DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

DCA President Gil Silva and the DCA Executive Board are pleased to announce that the DCA World Championships will be staying in Drum Corps Friendly Rochester, New York for at least 2 more years. The 2009 championship completes a record setting 4 year run in Rochester. Inquiries and bids were...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...5&Itemid=39

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXCELLENT CHOICE!

It's hard to put a value on interest and support from the local host community, but that value is HUGE. These are not times to roll the dice, but to take comfort in something that works and continues to appreciate what we have to offer. I congratulate the entire Rochester team.

Well let me be the first on this forum to state that I am disappointed. Sure, Rochester provides value beyond measure when it comes to DCA and being a drum corps friendly area. NOTE: This is my opinion only and not my corps' or anywhere else where I might be affiliated. But I was hoping for somewhere much closer than Rochester. It's the big "WHOA!" on the travel budget. Something great must really be going on in Rochester besides the Dinosaur BBQ :smile: I have only been in DCA for 10 years and have experienced 3 championship venues. I thought the next bid submission would bring Finals a little closer to the midsection of the country or crazily enough, closer to the south. But, I do see the positives from the administrative stand point. However, again, I am only expressing how I feel.

And if anyone says to submit a bid, I did request a bid packet. But seriously, all of DCA traveling to Orlando/Tampa? Not so much. It would be awesome, but not so much.

On to Rochester!

See everyone on the field at some point and time this season.

While there was some bid interest in areas that would have shaved some miles off the trip from Orlando, what boiled down to serious bids... were all in a very narrow range miles wise...

The geography of driving north from Orlando makes the variations very slight...

Orlando to Rochester per mapquest is 1250 miles

serious contenders were 1100 - 1200 and 1300 and those locations would have all been considerably farther for the majority of corps... (due to the numbers of corps coming east) total travel miles for all corps competing in prelims would have been significantly increased.

The bottom line is the last paragraph of the press release. Do we really want to gamble with uncertainty in these troubled economic times? I repeat - this was the SMART decision for all.

Personally, I'm all for a championship in Orlando and JJ would make the perfect chairman for the event... now, get the MOUSE (or the huge Orlando Convention Bureau) to contribute enough to take care of the corps transportation and a quality stadium package and away we go... you now have your challenge for 2012...

While there was some bid interest in areas that would have shaved some miles off the trip from Orlando, what boiled down to serious bids... were all in a very narrow range miles wise...

The geography of driving north from Orlando makes the variations very slight...

Orlando to Rochester per mapquest is 1250 miles

serious contenders were 1100 - 1200 and 1300 and those locations would have all been considerably farther for the majority of corps... (due to the numbers of corps coming east) total travel miles for all corps competing in prelims would have been significantly increased.

The bottom line is the last paragraph of the press release. Do we really want to gamble with uncertainty in these troubled economic times? I repeat - this was the SMART decision for all.

Personally, I'm all for a championship in Orlando and JJ would make the perfect chairman for the event... now, get the MOUSE (or the huge Orlando Convention Bureau) to contribute enough to take care of the corps transportation and a quality stadium package and away we go... you now have your challenge for 2012...

As much as I would have loved to have the DCA Championships in the Area somewhere between Boston, Mass. and Baltimore,MD. area. OR - Who could not want to go to Orlando, Jacksonville, or Tampa in September? I understand.

BUT!

As I grew up in Drum and Bugle Corps. Nationals almost always was a long trip. Costing a lot of money. Yes, even then. (Remember the Junior Corps even stayed at motels, and no Food trucks etc.) The VFW and American Legion did not ask Drum Corps where to be. Heck it would have been in Roosevelt Stadium almost every year. maybe some years trips to Boston, Philly, and Chicago. If left up to the the Corps.

So if you have a place that FIGHTS to have it. That brings in the bucks that get passed on to the groups. You better darn sure have a "GREAT BID". Just a Good Bid will be beat by Rochester every time. They have it. AND! Work Hard to keep it as long as they can.

Build the Regions. Have a Regional Champioship. Stay in your Region as much as you can. Maybe cross over to the next nearest Region for some shows. Then take the ONE big trip to the Championships.

....take care of the corps transportation....

Not to be inflammatory, Tom, but you might want to explain this one. To me, it implies that DCA Finals may be moved to FL if the sponsors would pay the transportation costs of the corps. Does this create a standard that does not currently exist? Has this point always been on the table?

Though I am also not happy with the continuing (and growing) huge burden on our operating budget, I am looking forward to traveling to Rochester again this year. I truly doubt that any city can do better.

Edited by cmdiddle

So there is different stipulations for different venues? Don't recall Rochester contributing any money to corps...especially when gas/diesel was at the highest level.

Please explain.

Don't know which groups placed a bid, but definately agree that until the country gets over it's current economic status, staying put (Rochester) is a WISE decision.

We will all have to wait a few years to find out if the championship will go beyond the Rochester borders...or better yet close to or pass the Mason-Dixon line.

A new bidder for championships would have to guarantee ticket sales to equal those of Rochester, before you even begin to think about transportation. The revenue of said ticket sales is distributed to these corps as share points earned during the regular season. So, to relocate DCAs for a loss means less money for all, hence the risk they are talking about.

With my official capacity... it's difficult for me to say ANYTHING without someone reading something into it that wasn't there... this is one of those cases... truth is, I am/was totally out of this (the bid process)... I have no inside information on details and would not disclose them if I did...

I do know that I for one had assumed the championship would be moved... but when I walked into the Eastman Museum at 8:45AM one Saturday in December and saw both Mayor Duffy and County Executive Maggie Brooks standing there, I went "wow... what's up" - then they made it clear that they wanted us to stay in Rochester and that they wanted to know from us what it would take... I can only assume they were told and ante'd up...

My comments about Orlando were half joking with my good friend (JJ) and half spelling out the obvious which is that one of the ways to lure the voting members into an area outside of the "traditional" DCA Northeast would be to offer additional transportation funds to "equalize" the bids... So no, DCA is not soliciting a bid from Orlando... lol... but hmmmmmm there certainly are a lot of reasons it could be one of the places where a package might be able to be put together...

After the miserable nightmare of Lackawanna County/WilkesBarre/Scranton and their inbred retarted ### bullying police farce (that's right, FARCE) I'd be JUST fine if DCA Finals NEVER left Rochester!!

We love Rochester, and.....more importantly......ROCHESTER LOVES AND APPRECIATES US!!!!

Congratulations on a move that not only makes sense financially, but keeps us in a community where the fans love us, the law enforcement agencies DO THEIR JOB of public protection without harrassment, and we have access to that....er, kick ### BBQ place whose name I can't think of, and LETS NOT FORGET it's the HOME of the GARBAGE PLATE!