Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wish their visual package gave a little more! Their horn line is just as good, if not better then their 2004 line! I hope they stick with what ever changes they've made this season FOREVER!

Just wish their visual package gave a little more! Their horn line is just as good, if not better then their 2004 line! I hope they stick with what ever changes they've made this season FOREVER!

amen! :blink:

I think they would adding complexity to their drill as they go. This is especially true for the percussion feature before the big push. It is the only place in their program to do some fantastic and yet subtle drill move.

The arrival of Fiedler no doubt initiated the "soul searching" process of the Vanguard.

My prediction for the final placement would be 4th, and possibly the fifth.

this show will go down in history. I don't care if it places 879th, this is an incredible show.

that is all.

I agree 100%. After all of the negativity I heard about it, I was a little worried. I saw it for myself in Stanford. As an alum, I'm completely GEEKED about what they're doing. It's a symphony in motion...and yes, a lot of it slow motion. I don't care. Everything builds to a final climax(again, like a wellcrafted symphony). The control it takes to move slowly but make it look easy AND TOGETHER is very difficult. There's nothing in the sheets that says "Effective music must be loud/fast/high." Funny thing is, their loud/fast/highs ARE more effective b/c there are LESS OF THEM. A "less is more" show if I ever saw one. I'm in. I don't think the community is ready to reward such a show with a win quite yet, but it certainly is forward-looking. I can imagine the winter meetings: "We know we cant win with this, but it will be a show of class, style, pacing, restraint, and EXCELLENCE. The pacing IS the creativity. App Spring played more to the original will be a challenge, but it serves this show well."

There was much more difficultt shows out there (Bloo...wow), and those *should* beat this show, but the level of excellence will have to come very very close to SCV's (which will be incredibly high b/c of the easy drill.)

SCV is daring the perennial contenders to be as excellent as they (will be). This is Cavies roadmap for sure.

I'm all in; love it.

I was a vocal opponent of SCV doing App Spring, but I really love the arrangement a lot. I don't even care about the visual.

I'm hoping that SCV really keeps going in this direction, and just beefs up the visual program gradually. It would be awesome if they gave something like Pictures at an Exhibition this type of treatment next year.

I agree 100%. After all of the negativity I heard about it, I was a little worried. I saw it for myself in Stanford. As an alum, I'm completely GEEKED about what they're doing. It's a symphony in motion...and yes, a lot of it slow motion. I don't care. Everything builds to a final climax(again, like a wellcrafted symphony). The control it takes to move slowly but make it look easy AND TOGETHER is very difficult. There's nothing in the sheets that says "Effective music must be loud/fast/high." Funny thing is, their loud/fast/highs ARE more effective b/c there are LESS OF THEM. A "less is more" show if I ever saw one. I'm in. I don't think the community is ready to reward such a show with a win quite yet, but it certainly is forward-looking. I can imagine the winter meetings: "We know we cant win with this, but it will be a show of class, style, pacing, restraint, and EXCELLENCE. The pacing IS the creativity. App Spring played more to the original will be a challenge, but it serves this show well."

There was much more difficultt shows out there (Bloo...wow), and those *should* beat this show, but the level of excellence will have to come very very close to SCV's (which will be incredibly high b/c of the easy drill.)

SCV is daring the perennial contenders to be as excellent as they (will be). This is Cavies roadmap for sure.

I'm all in; love it.

What would Gail think?? I'm thinking he'd love it.

I actually love their drill! But I agree, some of the stand stills last a little too long. Add like 20 more sets and you've got a contender!