So I was thinking the other day...When you meet someone who has marched, what do you respect about their career the most? Where they marched? How many years they marched? What instrument they played? I think everyone gets respect who has marched, but I was wondering if you see someone in say a Cavies jacket who has a '00, '01, and '02 patch on their sleeve versus someone who has marched somewhere like Spirit for 6 years....(and there is no disrespect to Spirit here. Only using them as an example...). What do you guys think?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually know a guy who marched spirit and then Cavies and won a ring... (just interesting that this fits your example perfectly) :)

I respect anyone and everyone who marched, no matter where and how long. The point is, they marched.

I respect anyone and everyone who marched, no matter where and how long. The point is, they marched.

Exactly....especially if that corps went through some sort of adversity and came through in the end to comtinue to perform. Memphis Sound 07 at Div II/III prelims, for example. HUGE props there.

I have as much respect for my friend who marched Pioneer last summer as my friend who won a ring with Phantom. I think anyone who marches the activity deserves respect, as long as they don't dishonor the corps they marched with in a sense of bad taste. I root for Pio at every show, because (and I hope no one takes offense by this) it takes a true die-hard member of the activity to march with a group that historically doesn't do well. I really hope they pull out of it, but even if they don't, they deserve as much respect as any other group out there.

This is a pretty interesting question, and I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say. Myself, having never marched (oh noes!!1!) I respect anyone who took the plunge and committed to drum corps. Just wearing a corps jacket that you earned is enough, regardless of corps or section. Hell, I have respect for anyone who goes to an audition, because they're still putting themselves out there on the line.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that marching a top 5 corps get a lot more respect than anywhere else. If I say I marched Capital Regiment for 2 years, no one cares, but as soon as I say Cadets, no matter the year, it's instant respect. At least that has been my experience with other instructors working with marching bands.

I gotta respect anyone who marches corps, and I have friends who march everywhere, from Pio to Crown, and I respect them all the same for just doing the activity. Most of all, I respect them living the lifestyle of drum corps, waking up in gyms and showering in locker rooms. And I think you get that everywhere.

So I was thinking the other day...When you meet someone who has marched, what do you respect about their career the most? Where they marched? How many years they marched? What instrument they played? I think everyone gets respect who has marched, but I was wondering if you see someone in say a Cavies jacket who has a '00, '01, and '02 patch on their sleeve versus someone who has marched somewhere like Spirit for 6 years....(and there is no disrespect to Spirit here. Only using them as an example...). What do you guys think?

After a great number of years involved in the activity what impresses me the most has absolutely nothing to do with what jacket they wear, whether they have a ring on their finger, whether they marched for one year or for eight. What impresses me the most is how they flesh out the ideals of the activity in the respect they show to others, to the activity itself, and to their fellow neighbors.

Having said that, I have a special kind of respect for ANYONE who marched with the Madison Scouts!

I never got the chance to march ..... but after working PRs registration and helping with sewing and making 'chickens', I've had the chance to watch the hopefuls, become members, become seasoned members.

WOW!

What a journey!!!

My hat is off TO ANYONE WHO HAS MARCHED A FULL SEASON IN ANY CORP

:sad::biggrin::doh: