DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

First of all, I want to thank Peggly43 for recognizing what I think is the beauty of DCA. The fans REALLY ARE first and foremost with DCA. I also appreciate discussions like this. They show a certain passion for what I enjoy, and that pleases me.

As to the idea of combining DCA and DCI into one massive championship week, I've thought about this, but have come to the conclusion, things are pretty much where they need to be right now.

There really are TWO different audiences for our current activity. I doubt very many of the DCI demographic will have enough interest in the DCA product to cause them to double the expense to enjoy their "annual fix" of drum corps. Same can be said for DCA regulars. That said, Indianapolis IS a pretty cool expansion destination for DCA but, really, how much cheaper can it be to fly from San Francisco to Indy vs. San Francisco to Rochester (or Buffalo)?

I am VERY familiar with Indy. I go there every year for the 500. It's a wonderful place. There is NO other facility at Indy to host the DCA Championship portion, other than Lucas Oil Stadium. I really don't think DCA can afford that size venue on its own. That's "biggie" number one.

Second, DCA, being a weekend activity as Gary pointed out, does require that third day off that Labor Day Weekend affords. Scheduling the DCA Championship (and all of its ancillary components) to any weekend that does NOT include a third day, that most folks are off, is pretty tough.

AT THE PRESENT TIME, Rochester is where it's at for DCA in my mind. That city breaks its back to make DCA, and those who love it, happy. I agree, the stadium is too small there but, there are ways to find revenue beyond ticket sales to the venue. Almost everything required of our DCA Weekend can be found in Rochester, and WE KNOW IT! That's difficult to leave.

I'll say this, while Allentown once worked for DCA, the current Allentown pales in comparison to what Rochester has to offer to DCA. Rochester has proven to be a SOLID host for what we enjoy. Some other location COULD come along that provides more (I thought Winston-Salem was it) but, right now, Rochester is where it's at. I have a great time there and could go there for many years to come.

As spectators, championship really is what WE make it. We can choose to enjoy Rochester (or Indy) for all it offers, or we can choose to stay in our hotel room and order-in pizza. I chose to capitalize on all the Rochester has available and have NOT been disappointed. I'm OK going to Rochester EVERY year!

It's something like the Kentucky Derby. Louisville (been there, done that) CAN be a destination worth visiting every year, but that decision is solely on US.

I wish Allen Buell and his team all the best weather Nature can provide this Labor Day Weekend!

:worthy:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred makes excellent points in his observations and comments. I agree completely that DCA competition, and Alumni, do connect more to the fans. Oddly, perhaps, these fans are us. This can be said of DCI as well.

The issue as I see it is DCA cannot remove a month of its season. It IS a weekend activity. Adding a show, where all of DCA can come together, would be a midseason(perhaps first) performance. A show in the Midwest, where there are presumably thousands of drum corps fans who may have never seen a DCA show or a mini-corps. These folks could be in their late 30’s through 60’s, though all ages may want to watch.

When the DCA portion is done, games, clinics, carnivals, festivals, lot rehearsals, something for two days for locals and anyone or group who hangs around or arrives for the next big drum corps portion of the week, DCI. They are all is going to Indy anyway, maybe arriving on Monday.

The entire concept of the proposed event I do not think can be funded either singly or in partnership by DCA and DCI. The thought here is to acquire corporate sponsorship(s) of the event. (or one big Daddy Warbucks) Some travel expense could be in the offing. This could greatly benefit both entities. It would need some excellent Marketing.

If anything, what a party it would be. :worthy:

Let The Games Continue.

Edited by Mellofello01

i'm just curious. i haven't been to a show in many years. what kind of people go to the shows? are they old corps members and people connected to drum corps? or are there a lot of people off the srteet showing up? when i marched many moons ago we had people from off the street coming to all the shows. they were't connected in any way. this was why we had very big crowds at a lot of shows. so can somebody answer this question?

to answer Don's question

DCA fans = a very large percentage of older former drum corps people... average age considerably higher than DCI - in the case of Rochester area we pick up some former drum corps fans from western NY, local corps supporters and family and GREAT support from the former drum corps heartland that was Ontario Canada... (and to a lesser degree Quebec)

We also get and appreciate the support of the Alumni Corps and the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame...

DCI fans = parents, 40 ish yuppies with 19 year old kids marching and a lot of bandos... the percentage of "old" drum corps people has diminished dramatically... mostly because they are - well? - OLD...

Everyone knows I love all drum corps and have been very involved in DCI corps... but the one thing thing that always seemed to me was that - as much as I love going to DCI - it kind of seemed like "work" while as much as DCA is a lot of work for me personally - it always kind of seems like "vacation" to me...

does that make any sense?

to answer Don's question

DCA fans = a very large percentage of older former drum corps people... average age considerably higher than DCI - in the case of Rochester area we pick up some former drum corps fans from western NY, local corps supporters and family and GREAT support from the former drum corps heartland that was Ontario Canada... (and to a lesser degree Quebec)

We also get and appreciate the support of the Alumni Corps and the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame...

DCI fans = parents, 40 ish yuppies with 19 year old kids marching and a lot of bandos... the percentage of "old" drum corps people has diminished dramatically... mostly because they are - well? - OLD...

Everyone knows I love all drum corps and have been very involved in DCI corps... but the one thing thing that always seemed to me was that - as much as I love going to DCI - it kind of seemed like "work" while as much as DCA is a lot of work for me personally - it always kind of seems like "vacation" to me...

does that make any sense?

yes . that's is what i thought. so times have changed. being that as it may then probably rochester is that best place.........at least for the forseable future. you go where the money is.

Tom

Yes, it does make sense. DCA I think has a lot of camaraderie going on between all the groups, members and staffs. Some good times, great stories, seeing old friends. Do a show, see a show, see some friends. Hang out.

