Economy Effecting DCA Corps Memberships

:thumbdown::thumbup: I don't get how anyone can claim that Drum Corps isn't affected by the econ.. I feel blessed to work as a Music Teacher... because I get paid to do what I love. BUT I certainly don't take that for granted. And dont think that I'm not saving up every penny I can just incase... so yes, the econ. has definitly (A)ffected my participation in DC. Deny it if you wish, but you are living an egocentric pipe-dream.

The Rochester School District is a prime example of how "important" the Arts are being viewed in the big picture... over 50 Art/music/phys-ed jobs are being cut or cut back to half time positions. NOBODY is immune to cutbacks. One of these cuts in Rochester is a man who was awarded the "Mr. Hollands Opus" award. Sad, sad, sad. :lol: Agree, or disagree if you wish, but by cuts being made in our Nation's music programs, Drum Corps, and the future of Drum Corps is being affected.

To everyone looking for new work, or worrying and saving like me, good luck to you all. There IS a plan... but sometimes its hard to see what that is until far into the future.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 5 years ago I took a job at a charter school. I was not excited by this, but it was a job nonetheless. I was so happy I took this job because, while cuts are being made in FL, I still have a job with a big pay raise AND was just promoted to an administrator part time and for next year. I was waiting for DoD as well but here I will stay in Florida.

It is just life, I graduated with a degree in accounting in August 2008 - and I am still working Landscaping..

Economy sucks, I got over it - I will do anything to march

O.K. Spam....my turn.....Remember the great "Melli vs. Mello" debate...? (that was kinda fun) Anyway........you did not Graduate......that's physically impossible by one's self......You were "Graduated" would be more/most proper. SO THERE.....na, na....ni, na,na........ :thumbdown:

I haven't read any specifics here "denying" the recession.

I haven't read anyone who claimed drum corps is "doomed" as a result of the recession.

What I "did read" is that some people are determined not to let the recession get the better of them and their drum corps passions if at all possible.

I feel that the Economy is playing a roll but I also feel times have changed, and so have people. Regarding Drum Corps, Commitment Level is not as high as we expected it to be. Kids today, do not want to be tied up all sumer. Parents force their kids into the activity to get them out of the house. Once they find out how expensive the activity is they change their minds and then the commitment level drops by the way-side. We have found that to be true in our case. Plus people in our area are not interested in Drum Corp any kind of Drum Corps.

Furthermore, we have people who marched last year in DCA and have vowed never to do it again because of the expense. One individual said it took him 9 months to get out of debt due to Drum Corps conpetative commitment.

We are an all age Drum & Bugle Corp, only doing Parades for a few years. The Commitment level with us is low at this time and seems to appeal to our members.

So, it's not only the economy but the commitment level also (they JUST NO NOT WANT TO DO IT).

Joe Gagliano

1st Vice President/Assistant Executive Director

Purple Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps

Web Site: auburnpurplelancers.com

I don't know anybody who is losing their job because of the economy. Lets not exagerate. You're the doom and gloom guy sounding hysterical. If they do, they'll have to get another I guess.

Oh my GOD!!! Do you know anybody who works for a car dealership? A technician, service writer, sales rep etc? GM alone has announced that it is going to revoke the licenses of 1000 car dealerships before the end of the year... That my friend is 150,000 people out of work... Incidentally 20% of the US economy depends on the auto industry... There are parts vendors that will be closing, Ad agencies that will be shutting down and of course, more auto factory production workers will be laid off since the automakers are reducing their customer base by closing dealerships.

But hey lets just pretend it isn't happening so that people won't know about it! LOL

It seems to be an "If I told you a mouse could pull a house well then son... you better hook that mouse up" philosophy! I HATE THAT!!! Get a clue...

Oh my GOD!!! Do you know anybody who works for a car dealership? A technician, service writer, sales rep etc? GM alone has announced that it is going to revoke the licenses of 1000 car dealerships before the end of the year... That my friend is 150,000 people out of work... Incidentally 20% of the US economy depends on the auto industry... There are parts vendors that will be closing, Ad agencies that will be shutting down and of course, more auto factory production workers will be laid off since the automakers are reducing their customer base by closing dealerships.

But hey lets just pretend it isn't happening so that people won't know about it! LOL

It seems to be an "If I told you a mouse could pull a house well then son... you better hook that mouse up" philosophy! I HATE THAT!!! Get a clue...

Hey guys,let's all lighten up on MikeB,HUH?!He already posted his clarification and apology in this thread...... just sayin :thumbdown:

I haven't read any specifics here "denying" the recession.

I haven't read anyone who claimed drum corps is "doomed" as a result of the recession.

What I "did read" is that some people are determined not to let the recession get the better of them and their drum corps passions if at all possible.

Interestingly, the third sort of statement seems to come from, well, just about everyone.

Gotta love the internet, where people can spend much time and effort passionately agreeing with one another. :thumbdown:

Thanks Stanforj and Hairbear for understanding. I didn't mean to cause all this ruckus. People who are personally affected are understandably very sensitive on this subject. There are 2 drum corps here in Erie right now and I'm in both of them at age 53. For me, drum corps is my escape from all this and I'm going to live it and enjoy it for as long as I can. Hope you all do too.

Thanks Stanforj and Hairbear for understanding. I didn't mean to cause all this ruckus. People who are personally affected are understandably very sensitive on this subject. There are 2 drum corps here in Erie right now and I'm in both of them at age 53. For me, drum corps is my escape from all this and I'm going to live it and enjoy it for as long as I can. Hope you all do too.

BINGO!!! :thumbdown:

No matter if it may be DCA, DCI, Alumni, parade, etc. etc.; it can be a wonderful escape from the real life changes we all face from time to time.