If DCP existed in 1979/1980

I actually understand that this is an absurd hypothetical, but I wonder if the average DCPer could select the corps of their choice, pluck it through a time warp onto a field like Camp Randall (or for the truly time challenged Roosevelt Stadium) and watch it today with today's eyes and ears what would they think?

I wonder to what degree tht old tee shirt "The older I get the better I was" would come into play?

Just musing. I'm sort of glad we can't do it, but I was reading where someone said the DVDs don't do the corps justice. I wonder if our memories do either?

I'd still like to see the '84 Garfield show one more time (right after 84 BD to give it context. Probably a few more, too. Wonder what I''d think now?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey now - there's nothing geeky about science fiction.... transformer.gifoneye.gif2kcylon.gif

I actually understand that this is an absurd hypothetical, but I wonder if the average DCPer could select the corps of their choice, pluck it through a time warp onto a field like Camp Randall (or for the truly time challenged Roosevelt Stadium) and watch it today with today's eyes and ears what would they think?

I wonder to what degree tht old tee shirt "The older I get the better I was" would come into play?

Just musing. I'm sort of glad we can't do it, but I was reading where someone said the DVDs don't do the corps justice. I wonder if our memories do either?

I'd still like to see the '84 Garfield show one more time (right after 84 BD to give it context. Probably a few more, too. Wonder what I''d think now?

One can watch the 1984 Cadets show again. Anytime you want. You can sign up for DCI Fan Network and the Finals performance is available for listening and viewing on your computer screen.

Now, a note of caution : if we ask any drum corps fan of today, even one with lets say only a year's experience of folllowing the activity, if they agree that listening or watching a DVD is nowhere close to the real experience of actually witnessing that Corps live, most would say " absolutely "..... seeing and hearing a Corps live is 100 times better than watching it recreated thru a DVD. In other words, the DVD can't possibly do justice to actually seeing and hearing that Corps..... any Corps..... live.

Thus, it is also true then that watching a video of ( say ) a Corps from previous decades is likewise not in any way truly representative of how good he show was when seen and heard live. When coupled with the fact that the audio and video reproductions of live shows from decades ago were inferior in terms of audio and video quality, one needs to put this in context when looking at a previous decades Corps performance through the dated lens of that audio- video reproduction of the event.

Edited by BRASSO

Actually... after reading through my post... I think i actually side more with you Jeff than I thought I did.

and you brought up a great point. most of the serious change happened between 83 when the sheets changed to build up and probably 2000. the game totally changed when Cadets became the Cadets and everyone else tried to copy in their own way. like the old shirt said....first we zigged, then everybody zigged.

now...they are seriously zagging...but luckily i dont see as many trying to zag.

there's a lot of things from back then i am glad are gone to be honest. i absolutely love the growth of the pit. i am a fan of some of the beter designed total show concepts.

but i also miss the jump up and scream factor you had 3/4 times in a show then compared to an ovation (sometimes too polite) now at the end.

last year, Phantom managed to combine old time crowd off their ### appeal with todays design.

here's hoping more discover that

The thread says 79/80, had some thoughts about 79 and now there's talk of 83/84, kinda confusing? 79-09 long time...to 2009 CMMs; have good camps and a great summer! We didn't have internet in 79 but the message is the same. All the best.

What is with DCP and hypothetical time travel questions as of late? It this community becoming more sci-fi obsessed than it was before.

I'm not sure our bando image can endure this increase in prepubescent thought any longer.

I make a motion to ban hypothetical time travel threads.

Then can we talk about DCs in alternate universes? <$1 to Marvel Comics>

There would be the usual snobby nosed, high brow college music majors who still, for whatever reason, actually attended shows, who would say that Spirit and Madison sound crass and way out of tune from playing too loud.....in fact calling it unmusical!

There would have been a lot of people demanding to put Crossmen and Troopers both in finals, just like the IC Reveries in 66 during their end zone sit-in.

There would be the usual snobby nosed, high brow college music majors who still, for whatever reason, actually attended shows, who would say that Spirit and Madison sound crass and way out of tune from playing too loud.....in fact calling it unmusical!

There would have been a lot of people demanding to put Crossmen and Troopers both in finals, just like the IC Reveries in 66 during their end zone sit-in.

These are almost exact words I said after this season....