Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

and Sam...i dont think you'd get the attendance for a dvd 2 weeks later that you would for a live show

I think you misread it...I meant a showing 2 weeks prior to the release of the DVDs....especially for those who couldn't go to the show in the first place.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still wouldnt draw, and may actually hurt dvd sales IMO.

honestly, i dont think the fan network would dissaude anyone from going to finals. you can not beat being there live.

what will turn people off is the same site for 9 years, especially if the facility has sound issues with the roof closed. which, if this is the case, dci can jack up the price of the fan network

and Sam...i dont think you'd get the attendance for a dvd 2 weeks later that you would for a live show

I agree.

No webcast, or even a tv/movie theatre broadcast, comes close to being there live.

The same site for several years isn't too exciting. I wouldn't very likely spend a whole week in Indy every year. Just come to semi-finals and fianals.

However, the thing that will keep me away is if the sound is as bad as I'm afraid it's going to be in a dome. If it is, I'll setle for Allentown most years. You can't beat being outside on beautiful summer night!!! :tongue:

Sorry I didn't' make myself clearer. Not PPV or TV -- just a web cast like they had in Denver. It becomes a marketing tool instead of a fundraiser. I understand why the Fan Network doesn't do finals -- too many folks would stay away from finals. But those same people probably will either (a) just watch semis or (b) go to theater for qtrs. So no *lost* income there. And the marketing value of all those HS band programs showing finals to their kids and parents make any costs involved worth it.

I do know there was some talk about trying to put the theater broadcast together for finals night, but the distributor said no because Saturday is their "bread and butter" night.

I do know there was some talk about trying to put the theater broadcast together for finals night, but the distributor said no because Saturday is their "bread and butter" night.

It is, but the irony is that by the second Saturday in August, the blockbusters have all been out for a few weeks and attendance has sharply cooled compared to June and July, and most cinemas have relatively light traffic for a Saturday. They probably wouldn't yield more net revenue in every market than they would with whatever movie they'd screen there, but they would in some markets. Its hard to get distributors to think outside of the box, though, and they likely have a no-Saturday policy generally. And there are markets where even the Thursday show only is viewed by no more than one or two dozen people, so that doesn't encourage thinking outside of the box.

Doing it on Saturday with the higher price DCI would want would also discourage sales and cannibalize some Thursday sales, if they tried to do that as well, or might yield less revenue than they might have gotten on Thursday if they didn't.

Edited by Peel Paint

Explanation for those thoughts, please?

*at least I'm proposing ideas!*

Sam....people arent going to want to pay say $15 to go watch a dvd on a big screen of something that was just live and will be in their mailboxes soon...if they even want to buy them.

say people didnt see any corps...see this on the screen...dont like it. it could affect dvd sales.

personally...run it on the fan network. charge extra for finals. say 50,000 people pay $30 for it.

thats $1.5 Million dollars for DCI minus expenses. I'd imagine it has to be a profit.

say now that 100k people get it.

thats $3 mil.

no brainer. especially if people DO get tired of Indy til death and the sound in the building sucks

stream the whole thing, not just scores