"Lake Erie Thunder" Camp #9

The Board of Directors are regrouping and assessing their options. In the meantime, they are inviting all members to play in the Thunderbirds. Both corps are under the same corporate organization.

Which I never undestood....why not just come out with a Thunderbirds field show? What's with the "virtual separation?"

Must be politics somehwere...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please allow the corps management to determine what was best for the corps. Obviously you aren't involved in the corps so you don't know the whole story. If they feel they're not ready yet then trust their judgement.

Which I never undestood....why not just come out with a Thunderbirds field show? What's with the "virtual separation?"

I also wanted to add that maybe they have seen the errors of other corps in western PA and want to make sure that they come out "smoking" instead of just throwing a bunch of people out there and calling it a drum corps.

Please allow the corps management to determine what was best for the corps. Obviously you aren't involved in the corps so you don't know the whole story. If they feel they're not ready yet then trust their judgement.

A little pompous there, Keith, but OK. "You don't belong here, so run along little boy..."

To wit: Exactly how am I disallowing anything?

Some of the main players are posting here. Are you telling me to not even bother asking questions? Interesting...

Obviously, I don't know the whole story! That's why wondering about it here! Sheesh.

They can "feel" any way they want. It's not my concern. Has nothing to do with whether I trust their judgment or not! (If their feelings are based on whether a poster to DCP trusts their judgement, they're in big trouble!)

I can't believe someone [let alone Keith Hall] would post a "virtual spanking" to me on this, lol.

Erie was home to TWO corps...The Lake Erie Regiment (DCI div. III) and the Erie Thunderbirds Alumni Corps. The Regiment was a small contingent trying to keep alive in the div. III circut, but could not sustain membership for the summer traveling schedule, thus the idea to form an ALL AGE corps, "Lake Erie Thunder", and compete in "A" Class, DCA.

The thought pattern here was to afford those that still wanted to march - a weekend schedule - shows within 4 - 5- hours from Erie, and a chance for those in the Thunderbirds to combine with the younger members from the Regiment.

The Thunderbirds are an aging group (myself included), many of which may not want to, or cannot, march.....but still want to play!

It remains a great idea, and came very close to making it out this year except for battery and guard numbers.

Edited by Jeff Gibbens

We did want to come out smoking and we should have. We had all the pieces in place to do just that. The T-birds are an alumni / mini corps, we don't really march a show per say, either for physical or family/time/work related reasons. Some of us did both or tried to at least to help out. As I said in previous posts, I too wish we had formed closer ties. Seems like we should have been able to come out with something. I just play in the line......

Thanks Mike and Jeff, that all makes sense. I always thought Erie was a city of two drum corps, one DCI (Lake Erie Regiment) and one DCA (Erie Thunderbirds).

Then, out of nowhere, another DCA corps emerged (Lake Erie Thunder), but under the same "mamangement team" (BOD?) as Thunderbirds.

Now you say Thunderbirds is an Alumni coprs. That's cool...I guess I never knew that implied that the Thunderbirds would never march a corps again. Now I see Lake Erie Thunder was meant to fill that void, and start something fresh, not necessarily under the "Thunderbird" moniker. Makes sense!

Thanks again,

Bob (owner of a bona-fide Thunderbird patch, after playing contra for one Veterans Day show in early 2000s!)

Thanks Mike and Jeff, that all makes sense. I always thought Erie was a city of two drum corps, one DCI (Lake Erie Regiment) and one DCA (Erie Thunderbirds).

Then, out of nowhere, another DCA corps emerged (Lake Erie Thunder), but under the same "mamangement team" (BOD?) as Thunderbirds.

Now you say Thunderbirds is an Alumni coprs. That's cool...I guess I never knew that implied that the Thunderbirds would never march a corps again. Now I see Lake Erie Thunder was meant to fill that void, and start something fresh, not necessarily under the "Thunderbird" moniker. Makes sense!

Thanks again,

Bob (owner of a bona-fide Thunderbird patch, after playing contra for one Veterans Day show in early 2000s!)

Please re-read Jeff Gibbens post. I thought it to be brief and to the point. Don't know what part and or point he didn't communicate.

As far as your statement referencing ...."now you say thunderbirds is an alumni corps"........the THUNDERBIRDS regrouped as an ALUMNI CORPS' in late 1991 early 1992.

Don't know who you are...nor do I care. But please get all your ducks in a row before you throw out comments into cyberspace.

Please re-read Jeff Gibbens post. I thought it to be brief and to the point. Don't know what part and or point he didn't communicate.

As far as your statement referencing ...."now you say thunderbirds is an alumni corps"........the THUNDERBIRDS regrouped as an ALUMNI CORPS' in late 1991 early 1992.

Don't know who you are...nor do I care. But please get all your ducks in a row before you throw out comments into cyberspace.

Wow, lol, this gets crazier every day. Sensitive people "in here." I was looking for clarification, and I got it. My ducks weren't in a row...that was the whole point, to learn. I learned, and explained why I thought the way I did, nothing more.

Keep bringin' the hate, though, it's entertaining.

We did want to come out smoking and we should have. We had all the pieces in place to do just that. The T-birds are an alumni / mini corps, we don't really march a show per say, either for physical or family/time/work related reasons. Some of us did both or tried to at least to help out. As I said in previous posts, I too wish we had formed closer ties. Seems like we should have been able to come out with something. I just play in the line......

We were doing pretty good for a 1st year Corps. We had a few smokin' rehearsals. I actually thought that we DID have a Drumline. They were there all winter. We had Hornline/Drumline run-throughs at the end of rehearsal. They rehearsed when the hornline rehearsed. They ate when the hornline ate. I actually thought that we had a real Drumcorps. WTF happened? Alot of us were led to believe that the Percussion Ensemble there during the winter, would be the Drumline for the THUNDER. I'm not the only one who believes that. I have made a few phone calls, and I am NOT alone. This is NOT just my humble opinion. This is what I, and many others, were led to believe. This was a tough decision. Alot of us are shocked though. Now what?? I want to march. I feel empty. I don't care about any solo's. I'd play 3rd Sop. I just wanna march. I am venting......why?.......because it's been a while since I have "let-loose" on DCP. I realize that my choices are limited. I also realize that I need to STFU!

So, I am Nick. I'm a little upset. Got THUNDERBIRD rehearsal tomorrow.......I'm gonna suck......Got Memorial Day Parade coming up. Oh boy!

Maybe I'll real drunk, or something.