DCI I think has a lot of camaraderie within each group, its members and staffs. More like: Do a show. "No time to say hello. Goodbye!" See a bus. Next!

Vacation v. Work

Only thing I can add is that some of those 40ish yuppies also have kids in DCA.

For DCA Championships, Rochester works great. The city gives DCA the keys. Can't ask for much more than that.

Edited by Mellofello01

If it wasn't finals for DCA and just a regular show...maybe. 3 - 4 weeks is HUGE. Look at the progress most corps do in August.

I agree...... the all-age corps really pick up steam in mid-to-late August.

IMO, a DCA championship in early August would see many corps in less-than-championship form.

And let's not forget some of the corps in the new DCA regional areas.... Central, South..... who sometimes don't START their competitive season until late July/early August.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I agree...... the all-age corps really pick up steam in mid-to-late August.

IMO, a DCA championship in early August would see many corps in less-than-championship form.

And let's not forget some of the corps in the new DCA regional areas.... Central, South..... who sometimes don't START their competitive season until late July/early August.

Fran

True. Last year's Class A Champions didn't post their first score until early August, I think. Most of the time these corps do not post scores until late because there are no shows offered until late in the South or Central regions. I suppose if they offered shows earlier, corps would post scores earlier.

I live a little over 100 miles from Rochester so of course I love the championships here. The city , police, politians etc really work hard to make us enjoy Rochester. I am one who also happens to think if the Championships were to move some what South or West it would be very healthy, but the time isn't quite right yet.

But the real point of my post is this. While this thread has been a love fest for Rochester for treating the DCA with open arms , there is something that should be mentioned. The DCA itself has done everything possible to improve the Championships for Corps and Fans. Every year for the last Three years, strating with Fred ,Peashey ,Pronti, Buell and Corps directors have asked for our input and they actually listen and changes have been made for us.

We have asked and you can see every year improvements that were actually asked for. Parking set up, food, hotel bookings, I&E staging. Recently DCA has appointed Allen Buell to lead the search for a new Championship site. If anyone can find another city to host DCA and even improve what we have, it will be Allen.

But for now Gil Sylva and his board have done a great job and as a long time fan I thankyou.

I agree 100%

OK - - here is a thought for DCA....... And I am ready to take the daggers for this - - but before you read think bigger picture and future......

What if DCI and DCA came together and created one whole week of Drum Corps Finals....????

DCA would go as follows:

Same schedule as they have now: Fri I&E, Saturday DCA Championships, Sunday Alumni event

Then Mon & Tuesday have DCA and DCI create some kind of merging events, like marching clinics, music clinics, etc..... parties. That kind of stuff for the in between.

Wed the DCI schedule kicks in :

August 5 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI Individual & Ensemble Competition

August 6 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI World Championships World Class Quarterfinals

August 7 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI World Championships World Class Semifinals

August 7 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI World Championships Open Class Semifinals

August 8 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI World Championships World Class Finals

August 8 - Indianapolis, IN

DCI World Championships Open Class Finals

----------------------------------------------

Now lets see what this does for our mutual interests.....

Brings together people en masse who enjoy essentially the same activity - - in times, when numbers are down, participation is becoming economically more difficult for all ages, etc.

I think the interests of DCA and DCI are mutual in a lot of respects and maybe with the economic world we live in now, it might be time to start bringing those things to the table.

That doesn't mean they can't maintain their own created identities... But I know for one as a participant in an Alumni corp, that the odds of me hanging around for the whole week to see all of this stuff in one place at one time is high.

I think DCI and DCA benefit - where do a lot of kids what to go when they age out - - - hopefully to continue marching..... to DCA. Wouldn't a mutually created event, increase the likelihood that we keep kids in this activity and give them a place to go to when they do age out ???

Money - - Corps don't have it, spectators can't travel all over the place 100 times a summer to see all of their drum corps interests, condensing things - - this idea will relieve some of this for all of us. One place, one time, you get to see and do everything during this week.

Putting two pools of people together, brings together two pools of money, into one event...... MORE, more, more for everyone.

Recruitment - - I think I touched on this - - - giving kids a place to go...... Kids need to know and have access to DCA and all the wonderful alumni groups that are out there..... This brings the water to the horse, so to speak. Can you imagine - - a retreat that encompassess the TOP 12 of DCI and the top of DCA..... and maybe even perhaps the Alumni exhibition corps...... Amazing. (don't worry I already know there will be those that say we are not individualizing the corps achievements here, but I think this can be pulled off and maintain the efforts of the top 12 and DCA and still put on a show unlike any other)

---------------------------

Here are what the stone throwers will start with:

DCA/DCI - - two separate and distinct operations......

My answer - - that was great when we had money and people - - - $'s and people are seeping away each year and they can and should absolutely stay separate and distinct.

DCA/DCI - - history of the two keeps them separate

My answer - - same as the above...... we can keep the histories as they are and move forward together

DCA/DCI - - are you suggesting merging the two ??

My answer - NO NO NO NO NO

I am positing that we create a week long event that encompasses both sets of championships - - THAT IS IT.

Once DCA is over -- all those people will leave and won't stay.....

Really ??? You won't know until you try it..... So I have no "good" answer for that.

and I am sure there will be more.....

But I think the financial reality of what we do - - along with the dwindling supporters, attendance, volunteers, etc. - - also creates a situation where we need to start to think outside the box.

I realize this is outside the box, but maybe a discussion can be held that flushes out the concept of a one week event that encompassess both championships.....

and please don't get caught up in details like well, this is usually at this time of the day and if we do this that will change..... blah blah blah......

that isn't the point of this......

my only concern is DCA would be done a month sooner, and since DCA corps are weekend only, the quality of the DCA corps will not be what we are used to.