End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

The Academy...and I would point out their Jupiter Quantum brass deal as further proof.

1. Academy does not simply "borrow" those horns. There is a sponsorship deal, possibly involving leasing or purchase/resale.

2. Academy had been in operation for seven years before the Jupiter deal became available to them, so that certainly wouldn't be an example of how Bb/F horns make corps startups easier.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Escalating costs that are a problem...

1. Fuel costs - some corps need to make a decision to perform more locally to cut their total mileage and lower their annual fuel bills. Yes, that may mean not as many "competitions," but hey...a performance is a performance. In my mind competition is secondary to providing as many performance opportunities for the young people involved in your corps.

2. Food costs - Kids need to eat and drum corps kids need to eat alot. There should NEVER be skimping on the amount of food a corps has for its members.

Both of these costs are pretty much out of the control of a drum corps organization.

All other costs are able to be controlled by smart and fiscally minded corps managers and Boards. Instruments, staff, uniforms, etc...they can all be controlled.

Thanks for the constructive contribution.

I would go further and say that fuel costs can be controlled to some extent, in the manner you describe above. Food costs too, though nearly all corps nowadays are savvy about where to buy food in bulk and how to feed 150 people on a budget. After that, there's little they can do if the cost of that food supply goes up.

1. Academy does not simply "borrow" those horns. There is a sponsorship deal, possibly involving leasing or purchase/resale.

2. Academy had been in operation for seven years before the Jupiter deal became available to them, so that certainly wouldn't be an example of how Bb/F horns make corps startups easier.

Academy began in an era of Bb/F, no? I don't believe they started on G horns, but I could be wrong on this assertion. I shall investigate further and report back.

The Quantum deal was just the frosting on the cake. Tell me when a G horn was ever offered to a non-finalist? ever?

Thanks for the constructive contribution.

I would go further and say that fuel costs can be controlled to some extent, in the manner you describe above. Food costs too, though nearly all corps nowadays are savvy about where to buy food in bulk and how to feed 150 people on a budget. After that, there's little they can do if the cost of that food supply goes up.

It's like you and I agree that savvy management is needed for corps to survive long term. Just like any other business. Wow. We agree.

Now, let's expamd this discussion a bit. I have stated many times that I believe current Open Class corps shortchanged themselves when they combined into Open Class. It was...at first, just a name change and a procedural change on how finals week would work. As far as receiving any type of compensation for their performances, I do not believe that has been in the cards as of yet. The Michigan City deal may ultimately change that reality however.

What if Open Class directors got together and decided they didn't want DCI judging? How much would they save per show? How many more shows could they develop by cutting the sponsorship costs for hosting a show? How important is competition as compared to performance opportunities?

I'm just asking...perhaps my thoughts are too out there for Open Class directors, but if I was in their shoes...I'd take 4-5 more performances for my members in exchange for a score by judges and a placement versus other corps.

Also, if it cost less to produce a DCI Open Class show, perhaps the corps could get at least some payment for their performances.

I'd appreciate feedback on these ideas. Too far out there?

Thanks.

Oh? What's the talk on this forum right now? Spartans and their famous financial crisis taking them out of action for '09.

Good example of what I am saying...their financial issues were not the root cause of their failure...it was the internal issues that led them to that pint.

Now, add to that the cost increases associated with Bb/F horns, and you can see how one might attribute the continuing failures of some corps, in part, to Bb/F horns. Of course, this is the part you will debate....but at least you should have no more need to act mystified at the concept.

Cut the snide and sarcastic comments.

What increased cost of Bb/F horns? Corps need to have horns to play on.

What increased cost of Bb/F horns? Corps need to have horns to play on.

And if I remember correctly, wasn't one of the selling points of the rule change the idea that Bb/F brass -- because it was more readily available -- would be cheaper that the same horns in G -- a key used ONLY in drum corps??

And if I remember correctly, wasn't one of the selling points of the rule change the idea that Bb/F brass -- because it was more readily available -- would be cheaper that the same horns in G -- a key used ONLY in drum corps??

Plus there is a huge after-market for the horns that allow corps to stay current at lower net cost.

Plus there is a huge after-market for the horns that allow corps to stay current at lower net cost.

I'd forgotten about that.

'Course, there is a LOT more difference between various Bb horns from the same maker than there ever were in the Gs...the cost of the high end Bb/F lines are on a par with the Gs, if I remember...but you can hit the field with a lower level model that's affordable. That wasn't the case with the Gs.

'Course, there is a LOT more difference between various Bb horns from the same maker than there ever were in the Gs...the cost of the high end Bb/F lines are on a par with the Gs, if I remember...but you can hit the field with a lower level model that's affordable. That wasn't the case with the Gs.

That's a great point, Sam. There are a variety of levels of horns in Bb/F so that a startup corps could, if it desired, purchase less expensive horns to get themselves going.

Anyone got an idea how easy it is for corps to sell the used horns? And what kind of a savings is it for someone to by a used corps horn instead of used (like price is usually half, etc).

Just hard for me to get the idea that there is that big of a market for a couple hundred used horns every year. Do schools actually buy that much used equipment instead of having students bring their own. I know my college band had it's own horns but they were bought new and maintained/repaired so they lasted quite a while.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari