DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

In a brainstorming session there are no bad ideas. Every idea a person has should be put out there for commentary. This is one such. Now...people will then start to look at it and discuss it...that is the purpose of such a session. So don't feel bad if it gets shot at...your idea may be the genesis of something that a consensus finds workable.

As for the DCI corps and scheduling...if anything, they keep moving earlier...not later. In addition to school district starting times...you have many universities...most, from what I see, that start in August. The average age, if I recall something I read a while back, of a DCI World Class member is 19.something....most of the members are in college.

Factor in the number who are in HS or college bands that have their camps in earlier August...and you see why DCI puts champs where they are.

But as I said in an earlier post...as regards DCA having post-champs shows on their schedule...we had that in my junior marching era pre-DCI...though we tended to have a lot of holes after VFW Nats as kids went back to college.

but......in todays day and age...having shows after finals is like drunking something ice cold 2 hours after you have teeth pulled...painful and a waste of time.

finals is anymore conidered the end all e all....after finals, people's commitment will die out, and corps will go out with lots of holes like I remember seeing Crossmen do at i think it was Gardeb state or one of those circuits.

back then yeah it worked, but corps were a lot more local based. now even DCA corps have people who drive for hours to get there for the weekend

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but......in todays day and age...having shows after finals is like drunking something ice cold 2 hours after you have teeth pulled...painful and a waste of time.

finals is anymore conidered the end all e all....after finals, people's commitment will die out, and corps will go out with lots of holes like I remember seeing Crossmen do at i think it was Gardeb state or one of those circuits.

back then yeah it worked, but corps were a lot more local based. now even DCA corps have people who drive for hours to get there for the weekend

I see you point, and I am not saying that I agree with shows after finals, but DCI did that with Tour of Champions. There weren't holes in every corps after that and I think it is safe to say the shows were still good.

I see you point, and I am not saying that I agree with shows after finals, but DCI did that with Tour of Champions. There weren't holes in every corps after that and I think it is safe to say the shows were still good.

\back in the day before dca the A.L. NATS & VFW NATS were held in mid august or so. there were shows after that but really nobody really cared about them. they were anticlimatic. only in 1964 that i can remember it held any meaning to cru. cabs won the nat's and came to syracuse. we were hyped becuase we wanted to beat the champs. and we did. but i still think cabs didn't care if they won that night. for them it was meaningless. to me they didn't really try. no disrespect to them. they had a great corps that year.

Oh...it was not ideal even then...those shows were like an afterthought...even NJ States in Wildwood. Just trying to see if there is any way the idea of moving champs up to run with DCI champs is possible...probably isn't a very feasible idea. Plus the person who pointed out that DCA corps really come into their own in August...to peak at champs over Labor Day. It would be hard to get them to their peak in early August.

I think the issue is simple.

DCA members have lives outside of corps that they have to work around. Families, full-time jobs, the added time expense of commuting to each reahearsal (even if you're local, you're driving more than any DCI kid has to). This limits us to weekends, and probably at most one night each week to rehearse. Even as the schedule is now, going all the way to Labor Day, we simply don't have the time to create as intricate (which some, especially DCI, fans equate to "interesting") and well-finished shows as the top DCI corps. By removing a month, or even two weeks of our season, one of two things would have to happen. The shows would be even less intricate (equated by many to be "more boring") or less finished, either way diminishing the quality of the DCA shows.

And put these new lower-quality shows in a week-long event with World Class DCI corps who have had every day for the entire season (and maybe even an extended season as part of the compromise) to perfect their shows...

My guess is that not many of the DCI fans would show any interest to the DCA corps that are there.

Maybe DCA can be like NASCAR and hold its biggest event (like NASCAR's Daytona 500) at the beginning of the season in June, and then just have "regular-season" shows after that.

"Tentative DCA Schedule:

1) Mid-June: Championships

2) Late June-Labor Day Weekend: Bunch Of Other Stuff"

:thumbup::thumbup::tongue::tongue:

Fran

so does that make finals end up being that points chase thing they do at the end of the season?

Band season starts the week after DCA in NYS...earlier in other places. Many staff and even members work with bands and students that march DCA are definitely back in college.

Donny

back in the day before dca the A.L. NATS & VFW NATS were held in mid august or so. there were shows after that but really nobody really cared about them. they were anticlimatic. only in 1964 that i can remember it held any meaning to cru. cabs won the nat's and came to syracuse.

??????? The 1964 AL Nationals were held in October, in Dallas. Cabs won, beating the Brigs. Other srs in attendance included the Boys of 76 and the Valley City ND Redcoats.

??????? The 1964 AL Nationals were held in October, in Dallas. Cabs won, beating the Brigs. Other srs in attendance included the Boys of 76 and the Valley City ND Redcoats.

wrong. the A.L nats were held sept. 21st 1964. anyway the winning streak of the cabs was broken

American Legion

National Championships

September 21, 1964

Dallas, Texas

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 84.766

2 Syracuse Brigadiers 80.780

3 Boys of '76 67.050

4 Governaires 52.583

5 Chattanooga Volunteers 40.300

6 Albuquerque Dukes 39.250

7 Valley City, N. Dakota post 31.483