Best First Place Show?

PR 08

I am the lead complainer about The Countdown including so many from the most recent year and here I am voting for Phantom Regiment 2008 as the best #1 show of all time. Well, maybe SCV 89 will catch up again after the glow has worn off but I saw PR many times last year and that show moved me like never before.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Star 93 :withstupid:

Oh, wait, um....feeling like some jazz today, so let's go with Blue Devils 2003 (with Cadets and Cavies 2000 and SCV 89 trailing right there!)

1972. Kingsmen x

1973. Santa Clara Vanguard

1974. Santa Clara Vanguard

1975. Madison Scouts xx

1976. Blue Devils x

1977. Blue Devils

1978. Santa Clara Vanguard

1979. Blue Devils

1980. Blue Devils

1981. Santa Clara Vanguard

1982. Blue Devils xx

1983. Garfield Cadets x

1984. Garfield Cadets xxxx

1985. Garfield Cadets x

1986. Blue Devils

1987. Garfield Cadets

1988. Madison Scouts x

1989. Santa Clara Vanguard xx

1990. Cadets of Bergen County

1991. Star of Indiana xxxx

1992. The Cavaliers

1993. Cadets of Bergen County x

1994. Blue Devils x

1995. The Cavaliers xx

1996a. Blue Devils

1996b. Phantom Regiment

1997. Blue Devils

1998. The Cadets x

1999a. Blue Devils x

1999b. Santa Clara Vanguard xx

2000a. The Cadets x

2000b. The Cavaliers

2001. The Cavaliers

2002. The Cavaliers x

2003. Blue Devils xx

2004. The Cavaliers x

2005. The Cadets xxx

2006. The Cavaliers xx

2007. Blue Devils x

2008. Phantom Regiment xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TOP 3

1. '08 Phantom - 22

2. '84 Cadets & '91 Star - 4

Uh....yeah.....blowout....

Phantom '08 wins

Must've been the cool thing to do. :withstupid:

Being in the stands at finals I am not at all surprised by this. They won us over.

I am surprised that Phantom Regiment 2008 is going to be the winner. I love the show, was hoping it would win finals, and it did, but it almost seems a bit soon to reward this show with greatest all time. I don't know if people have really judged this show against the other greats at any significant level of assessment before giving their vote. Then again, they don't have to, and this is all in fun and OPINION!

Honestly, I don't see PR 08 as the best all time. I think it was a great win for Phantom, especially since it was their first as sole champion. It is a super show, but in my opinion there have been better, more demanding and artistically crafted shows that have won finals.

My top 5 all time are (at present):

1. Garfield Cadets 1987

2. Star of Indiana 1991

3. Blue Devils 1994

4. Garfield Cadets 1984

5. Blue Devils 1986

Yes, I am in my 40s and do prefer shows from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, however, I would give some serious honorable mention to 2002 Cavaliers, 2005 Cadets (maybe one of the best performing groups we have seen EVER, even if people didn't care for the show), and the Blue Devils in 2003 were just amazing.

Also, Cadets and Cavaliers of 2000 might be the best one-two punch that tied, and both shows were absolutely fantastic. But the Cadets did not perform all that well on finals night, and the Cavaliers kind of jumped into things because of that.

The winner to me is STILL Garfield Cadets 1987. That "Appalachian Spring" production was a masterpiece, complete with George Zingali drill, one of the most impressive musical arrangements we have heard, with beautiful choreography, dancing, ballet movement, a story that is subtle and complex, yet carried almost perfectly throughout the entire show, and we get every type of GE there is. We get the romantic, the subtle, the sublime, the OH MY GOD, and we get caught off guard with high points that milk the audience in every phrase. The dissolving/reappearing company front, the majesty, the closing, it was all just a touch of MAGIC (as Rondo would say), but without props. Did the show have some flaws? sure, they all do. But when it comes to the combination of all the elements, this is your winner.

Garfield Cadets 1987.

I am surprised that Phantom Regiment 2008 is going to be the winner. I love the show, was hoping it would win finals, and it did, but it almost seems a bit soon to reward this show with greatest all time. I don't know if people have really judged this show against the other greats at any significant level of assessment before giving their vote. Then again, they don't have to, and this is all in fun and OPINION!

Honestly, I don't see PR 08 as the best all time. I think it was a great win for Phantom, especially since it was their first as sole champion. It is a super show, but in my opinion there have been better, more demanding and artistically crafted shows that have won finals.

My top 5 all time are (at present):

1. Garfield Cadets 1987

2. Star of Indiana 1991

3. Blue Devils 1994

4. Garfield Cadets 1984

5. Blue Devils 1986

Yes, I am in my 40s and do prefer shows from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, however, I would give some serious honorable mention to 2002 Cavaliers, 2005 Cadets (maybe one of the best performing groups we have seen EVER, even if people didn't care for the show), and the Blue Devils in 2003 were just amazing.

Also, Cadets and Cavaliers of 2000 might be the best one-two punch that tied, and both shows were absolutely fantastic. But the Cadets did not perform all that well on finals night, and the Cavaliers kind of jumped into things because of that.

The winner to me is STILL Garfield Cadets 1987. That "Appalachian Spring" production was a masterpiece, complete with George Zingali drill, one of the most impressive musical arrangements we have heard, with beautiful choreography, dancing, ballet movement, a story that is subtle and complex, yet carried almost perfectly throughout the entire show, and we get every type of GE there is. We get the romantic, the subtle, the sublime, the OH MY GOD, and we get caught off guard with high points that milk the audience in every phrase. The dissolving/reappearing company front, the majesty, the closing, it was all just a touch of MAGIC (as Rondo would say), but without props. Did the show have some flaws? sure, they all do. But when it comes to the combination of all the elements, this is your winner.

Garfield Cadets 1987.

Nice. And I agree simply because you mirror my sentiments about the '91 Star show. That was George Zingali's last and if anything could have ever been better than (as you describe it: "... but without props) Garfield's '87 show, it would have to be the magic touch of George's spectacle of the Respighi's Pines Of Rome. Can't say much more but repeat you've put it beautifully while using up all the adjectives I would have for Star.

And I call that passion with a vocabulary. As a 58+ prehistoric fossil who loves and remembers marching during the sixties & early seventies and following the seventies, eighties, nineties and into the 21st Century, we like that in a fan.

Thanks,

Puppet

Puppet

star '91