DCP has become a vast wasteland ... Well, it's actually been one for years, but this post should remove any remaining doubts.

None of us is as strong as all of us. Thanks for contributing!

This thread isn't going the direction I was hoping for. To those people who played along, thanks!

Mods can close this now.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

This is all fun and games, but please please don't let this spread to DCA or God Forbid, Alumni Corps!!!!

My mind reels at the thought.

None of us is as strong as all of us. Thanks for contributing!

This thread isn't going the direction I was hoping for. To those people who played along, thanks!

Mods can close this now.

Back to your original topic (and before it gets closed), I am curious about what would be considered an "unacceptable line" or "last straw line" to those who haven't hit it yet.

If it's not electronics, is it woodwinds?

If it's not woodwinds, what is it?

Surely, everyone must a line somewhere, so what is it that would make even the most "progressive" among us go "wait a minute .... in drum corps??!?!?!?"

Back to your original topic (and before it gets closed), I am curious about what would be considered an "unacceptable line" or "last straw line" to those who haven't hit it yet.

If it's not electronics, is it woodwinds?

If it's not woodwinds, what is it?

Surely, everyone must a line somewhere, so what is it that would make even the most "progressive" among us go "wait a minute .... in drum corps??!?!?!?"

That's exactly what I was hoping to get out of people, but no one really bit at the idea. (edit: No one specific who I was hoping to get an opinion from bit at the idea)

Owell.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

That's exactly what I was hoping to get out of people, but no one really bit at the idea. (edit: No one specific who I was hoping to get an opinion from bit at the idea)

Owell.

Here's the problem: The response to this is often along the lines of "well, the powers that be would never vote in something that absurd, so this isn't worth my response". It's this over-arching faith that the directors always have the best interest of their activity at heart and the unfailing ability to translate that into action, and so whatever they decide is therefore necessarily an improvement. "Absurd" suggestions like nudity or beastiality or whatnot are therefore not realistic and not worth commenting on.

Here's the thing, though. 25 years ago, suggesting that one day DCI would be amped and micced was an absurd suggestion, not even worthy of debate. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just saying that somewhere along the line, because of changes in technology, changes in society, etc, what was once considered absurd becomes acceptable (or at least debatable).

So let's stop short of nudity -- what else might be considered unlikely to the point of absurdity (or even adsurbity :tongue:) that would be a line you as a fan wouldn't cross:

Light shows?

No marching instruments at all -- just drill marchers with front ensemble providing all the music?

Giant televsion screens to add accompanying videos like at a rock concert?

Motorized and/or pre-programmed transport devices to create forms instead of "marching" (e.g., segways or roomba-type devices)?

What else might be a "last straw"? What would make it not enough like "drum corps" in your eyes to make you stop paying for it?

Be careful what you say here, because who knows what might transpire over the next couple of decades or so!!! As a 20 year old many years ago, you might have thought something absurd that is now commonplace. We used to joke as kids about having to pay for drinking water someday, yet now that is routine ....

Edited by Liam

big difference

electronics "line" is a drum corps fiction. we created it for the sake of argument, whether we want to admit it or not.

nudity "line" is a legal thing. being naked outside is -- under most circumstances -- against the law.

• Like 1

easy and for the cadets a chance to take a recent idea and expand on it:

"On the field, presenting their ( insert year) production 'Behind The Green Door".....

:tongue:

Or, "Debbie Does Dallas, and Houston, and San Antonio, and..."

P.S. No Fat Chicks : )

Or Fat Dudes!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

big difference

electronics "line" is a drum corps fiction. we created it for the sake of argument, whether we want to admit it or not.

nudity "line" is a legal thing. being naked outside is -- under most circumstances -- against the law.

Yes, but not ALL circumstances. It COULD be done if we really wanted to. Special permits/particular venues/closed rehersals/carding at the gate/member age limit raised/etc/etc.

Practical? Certainly not.

Possible? Certainly, though not without headaches.

Absurd suggestion? ummm .... yup!!

This is what would be called hyperbole -- using an absurd example to demonstrate or highlight a less absurd, less clear, point.

Edited by Liam