Thank You 2009 SCV

If this is true...no major rewrites. Wow. That's all I have to say is wow.

Please people...go back and watch that first 8:30. It's just not happening visually. Go and compare to the first 8:30 from Eureka. That was some of the finest drill I've seen from these guys. This doesn't compare....not in the same ballpark.

I think a lot of people who were really into the drill they've been doing the last few years are going to agree with you. It's not as flashy. But I do think the quality of the music will be better than it has been for the past few years...and I really do think it was a conscious choice as a result of "The Phantom Effect", or at least, the possibility of one.

Last year's drill was pretty much uncleanable, and everything suffered because of it. I'll take a good musical program and an okay visual one any day...but I fully acknowledge that's just personal preference.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people who were really into the drill they've been doing the last few years are going to agree with you. It's not as flashy. But I do think the quality of the music will be better than it has been for the past few years...and I really do think it was a conscious choice as a result of "The Phantom Effect", or at least, the possibility of one.

Last year's drill was pretty much uncleanable, and everything suffered because of it. I'll take a good musical program and an okay visual one any day...but I fully acknowledge that's just personal preference.

My opinion exactly!

Understatement is the literary word for this show. They are going for a great impact by deliberately not going for the “ADHD” type of show. People’s emotional buy-in with the familiar music helps bring the audience into the show, which builds to that company front that we just know will get to us. The drill and the music compliment each other.

Hyperbole is the literary word that refers to great exaggeration. Think of last year’s Blue Devils’ “Absurdity” show. The movements and running around the field were greatly exaggerated for impact.

I’ve only watched SCV’s show on the FN, but I love it. It is an emotional musical performance that will bring me to tears when I watch it live. For me, it brings the musical performance back to the forefront of a drum corps show than the over-the-top theatrics of the recent past.

OK... Is that a slight nod to '83 SCV drill-wise starting around the 4:06 mark or is just me reminiscing?

I'll take a good musical program and an okay visual one any day...but I fully acknowledge that's just personal preference.

Totally disagree. I think the activity should be 50/50 between music and visuals... I mean if you put and emphasis on music what does that mean for the guard? It's a music in motion activity... there should be equal weight for both.

Yeah, we all have different tastes. I didn't talk about how shows "should" be designed which is purely a matter of opinion. What I did say very carefully was that it was my personal preference. Nothing to argue about, really.

I have a feeling that I'll probably enjoy the show once I get to know it better, but as written it's not going to be a championship contender.

That's not a bad thing, but SCV needs to officially state that they are doing this deliberately. If they're going to take such a drastic step away from "competitive" drum corps, then SAY IT so we can all drop the subject and enjoy/discard the show based on our personal tastes. Don't try and throw out arguments after the fact about the design, be out and proud that the show is designed this way.

OK... Is that a slight nod to '83 SCV drill-wise starting around the 4:06 mark or is just me reminiscing?

Ha! The first time I saw that part of the video I laughed out loud and thought "Whoa, that can't be a coincidence".

Compare 2009 at 4:15 to 1983 at 10:00. If the 2009 corps adds the "surfer" visual we'll know it's an homage.

Incidentally, I was fifth from the end of the "arm" of the spiral in 1983, and those of us in that part of the drill were constantly moaning about how much we were hauling ###. Now it looks thoroughly unremarkable.

I have a feeling that I'll probably enjoy the show once I get to know it better, but as written it's not going to be a championship contender.

That's not a bad thing, but SCV needs to officially state that they are doing this deliberately. If they're going to take such a drastic step away from "competitive" drum corps, then SAY IT so we can all drop the subject and enjoy/discard the show based on our personal tastes. Don't try and throw out arguments after the fact about the design, be out and proud that the show is designed this way.

SCV has not taken a step away from "competitive" drum corps at all. This year they are doing an outstanding job at matching visual to audio throughout the entire performance. They will contnue to add and tweek things throughout the summer. It is my guess that by the end of the season this will show will be a masterpiece.

The artist who uses the most paint is not necessarily the best painter.

SCV has not taken a step away from "competitive" drum corps at all. This year they are doing an outstanding job at matching visual to audio throughout the entire performance. They will contnue to add and tweek things throughout the summer. It is my guess that by the end of the season this will show will be a masterpiece.

The artist who uses the most paint is not necessarily the best painter.

That's a very good point. And I agree to a point. I believe the statement may be a throw more toward what Cadets are also doing this year and maybe seeing what Regiment took last season.

That being said...there's a reason those guard hits at 8:30 get so much atttention. There's really nothing before that moving very much. And after my fourth watch on the FN, I really do see how clean it is already. That's the scary part. And also compared to years past, I can't see any of these kids breaking much of a sweat marching this show.

I see it Wednesday night in person and I will really continue to put more thought into this. Okay SCV...you win. I'm contemplating this show...like I would any good piece of art. And in that, you might have something.

It's just like...I complained about this vehemently over the winter...the classic drum corps stock move...Simple Gifts backfield to a full corps front and then the forming of the company front and into the arc for the end. It's just so.....stock. I guess that would be the point in the show where too much "paint" was applied.