Hop weigh's in on the Cadets/Crown rivalry...

Aw jees! I'm laughing and crying here.... another drum corps casualty! (funny... I was going to use that phrase in one of the Historical lines several hours ago but didn't.... clearly it's going to come out somewhere... ahh, that's better.....)

But seriously, I appreciate Hop's viewpoint and am enjoying the friendly banter here... as opposed to the vicious partisanship on some of the other threads.

Edited by esch

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure is nice to see this much concern being shown for a couple of corps that when all is said and done...neither will be in the top 3. :worthy:

Storing that in my logs for future abuse :)

Quoted for FAIL potential

Wow. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he should not have said that. Comes across as rather arrogant.

Otherwise, good response.

Well if Hop thinks the Cadets are doing more (which I believe they are too) that's fine....but as I've said 1,927 times to DCI directors & BOA directors alike, it's NOT how much you do, it's HOW MUCH YOU DO CLEAN.

Scores start at 100, folks....and THE CORPS/BAND takes the score down, not the judge. They're just lowering according to errors & lacking in whatever caption.

May the MOST CLEAN win :worthy:

I'm splitting hairs here, but I've had this conversation with friends the last 48 hours and it's sooo hard for people to catch my drift. Please don't say most clean ... otherwise it will probably be BD with another title (not that I mind that so much).

Please say, Most Well Executed. That means design as well. My hard sell point is where I prefer a minor bit of dirt with a flawless design over SPOTLESS with some NON top 3 writing. I would actually prefer flawless design and performance execution. Then I could live in a bubble at Hrothgar's house and sing Oh Holy Name while Crown get's their name engraved on the Trophy.

My new Sig ......... DESIGN LOSES CHAMPIONSHIPS unless you're BD (god love those clean lil bastages!!!)

Well if Hop thinks the Cadets are doing more (which I believe they are too) that's fine....but as I've said 1,927 times to DCI directors & BOA directors alike, it's NOT how much you do, it's HOW MUCH YOU DO CLEAN.

Scores start at 100, folks....and THE CORPS/BAND takes the score down, not the judge. They're just lowering according to errors & lacking in whatever caption.

With all due respect, I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the times...the "tick" system was tossed aside years ago. DCI now uses a system that's based on accomplishment and execution. Besides, if we still used the tick system, there would be no need for creativity. So nowadays, its not so much being clean, its more about what you CAN do while being clean. The scoring system we use now works because it encourages progress, thus newer forms of entertainment and innovation.

Or do laundry, preferably at a place with beer...I mean ice cream....ICE CREAM!!!!

Laundry day in Pottsville, PA. Best Laundry Day EVER

With all due respect, I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the times...the "tick" system was tossed aside years ago. DCI now uses a system that's based on accomplishment and execution. Besides, if we still used the tick system, there would be no need for creativity. So nowadays, its not so much being clean, its more about what you CAN do while being clean. The scoring system we use now works because it encourages progress, thus newer forms of entertainment and innovation.

I know the "tick" system is gone, but what we do today is just a fancy word for the same, but you start with a clean slate a 100 across the boards & as your show is performed that score is altered accordingly.

Judges are giving a criteria to score based on execution and over-all effect in the most general sense, now call it "tick" or not the judges see/hear great things and reward, if they see/hear poor things they tick away. So, fill your show full of too complex drill, and music that's unplayable and you'll recieve scores that reflect poor execution & with that the damage it causes to your general effect.

So, again CLEAN FOR THE WIN.

...tick, tick, tick...BOOM.