Anna's-nap-less Night- DCI Annapolis 6/20

I just can't deal with the synth. It's really, really bad arranging. I heard some 80s scifi music in there...

Definitely my least-favorite synth stuff I've heard so far this season. That part toward the beginning with the repetitive chords drove me slightly nuts. I thought maybe it was just the webcast putting it so out of balance though? I don't know. It is, of course, possible that it'll just take additional "figuring out."

Edited by Supersonic

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...did you have to bring THAT show up. I'm just now getting the image of

them digging their "hooves into the ground" outta my head.

Cali.

Are you kidding? That show was great!

Remind me again what's wrong with playing an entire tune of this great music instead of chopping EVERY song into a 4 tune medley? Oh that's right .. it's MTV's fault.

In all seriousness, This style of arranging just feeds into the notion that all Americans have ADHD. They tend to forget that this activity inspired countless alumnus of DCI to go teaching and playing through their adult lives. It really does signify a total sellout that has been going on for about 7 years now. If the piece has merit and is well written (as is all of Bernstein's works) then there is little cutting that need be made to have an effective musical production that meets the judges "30 second feel change" criteria. The hack and slash in that show and most shows I've heard since 2002 just make me want to vomit.

To the kids of Holy Name: Well done. I'm sure you'll have a successful season. I just hope that you realize what's WRONG with this type of show design (same can be said for 2004 to 2008). Please when you move on to your professional careers, DO NOT do this to your students.

I really agree with you!

... there have been some on here who have complained that Crown's "pre-show" was boring. It was boring to them because it wasn't hacked to pieces and had "no effect". Gosh, we are at a cross roads here.

All in all I think that the Cadets and Crown are neck and neck. Both have big room for improvement and plenty of beef to throw into the show. I'll have to see the other corps to really place them.

Keep in mind we still need to see...

BD

SCV

Bluecoats

Cavies

Phantom

Madison

Bluestars

Academy

Spirit

and the list goes on...

Expect another dog fight up to San Antone, then the pretenders will fade.

I wish these corps were more adventurous...people seem to be so wary of the hate for being innovative...nothing was really new and exciting about the shows tonight.

Good drum corps, some classic, good DCI stuff, but nothing at all new. I've noticed this the last 2-3 seasons.

If "innovative" is playing a few notes on a keyboard then this is a yawner.

And PLEASE just give me some MELODIES. PLEASE. Why can't anyone play a show like the encore we saw from the Cadets tonight?

Yeah....Crown was pretty good, but I don't feel any emotional attachment to this show. They play well and march a really hard drill, no doubt. Still, it's leaving me unmoved. I miss the horsies.

I wish these corps were more adventurous...people seem to be so wary of the hate for being innovative...nothing was really new and exciting about the shows tonight.

Good drum corps, some classic, good DCI stuff, but nothing at all new. I've noticed this the last 2-3 seasons.

If "innovative" is playing a few notes on a keyboard then this is a yawner.

And PLEASE just give me some MELODIES. PLEASE. Why can't anyone play a show like the encore we saw from the Cadets tonight?

You want melodies, you're going to love 09 Blue Stars.

I attended the show tonight (LIVE) and here are a few thoughts on a couple of corps...

Crown - I don't really like their show too much, but they have a lot of great moments. They are performing at a very high level and they seem like they could be a corps people need to watch out for. Hornline has some stuff to work on, but overall, they sound very good for this point in the season. We'll see where it goes.

Cadets - Of course, they are dirty. There are a lot of things they need to work on. I think this will be a great show once they master it. There are a lot of great moments that will draw a lot of applause throughout the show. Drill will be excellent once it is cleaned. I am looking VERY forward to what happens during the rest of the season. This show will be great when it all locks in.

That's all for now.

All in all I think that the Cadets and Crown are neck and neck. Both have big room for improvement and plenty of beef to throw into the show. I'll have to see the other corps to really place them.

Keep in mind we still need to see...

BD

SCV

Bluecoats

Cavies

Phantom

Madison

Bluestars

Academy

Spirit

and the list goes on...

Expect another dog fight up to San Antone, then the pretenders will fade.

Well, I've seen Crown and HNC on webcast, Phantom on amateur Vid, and BD & SCV in person.

So, far I rank em:

1. BD

2. Crown

3. HNC

4. SCV

5. PR

looking forward to seeing the Cavies soon.

Crown and HNC are really close and...Phantom and SCV are fairly close.

but I reserve the right to change my mind in a month!

Cali.