Blue Stars and...

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. It was I who allowed the Blue Stars to know the location of the clarinet. It is quite safe from your pitiful little brass band. An entire legion of my best woodwinds awaits them.

. . .Oh, I'm afraid the woodwind players will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

yes my master

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sure, that's how it starts.

It's just for I&E...

It's just for encore...

It's just in the pit...

It's just 10 marching members...

It's just half the corps...

Can't you see where this will lead? A WHOLE CORPS MADE UP OF CLARINETS!!!!

:thumbup:

slippery slope much?

It's already become a "drum and bugle and trumpet and mellophone and baritone and tuba and microphone and synthesizer and narration and props and special effects" activity, so what difference will one itty-bitty clarinet make?

Aaah...rationalization....the last step before said "slippery slope".

You wanted to see an uproar. You should have been there for the first final retreat that the Scouts sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" instead of playing it.

"BLASPHEMY!!!!!! Voice does NOT belong in drum corps, even if it is just final retreat."

That excitement eventually calmed too. Final retreat/encores/non-competitive performances have always been about letting the members have some fun. Only since the advent of DCP have these become "the end of the world". I've seen almost 89 years of changes. Believe me, we will all survive :thumbup: .

You wanted to see an uproar. You should have been there for the first final retreat that the Scouts sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" instead of playing it.

"BLASPHEMY!!!!!! Voice does NOT belong in drum corps, even if it is just final retreat."

That excitement eventually calmed too. Final retreat/encores/non-competitive performances have always been about letting the members have some fun. Only since the advent of DCP have these become "the end of the world". I've seen almost 89 years of changes. Believe me, we will all survive :tongue: .

If I can get a guarantee to " survive almost 89 years ", I'd bargain right now with Phantom's Faust and I'd support the use of electric guitars, oboes, and elephants in Drum Corps. ( good to have you on here, Harvey!) I'm guessing you seen quite a bit of changes in Drum Corps over the years.

According to corp history (KFC Commercial) shouldn't he be playing a piccolo? :tongue:

According to corp history (KFC Commercial) shouldn't he be playing a piccolo? :tongue:

Playing a piccolo in Podunk beats listening to an Irish Harp played by St. Peter at the entrance to the Pearly Gates, No ?

Edited by BRASSO

Ok. Yeah, a clarinet in an encore is an issue for some, however, it won't keep you out of the top twelve. The following on the other hand...

Left hand posture in the trumpets! Kid to the left of the first tuba on the left! Check that wrist! Forearm angles all over the place! Hip posture in the baritone, red shorts! Come on! And the pit doesn't look engaged. Even if tacit, their body language isn't shouting focus. And as for the clarinet - isn't lifted at all.

:tongue:

4785_1162609072545_1447392353_30435045_2967514_n.jpg

That would be an entirely valid argument were it not for the DRASTIC changes seen in the activity in just the last 10 years alone. As I stated before, we've seen more drastic and controversial changes in the last 10 years than in the previous 50 combined. From the addition of any-key instrumentation in '99 (iirc), to amplified pit, amplified vocals, to electronic instruments...these changes aren't akin to placing pit instruments on the front sideline or going from 2-valve to 3-valve bugles.

That excitement eventually calmed too. Final retreat/encores/non-competitive performances have always been about letting the members have some fun. Only since the advent of DCP have these become "the end of the world". I've seen almost 89 years of changes. Believe me, we will all survive :tongue: .

Edited by BigBadMadMan