Mini Corps

Growth is going to dictate change. Whether we CUT members and CUT corps. Or opt to start B corps instead. Freelancers did have a B corps in those early 90's. Or opt to run some shows simultaneously to handle that growth is up to US. Minicorps and Alumni corps at concurrent venues? Class A and Open? We're still holding onto a schedule that lets everyone see everything (except for the concurrent I&E events) in a single weekend. And we're actively denying corps the same opportunities as everyone else in the process. I suppose we could hang on to that for a few more years at the championships. But it makes absolutely no sense at the local level. At least not for this region. As far as I know, no local show hosts 20+ corps. 3 corps, aspiring to be competitive, aspiring to be associated with DCA. But falling short. How many times does a girlfriend have to slam a door in your face before you find a new one? That's all I'm saying. Three years, that's a mighty long courtship. There's been talk of a Drum Corps Texas circuit (independent of DCA). Have we been given any OTHER viable option? Recruitment is a hard sell when the bulk of your season is 100F+ in the shade.

There's three DCA corps in Texas. Now, how many DCI corps? How about running a joint DCI/DCA show? Make it early/mid-season and odds are, you can work something out. You don't have to have an exclusive DCA performance.

As for the heat, every corps that comes through Texas has to deal with it. It's a matter of scheduling your rehearsal around the hottest part of the day. Bookend with block and ensemble while having indoor sectionals from 11-3.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's academic at this point. 700-ish miles to the nearest DCA show. Location central United States. Number of all age corps in State, no less than 6. Granted that two are Shriners corps. At least half WANT to be PRELIMS competitors with DCA. But it looks like that half is relegated to minicorps this year. With our reservations confirmed, fortunately.

Ask for help? Okay, change the rule. It's not serving OUR (collective/LOCAL) needs. I don't see why the 35 rule was enforced circuit wide. Anyone less than 35 gets nada at local DCA shows(if there were any this year), not even the minicorps get a score. How can you have a retreat where the corps pass in review of the winning corps? When there's no clear winner due to the lack of scores for those OTHER corps? Which may be only ONE member / number different from their peers. AFAIK, this is still a volunteer activity, no draft here. It's not like you go to the blood bank and they tell you they can't take you because you didn't bring 34 others with you(Of type O- only). They'll even come on location for less than 20(of any type).

Growth is going to dictate change. Whether we CUT members and CUT corps. Or opt to start B corps instead. Freelancers did have a B corps in those early 90's. Or opt to run some shows simultaneously to handle that growth is up to US. Minicorps and Alumni corps at concurrent venues? Class A and Open? We're still holding onto a schedule that lets everyone see everything (except for the concurrent I&E events) in a single weekend. And we're actively denying corps the same opportunities as everyone else in the process. I suppose we could hang on to that for a few more years at the championships. But it makes absolutely no sense at the local level. At least not for this region. As far as I know, no local show hosts 20+ corps. 3 corps, aspiring to be competitive, aspiring to be associated with DCA. But falling short. How many times does a girlfriend have to slam a door in your face before you find a new one? That's all I'm saying. Three years, that's a mighty long courtship. There's been talk of a Drum Corps Texas circuit (independent of DCA). Have we been given any OTHER viable option? Recruitment is a hard sell when the bulk of your season is 100F+ in the shade.

Just got me thinking...........WHY........doesn't the NFL (as an example....or MLB...or NBA...etc) have a competition for third or fourth string players? Would luv to see a Pro football game...5 on 5.

Probably a poor analogy........just sayin...... :thumbup:

Oh ya........then someone....somewhere would want a 1 on 1. Nevermind.........

Just got me thinking...........WHY........doesn't the NFL (as an example....or MLB...or NBA...etc) have a competition for third or fourth string players? Would luv to see a Pro football game...5 on 5.

Probably a poor analogy........just sayin...... :tongue:

Oh ya........then someone....somewhere would want a 1 on 1. Nevermind.........

They do! It's called INDOOR FOOTBALL LEAGUE. or minor leagues of a different sport....coming to a 4200 seat arena near you! :thumbup:

I suppose it's academic at this point. 700-ish miles to the nearest DCA show. Location central United States. Number of all age corps in State, no less than 6. Granted that two are Shriners corps. At least half WANT to be PRELIMS competitors with DCA. But it looks like that half is relegated to minicorps this year. With our reservations confirmed, fortunately.

Ask for help? Okay, change the rule. It's not serving OUR (collective/LOCAL) needs. I don't see why the 35 rule was enforced circuit wide. Anyone less than 35 gets nada at local DCA shows(if there were any this year), not even the minicorps get a score. How can you have a retreat where the corps pass in review of the winning corps? When there's no clear winner due to the lack of scores for those OTHER corps? Which may be only ONE member / number different from their peers. AFAIK, this is still a volunteer activity, no draft here. It's not like you go to the blood bank and they tell you they can't take you because you didn't bring 34 others with you(Of type O- only). They'll even come on location for less than 20(of any type).

ok Shadow....i can finally divulge all the secrets behind your DCA suffering. Allow me to present the transcript from a DCA admin conference call.

Gil " Ok hey everyone, what's new?"

Tom " Well, we ned to find a way to #### of Shadow. I mean he doesnt ##### about the rain in 06 like he used to, and he's been quieter about the 35 rules"

Dick P : "I got it...let's limit mini corps to 20 of em. Look, we know we could try for more, tho the schedule would be a nightmare. But really....the guy just needs some ammo, so why dont we be nice and provide it!"

Gil: " well you know the DCA Forums have been quiet lately."

Tom : It's always fun when Liz and Ream beat him over the head with common logic too"

Gil "Well Liz is smart and funny. Ream..well...he's Ream"

Dick P " I am telling you...this will lead to other issues. You know everything his corps may have issues with isnt his fault. He can tie them to mini corps limits screwing him as well"

Larry " If I may chime in here. Really, We do have to give him credit. No matter what we do to screw him over, he keeps trying to come back. We may eventually run out of ways to keep him away"

Tom " good point Larry. I say, off the phone of course, we plan ways to keep him away in the future"

Gil: " ok it is agreed upon. By setting mini corps limits to 20, we've practically guaranteed Shadow is done this year, and then all of his other issues will come to the surface, and we can look for clues for ways to screw him in the future."

ok, now seriously dude. want the 35 rule overturned, get a member corps to sponsor a proposal. in case it fails, bust your ### to get enough COMMITTED members, and in between, learn to accept there are rules, and that your words kill you every time you type.

There's three DCA corps in Texas. Now, how many DCI corps? How about running a joint DCI/DCA show? Make it early/mid-season and odds are, you can work something out. You don't have to have an exclusive DCA performance.

As for the heat, every corps that comes through Texas has to deal with it. It's a matter of scheduling your rehearsal around the hottest part of the day. Bookend with block and ensemble while having indoor sectionals from 11-3.

illegal use of logic. 10 yards, repeat first down

ok Shadow....i can finally divulge all the secrets behind your DCA suffering. Allow me to present the transcript from a DCA admin conference call.

Gil " Ok hey everyone, what's new?"

Tom " Well, we ned to find a way to #### of Shadow. I mean he doesnt ##### about the rain in 06 like he used to, and he's been quieter about the 35 rules"

Dick P : "I got it...let's limit mini corps to 20 of em. Look, we know we could try for more, tho the schedule would be a nightmare. But really....the guy just needs some ammo, so why dont we be nice and provide it!"

Gil: " well you know the DCA Forums have been quiet lately."

Tom : It's always fun when Liz and Ream beat him over the head with common logic too"

Gil "Well Liz is smart and funny. Ream..well...he's Ream"

Dick P " I am telling you...this will lead to other issues. You know everything his corps may have issues with isnt his fault. He can tie them to mini corps limits screwing him as well"

Larry " If I may chime in here. Really, We do have to give him credit. No matter what we do to screw him over, he keeps trying to come back. We may eventually run out of ways to keep him away"

Tom " good point Larry. I say, off the phone of course, we plan ways to keep him away in the future"

Gil: " ok it is agreed upon. By setting mini corps limits to 20, we've practically guaranteed Shadow is done this year, and then all of his other issues will come to the surface, and we can look for clues for ways to screw him in the future."

ok, now seriously dude. want the 35 rule overturned, get a member corps to sponsor a proposal. in case it fails, bust your ### to get enough COMMITTED members, and in between, learn to accept there are rules, and that your words kill you every time you type.

Ok.....one more time........

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

That was funny Jeff.......I didn't know you were a comedy writer too!!!! NOW I am impressed!!!!! LOL

thanks. i edited it. the original was a little too mean, even for me

heh ~ you at least left the part in about me being smart. :tongue:

Has Mini corps evolved beyond its original purpose and is now its own entity.Should it be an all day friday, open to all, with paid attendence.The stewards of the activity have guided it well and the participants have grown it into its maturity.Is it now something bigger than it was intended?

To be correct their is 6 shriner corps in texas all under the 35 member minimum . We just finished our state competition and will have our national competition July 6 in san antonio.