Electronics.

So, without causing a DCP civil war were the "new age" and "old school" worlds collide in tacky, negative debate, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the electronic path we've taken (and I say "we" cause we're all still corps' family regardless).

I've seen it used in almost every corps so far, some doing a great job with it & other almost embarrasing themselves because of it's poor use.

Now where do we go? Like Bands of America will it take several years before it begins to become effective and a strength for these programs, or should the rule be re-thought and possibly gotten rid of all together, again?

I, personally, have been a complete supporter of electronics and the ability they have to help strengthen the over-all effect & sound of a group. However, as of right now at 04:05:06, 7-8-09 (pretty cool huh?...wont happen again till 3009!) anyways, as of now I'll admit some re-thinking should be done or the rule should be put to bed.

Drum corps just wasn't designed to have a psedo-indy rock band on the front sideline?! (Sorry Teal Sound) but really....just seems a bit much, however curvilinear drill was a "bit much" not too long ago also?!

*Again, let's not bash each other about the negative, what are your thoughts to adapt the rule, or just say "get rid of it" if you want it gone (almost a poll with an opinion.)*

Edited by TexasCorpsFan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, without causing a DCP civil war were the "new age" and "old school" worlds collide in tacky, negative debate, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the electronic path we've taken (and I say "we" cause we're all still corps' family regardless).

I've seen it used in almost every corps so far, some doing a great job with it & other almost embarrasing themselves because of it's poor use.

Now where do we go? Like Bands of America will it take several years before it begins to become effective and a strength for these programs, or should the rule be re-thought and possibly gotten rid of all together, again?

I, personally, have been a complete supporter of electronics and the ability they have to help strengthen the over-all effect & sound of a group. However, as of right now at 04:05:06, 7-8-09 (pretty cool huh?...wont happen again till 3009!) anyways, as of now I'll admit some re-thinking should be done or the rule should be put to bed.

Drum corps just wasn't designed to have a psedo-indy rock band on the front sideline?! (Sorry Teal Sound) but really....just seems a bit much, however curvilinear drill was a "bit much" not too long ago also?!

*Again, let's not bash each other about the negative, what are your thoughts to adapt the rule, or just say "get rid of it" if you want it gone (almost a poll with an opinion.)*

Personally, I'd like to see them go away. It is yet another high-cost item that corps will need to buy.

Now, the caveat is, that if by using a synthesizer or three, you could get rid of the pit (and the extra truck (which requires fuel, drivers, maintenance) that hauls it around). That would lead to a cost savings. So maybe a good idea after all.

Heck, let's take it further. With synthesizers, (say, 10 or so) you could eliminate the brass and field percussion as well. I can see it now - a pit of electronics and a guard of about 130 on the field...

Although I believe that some corps are doing a great job with the incorporation of electronics in their shows, I am a little worried that electronics will be a substitute for the shortcomings of certain things, like perhaps, the hornline. There was one show I saw last night (I forget which corps) where it sounded like the electronics were taking the place of the tubas. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me. But there were other shows where the electronics worked VERY well with the show, for instance, Cadets and Crown. I think they did an excellent job adding them into the show.

I have been forever against them but as you see by my signature, they really haven't distracted from the show more than they have enhanced the shows. Now I say keep them, but come up with a concrete way of judging them. Spirit is taking a lot of flack as did the cadets in their exploration of new rules, but Spirits show is a good example of their use. They use that bass in a great way and with a solid player. The only thing Spirit hasn't done is show off their horn line and that is giving the thought that the pit and bass player are running or ruining the show ( however you personally see it). I think that the addition hasn't been explored to full potential yet. If it is needed to cover for lack of horns, then so be it. It would be nice to see a smaller pit due to synths playing some of those parts also, but I haven't seen that yet. I have seen them as a compliment rather than a detriment. Now about those woodwinds, I am actually starting to wonder how well they would be used and what compliments they might bring, and yes, I AM A DINOSAUR.

Now, just a minute. When you post this kind of material on DCP, you've just gone too far!!! :fight::tongue:

Everyone knows the moment of the century is not 04:05:06 at 07/08/09, it's 12:34:56 at 07/08/09. And if you're wondering, "Didn't we just have a moment of the century a year ago?", yes, you'd be right. It was at 01:23:45 on 06/07/08. But it's party time all over again! :tongue:

Like most things I've seen them used well, and poorly. I don't think it's really any different than liking or not liking a show 10 years ago.

Get rid of them. Take the mics too. I'll be back in the stands in a heartbeat.

I can live with amping the pit although I don't see the need for it.