"Lake Erie Thunder" Camp #9

This is Tom's wife Shelly, NOT Tom.

A few months ago Tom and I stopped in to a rehearsal. We were impressed by the amount of people who had come out for the horn line. When I inquired about the battery, I was told that there was some kind of deal with Lake Erie Percussion, but that they were finishing up their winter season and then would begin working with Thunder. It seems that since that commitment fell through Thunder had no choice, but to go inactive with so little time to try to "drum" up that section. It seems however, that the Statesmen will have a full drum line though...if you get my jist. :tongue: (this is only from what I Heard) The colorguard problem has to be factored in here too. For a couple of months some where asking about who and what they were going to do about that and couldn't get an answer right off.

The idea was nice, the recruiting needed more push. I had suggested several times that the community calendar, which is a free service, be used to televise the rehearsal dates and times and NEVER saw it advertised. This most certainly would have reached a broader base of people. I didn't see flyers around town, my kids didn't see any at school, I ONLY saw news of this new corps here.

It is sad to see the plug pulled, but as least the hope isn't completely dashed. I am not up on all the ins and outs of forming a corps, but in my opinion...Maybe they came out too early and should have had more ducks in a row and better commitments before officially announcing this whole thing. It is unfortunate too, that Erie really isn't the "Drum Corps" town it was YEARS ago.

IT was nice having Nick and Mikey B, over the other day. Chin up boys!!!! and...Yes Nick got Tom to drag his horn from the attic and play a little...Should've seen the dust that blew out of that thing!!! It was better than a smoke machine! :tongue: LOL

Here's to hoping you guys can come up with something! :tongue: I will do what I can to get the word out if they decide to try again. All you have to do is ask.

Edited by Tommy T-Bird

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that you all can work together over the summer to hold on to what you have and build on it. Do you have a "Lessons Learned" list? What did you learn from this experience and how can you make it better? I wish you all the very best and DON'T GIVE UP!!!

We appreciate the good wishes. Thunder was like a collection of all-stars. Folks from major DCI and DCA corps. I don't think many would stay and build a program this summer. Some are already in other corps. The point is moot anyway without management support. A local base of young people is needed. The only advice I would offer is to keep it fun and be flexible. If something or somebody is not working out, make a change. I wish them the best and will certainly support them in whatever they do.

Edited by Mike_B

I still say y'all should come out with a Chase-like program: All Sopranos, Mellos and Baris (where the Bari part is more like a 5th trumpet part in a jazz band). No Euphs, No Contras. Keep it in that 65-member zone. 36 horns (20/8/8), 12 field perc (5/3/4), 16 guard and 1 drum major. Forget about the pit entirely (save money and transportation hassle/costs)

I can see the Tshirts now:

-- "Lake Erie Thunder! Without all that low rumbling noise!"

-- Universal "NO" sign with a contra in it, and 20 sopranos blaring from outside the circle toward the center!

-- A 12-band Graphic Equalizer with all bass levels turned all the way down, and the trebles turned all the way up (lol, this is my fav!)

I'm not being flip. This would work. I'd pay to see it. There's an opportunity here, to do something completely different, and make it work with the current people. The upper and middle brass talent is there. The arranging talent is there. Take perceived limitations (time, money and low brass) and turn them into advantages. The current few Euph/Contra people can play Bari! You only need 12 percussion...if you advertise this as your mission, you'll get plenty of interest b/c the people know it'll be a select group.

Oh well...beating my head against the wall...

All the young'uns would be sayin', "Chase? Who's that?"

I still say y'all should come out with a Chase-like program: All Sopranos, Mellos and Baris (where the Bari part is more like a 5th trumpet part in a jazz band). No Euphs, No Contras. Keep it in that 65-member zone. 36 horns (20/8/8), 12 field perc (5/3/4), 16 guard and 1 drum major. Forget about the pit entirely (save money and transportation hassle/costs)

I can see the Tshirts now:

-- "Lake Erie Thunder! Without all that low rumbling noise!"

-- Universal "NO" sign with a contra in it, and 20 sopranos blaring from outside the circle toward the center!

-- A 12-band Graphic Equalizer with all bass levels turned all the way down, and the trebles turned all the way up (lol, this is my fav!)

I'm not being flip. This would work. I'd pay to see it. There's an opportunity here, to do something completely different, and make it work with the current people. The upper and middle brass talent is there. The arranging talent is there. Take perceived limitations (time, money and low brass) and turn them into advantages. The current few Euph/Contra people can play Bari! You only need 12 percussion...if you advertise this as your mission, you'll get plenty of interest b/c the people know it'll be a select group.

Oh well...beating my head against the wall...

Right about now that sounds great! :tongue: oh, sorry chefoh. (He was a contra player)

Thats ok mike.....i understand.....but i will miss all the contra solos i had...hehehe

I hope that you all can work together over the summer to hold on to what you have and build on it. Do you have a "Lessons Learned" list? What did you learn from this experience and how can you make it better? I wish you all the very best and DON'T GIVE UP!!!

THIS quote above is one of the, IF not the best replys here.

The Board of Directors are regrouping and assessing their options. In the meantime, they are inviting all members to play in the Thunderbirds. Both corps are under the same corporate organization.

Edited by Mike_B