Anna's-nap-less Night- DCI Annapolis 6/20

Cadets are very dirty right now. Once they get that hornbook cleaned, it'll gel together better. Right now, it's very disjointed no doubt. Crown is outperforming them right now with a show that has less demand. It's interesting to see what judges reward.

At any rate, until we get actual judging on brass and guard, scores don't mean much. Wait till the first regional to worry about them.

Wow. Didnt seem that way live. Crown is very dirty but IMHO is already attempting a much wider range of vocabulary in their book musically and visually. The Cadets seemed to me cleaner in the ensemble brass and visual. But they have big problems with show design. There's some really nice (impressive even) drill moments and some really nice brass moments but coordination for effect is severely lacking. I'm afraid they may have put all their impressive horsepower into a yugo.

----

mike

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Didnt seem that way live. Crown is very dirty but IMHO is already attempting a much wider range of vocabulary in their book musically and visually. The Cadets seemed to me cleaner in the ensemble brass and visual. But they have big problems with show design. There's some really nice (impressive even) drill moments and some really nice brass moments but coordination for effect is severely lacking. I'm afraid they may have put all their impressive horsepower into a yugo.

----

mike

A yugo? I think that's a little harsh. I'm confident they'll work on the design of the show, but I fail to see "big" problems with the show design. I can definitely see a lot of potential to build on what they have.

----

mike

Oh, I see.

A yugo? I think that's a little harsh. I'm confident they'll work on the design of the show, but I fail to see "big" problems with the show design. I can definitely see a lot of potential to build on what they have.

Lol yeah probably it is. I guess the point I was trying to make is that it's really difficult to fix design decisions that are made early in the process. I actually came into this show really wanting to see a great Cadets show. I was even excited about a new take on WSS (which is a challenge but who better to turn something on its head and make us look at it differently). Maybe in the attempt to pull back from the "cutting edge" they went just a little too far back?? Dunno but there were what seemed like several long periods of time where I was waiting for something to happen and it just didn't. I was disappointed that the show took me nowhere.

----

mike

Did I see Crown running around (randomly) and then suddenly into position toward the end of the show....hmmm where have I seen that before? I seem to remember a great deal of scratching of the heads last year when a certain corps did it. Just Constantly Seeking Veracity.

crown would NEVER copy drill moves from another corps, nor would they play the greatest hits of other corps b/c they can't think of original ideas on their own!

Edited by chaos001

Lol yeah probably it is. I guess the point I was trying to make is that it's really difficult to fix design decisions that are made early in the process. I actually came into this show really wanting to see a great Cadets show. I was even excited about a new take on WSS (which is a challenge but who better to turn something on its head and make us look at it differently). Maybe in the attempt to pull back from the "cutting edge" they went just a little too far back?? Dunno but there were what seemed like several long periods of time where I was waiting for something to happen and it just didn't. I was disappointed that the show took me nowhere.

----

mike

I understand your point, but we have many weeks to go. They'll get there. If not, I'll buy you a drink at finals.

OK, so I have a MM in the battery so I watch mostly the drums.

Quick impression of Annapolis.

Colts - Drumline was pretty good. Lots of neat visuals. They have a funky lot warm up, too. The show didn't leave me with much of an impression; wasn't bad, wasn't great.

Glassmen - Despite being a drum guy, all I noticed was the color guard, which is almost lewd. The female guard moved like (I've heard :tongue: ) ladies move in a "gentlemen's club". When they weren't dancing they were trying to "dry hump" the male guard. Seriously, the lady next to me took her young daughter done to get some ice cream as soon as that started. So, basically, I liked the show......I wonder how THAT gets scored on a judge's sheet.

Boston - I have a total blank-out from Boston. Nothing is sticking. I THINK they were good.

Cadets - Drumline was very dirty. Snare spacing was all over the place. Only eight snares; I wonder what happened to number nine? Lot's of "park n blow". I was let down from some of the earlier reviews. I expected something like last year when they just played and marched for about a minute, and it was fabulous.

Crown - if the intention of the uniform is for them to look like they fell in tall grass and forgot to brush themselves off, then they achieved that. I didn't like the new green. Drumline is pretty tight. Bass section looked like they got "lost" in the drill a couple of times.

I thought for sure Crown won this show, and was really surprised (as was most around me) when Cadets took it.

Judges are so scared this time of year to judge what they see.

Here's the logic (in my mind): Cadets have been marketed off-season as this year's champs (75th, etc...). So if judges put Crown over Cadets, they are kinda saying that Crown could win this year, and no judge will risk THAT this early.

Well, what DO you expect? Sheesh...You should be glad you get ANYTHING at all. People are so ungrateful these days, it makes me sick.

It's more the tone of the message that bothered me. All they needed to say that, due to demand, wait times for support requests would be longer than usual.

Any program where you have to read notes or look at certain forms is too hard to understand for the common fan.

Like PR's Spartacus from '81?