In your opinion...

Check out same year for what I think is the hardest book and one of the best hornlines ever, 91 BD. That book was insane and when was the last time a 5th place corps won horns? Both Star and BD were sick in their own right ( Star won Ensemble Brass, Bd won Field Brass and overall by a tenth), but the sheer harmonic and interval challenges in the Blue Devils book puts it over the top for me. Those were two awesome lines! :blink::omg:

Best show for me combining all elements, including the crowd element has to be 08 Regiment. Perhaps not designed more creatively than some other shows, but when you add in the sheer telling of the story, the primal outburst of the crowd and their participation and perhaps the Phantom Regiment's most emotional finals performance ever, it was pretty special for me!

You're right! BD Was amazing that year! That was the first show I ever saw in my life, I was 3 and my dad took me to a show (we still have pics and the ticket stubs in a photo album). So 91 will always have a place in my heart!

So I'll have to disagree with the PR 08 comment! The crowd didn't have a story line for BD, Cadets, PR or Star that year, and people cried they were so touched! So I still say Star wins in all categories!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star 93 is still "in my own opinion" the best show ever. Amazing feet and technique displayed throughout the show.. Drums were simply smoking. And I still haven't heard a hornline play with the control and musicality they did. But then again, this is just my opinion.

Star 93 is still "in my own opinion" the best show ever. Amazing feet and technique displayed throughout the show.. Drums were simply smoking. And I still haven't heard a hornline play with the control and musicality they did. But then again, this is just my opinion.

I think the Star organization from 90-93 was, the best organization in the activity. The show's they produced were just amazing to say the least.

I think the Star organization from 90-93 was, the best organization in the activity. The show's they produced were just amazing to say the least.

I agree. And funny thing is, many folks will say that Star's best and most talented hornline was actually 92, the American show. One of my best buds played in the sop line all 3 years and has said that 92 for him was also the most talented of his 3 years in the hornline. Everytime I listen to 91,92,93 back to back and listen really objectively, man that 92 line was something else!

Too bad it gets lost in the shuffle between two of the best shows all time! :blink:

I think my "best show" would have to be 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard. That show was just so wonderful to watch and listen to. The 2008 Phantom Regiment is my second/tied choice for "best show". It was just great all around and had so much emotion. It's really difficult to pick just one show to call "best". I love them all. (Okay, not all of them, but most of them) :blink:

There are so many for me, I'm not sure if I could really name just "one" favorite. But my top Five are:

1) Star of Indiana 1993. The music was powerfully performed...even if I didn't like the musical selections so much. What a horn line that year!!

2) Cavaliers 2002. Awesome visual program--in my opinion, the best ever written. Was not crazy about the music...but it was well performed.

3) Cadets of Bergen County 1992. Overall, an incredible show even though they placed second. The music was pleasing and accessible, and the drill was very well written.

4) Madison Scouts 1988. Loved everything about this show.

5) Kingsmen 1972. The first DCI Champion...and therefore, the standard in my opinion.

Another really good show is 1989 SCV. The sound that the brass makes at the real start of their music is just amazing! :laughing:

Another unforgettable show from 1989 in my opinion is Phantom Regiment's " New World Symphony ".

Considering Effect and Performance:

1. 2008 Phantom Regiment

2. 1994 Blue Devils

3. 1993 Star of Indiana

4. 1989 Phantom Regiment

5. 1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

For me, the emotional impact of the show FAR outweighs the technical performance. I can plug the arrangement into Sibelius and get a playback as clean as any corps performance ever, but it still wouldn't be 1% as good as the real thing.

Considering Pure Effect:

1. 2008 Phantom Regiment

2. 1993 Star of Indiana

3. 1995 Madison Scouts

4. 1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

5. 2000 Cadets

Considering Pure Performance:

1. 2005 Cadets

2. 1994 Blue Devils

3. 1986 Blue Devils

4. 2003 Blue Devils

5. 1998 Cadets