What were the best kept secrets in drum corps history?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with an earlier post that the mystery around the Hawthorne Muchachos prelims score of 1975 is definitely one of the biggest secrets in DCI.........

(1) When a show is completed, the judge only has a few moments max to wrap up their tape commentary, write any

comments down, and put a score on a sheet which is turned in within a few moments after the corps' last note.

They also keep a personal tote with the scores that they gave to all corps.....

(2) In the Muchachos incident, I would say that it was at least 5 minutes or more after their performance until they were

disqualified. I do know that an order was given to destroy their scoresheets and tapes.......

However, it is also quite likely that they were all turned in.....there is also a likelihood that their score was tabulated....

(3) To this day, the rumor is that their score was tabulated, and a few people in addition to the tabulator saw it.......

There are rumors on the actual score and that they won........these rumors remain unconfirmed to this day......

(4) If it was tabulated (or wasn't), I am sure that the tabulator was "sworn to secrecy".....it would be interesting to know

if the tabulator is living and if they would "tell" now, one way or another, 34 years later.......

(5) Even if the score was not tabulated, I am certain that most, if not all of the judging panel that day are still alive, and

most, if not all, know what score they gave them. They had to keep their tote sheets, as other corps were on there...

the most they could have been ordered would have been to erase/scribble out the Muchachos line......it would also

be interesting to know if they were ordered to destroy their tote sheets at the end, which would be quite unusual, and

also a bit unethical, as they are to be kept in case there would be any question over any number, and you had

a huge number of corps.......like the tabulator, I am sure these judges were also "sworn to secrecy" regarding

numbers they gave for the Muchachos.......woull they "tell" now...34 years later?

What I find very interesting is that if the score was actually known, and they didn't win, I doubt that DCI would go to great lengths to keep it under wraps this long, and someone would release it to dispel any rumor.......and if they did win, the secret was successfully kept through today....there also is a small possibility that it wasn't tabulated, and the only way to know for certain then would be for each judge to know and reveal exactly what they gave them.....

The fact that the secrecy has lasted this long indicates a likelihood that it will remain an unsolved mystery.......

GB

THIS YEAR'S BEST KEPT SECRET (UNTIL NOW!) :worthy:

Troopers are actually a highly trained "strike" force organized by Dick Cheney. :worthy::worthy: They are trained to seek out and destroy subversives and people who insult electronics. :worthy: A recently discovered "top secret" document revealed a sinister plot to carry automatic weapons disguised as wind instruments into Lucas Oil Stadium. During the Troopers finals performance (which Cheney has already arranged for them to qualify for) they will whip out their Uzi's and spray the unsuspecting DCI fans who are yelling unfavorable comments about electric pianos and lap tops. Rumor has it that the operation is being funded by Korg, Roland and Yamaha.

You've been warned!! :worthy:

As for me: I love synthesizers, I wish they could march with them, or even crash them together like cymbals. Please don't shoot me! :worthy:

GO TROOPERS! :worthy:

Edited by Plan9

I agree with an earlier post that the mystery around the Hawthorne Muchachos prelims score of 1975 is definitely one of the biggest secrets in DCI.........

(1) When a show is completed, the judge only has a few moments max to wrap up their tape commentary, write any

comments down, and put a score on a sheet which is turned in within a few moments after the corps' last note.

They also keep a personal tote with the scores that they gave to all corps.....

(2) In the Muchachos incident, I would say that it was at least 5 minutes or more after their performance until they were

disqualified. I do know that an order was given to destroy their scoresheets and tapes.......

However, it is also quite likely that they were all turned in.....there is also a likelihood that their score was tabulated....

(3) To this day, the rumor is that their score was tabulated, and a few people in addition to the tabulator saw it.......

There are rumors on the actual score and that they won........these rumors remain unconfirmed to this day......

(4) If it was tabulated (or wasn't), I am sure that the tabulator was "sworn to secrecy".....it would be interesting to know

if the tabulator is living and if they would "tell" now, one way or another, 34 years later.......

(5) Even if the score was not tabulated, I am certain that most, if not all of the judging panel that day are still alive, and

most, if not all, know what score they gave them. They had to keep their tote sheets, as other corps were on there...

the most they could have been ordered would have been to erase/scribble out the Muchachos line......it would also

be interesting to know if they were ordered to destroy their tote sheets at the end, which would be quite unusual, and

also a bit unethical, as they are to be kept in case there would be any question over any number, and you had

a huge number of corps.......like the tabulator, I am sure these judges were also "sworn to secrecy" regarding

numbers they gave for the Muchachos.......woull they "tell" now...34 years later?

What I find very interesting is that if the score was actually known, and they didn't win, I doubt that DCI would go to great lengths to keep it under wraps this long, and someone would release it to dispel any rumor.......and if they did win, the secret was successfully kept through today....there also is a small possibility that it wasn't tabulated, and the only way to know for certain then would be for each judge to know and reveal exactly what they gave them.....

The fact that the secrecy has lasted this long indicates a likelihood that it will remain an unsolved mystery.......

GB

"Greatest Secret":

Well my pretties: It seems I am not alone in the "Greatest DCI Secret" caper!!!!! :worthy:

Great job of laying out so many possibilities!!! :worthy:

Elphaba

Exactly where and when was Michael Cesario ever dipped in a bathtub full of chocolate?

:worthy:

and what does swash his buckle really mean?

I agree with an earlier post that the mystery around the Hawthorne Muchachos prelims score of 1975 is definitely one of the biggest secrets in DCI......... etc... etc....

One thing most people don't know is Muchachos went head to head against Madison and a few other top DCI corps the day after DCI in Hershey, PA at a "clap show". "Clap show" as in the audience was supposed to "judge" who won by their response to the shows <long kinda BSie story on how it was measured>.

Anyway Madison still won and think Muchachos came in second.... Would have been very interesting the other way around.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari