb 28th -- Argentina signs a mutual defense pact with the Soviet Union.

7) Aptril 27th -- Argentina attempts to retake the Falkland Islands.

8) May 5th - The Naval fleet dispatched by Britain to re-retake the Falklands is destroyed by new, Soviet-made attack subs from Argentina.

9) May 10th USA launches a naval fleet of it's own to capture the Falkland Islands.

10) May 13th - USA invades the Falkland Islands, taking them in 2 days.

11) May 18th - USA sets up a blockade of all Argentinian ports -- an act of war.

12) May 21st - The Soviet Union warns the USA to remove the blockade, or risk a conflict.

13) May 23rd - President Clinton is caught with an underage congressional page Monica Lewinsky in a "compromised" position. (Yep, those 2 are destiny in all possible time lines).

14) May 25th -- Articles of impeachment of President Clinton are presented in Congress.

15) May 27th - Clinton, looking to distract the press from his criminal actions, bombs Buenos Aires.

16) May 28th -- Argentina declares war on the USA.

17) May 29th -- The Soviet Union declares war on the USA

18) May 30th -- Congress declares war on the Soviet Union.

19) June 2nd - The Soviet Union launches a limited nuclear strike against the USA, destroying Washington DC, New York, Boston,

and Madison Wisconsin. 30 million are dead.

20) June 2nd - A counter strike from the USA destroys Moscow, Leningrad, and Minsk. 40 million are dead.

21) June 3rd -- The Soviet Union launches a full scale nuclear attack on the USA, killing 200+ million people. The counter strike on the USA kills 250 million in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.

22) June 3rd-5th. Further nuclear strikes destroy all of the USA, USSR, Western Europe, Easter Europe, Canada, China, Japan, Australia, and strangely enough -- Upper Volta (love that name -- had to get them in this timeline somehow). 3 Billion are dead worldwide.

23) August 14th - A group of nuclear irradiated cockroaches wins DCI. The judges consist of 3 crickets, 2 ants, and a marsh grog.

(The marsh grog judged brass. They have perfect pitch you know)

Now, aren't you glad Madison won in 1988?

You are a thinker. Perhaps this is why SCV didn't win...someone knew this would happen!

Thank you Madison saving mankind.

I still can't comprehend how anyone can think 88 is better than 89! Especially from a brass standpoint

but hey to each their own =)

both were great shows. And 89 was Wes Cartwrights first year at Vanguard. I wonder if he would have gone elsewhere had they won in 88

From a performance standpoint, it's clear that 89 trumps 88 in many ways. But that makes no difference to me when comparing the two shows as I first experienced them (which was at finals both years). To me, no matter how much better the 89 show may have been performed, I prefer the 1988 show. It was new, it was fresh, it had that magic that really did leave me breathless at the end of the show. By the time 1989 came around, I already knew what to expect, and magic tricks (and drum corps shows for that matter, especially when the show is basically structured the same way like this) just aren't that much fun the second time around when you know what's coming. And not for nothing, the magic trick at the end of 89 fell so flat in comparison to 88.

1) Dukakis wins the 1988 election, instead of Bush Sr...

Hehe.. good one.

Of course now, twenty years later, SCV is exacting revenge by hatching a scheme of their own, obviously intended to bring about the collapse of the entire universe:

Evil Plot

What if Don Warren and Gail Royer never ran into each other in that bathroom? Would DCI still have been formed?

What if Glassmen's first year in Finals was 1992? (They missed it by .1)

What if Boston Crusaders' first year in Finals was 1994? (they missed it by .1)

What if the directors had read the amplification proposal in 2004 more carefully and noticed that it allowed amplification of voice?

What if Lucas Oil Stadium was completed on time?

What if the Blue Devils' soprano player nailed his solo at Finals in 1989?

What if the Muchachos hadn't gotten disqualified in 1975?

What if Phantom Regiment won DCI all by themselves in 1996?

What if Blue Devils won DCI all by themselves in 1996?

What if Bill Cook had held a press conference to explain his "best corps money could buy" quote immediately after people in the drum corps community started reacting negatively to it? Would audiences have warmed up to Star more? Would Star still be in DCI today?

and, on a personal level... What if that veteran with the attitude problem was NOT cut from the corps in January of 1993, paving the way for me to be granted the spot?

Edited by madscout96

Dude, that means that every show SCV has ever done would have been pushed forward a year. Thus affecting placements from there on out.

You are a thinker. Perhaps this is why SCV didn't win...someone knew this would happen!

Thank you Madison saving mankind.

It's what we do.