Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

Reba reruns cost nothing for the network...one rights fee and boom...all ad revenue is theirs.

to run a live event on broadcast tv is not cheap. WWE Monday Night Raw, live almost every monday of the year costs $600k for a 4 camera set up plus production trucks. WWE draws a core audience, which rises and falls, but stays consistent for the most part. they also have built in advertising for their products which can help because the network will want ad revenue.

DCI cant plus live events on commercial time...it';s finals. they dont market well enough to draw a list advertisers like upcoming movies, sports events, even soft drink makers.

because DCI is the niche it is....no network will pay for the rights. it's simple business and understanding how tv really works. face it, DCI had a hard time getting ratings higher than the NHL...that is not enough to attract any network for a one and done broadcast that requires multiple cameras, on air talent, production trucks and sattelite links to send it out

I agree. I think TV is dead to DCI: it's too much of a money pit. I think that an online stream would be WAY more lucrative from a business standpoint for DCI, and I hope they explore this option for the future. The way they've been developing their Fan Network service seems to be an indication they are potentially close to being able to stream Finals to us. With the right business approach (some ideas of which I've mentioned a few times both in this thread and others) I think that streaming DCI Finals could be a nice money maker for DCI.

But I think any sort of TV broadcast is, at this point at least, a losing proposition for DCI.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the advent of widespread broadband, I don't think it's unreasonable for the production of a quality streaming broadcast to be set up for finals. The question is, what sort of cost/benefit ratio will it have? Someone with insight into the sort of numbers DCI typically pulls for their webcasts could probably shed more light on that--but it seems to me that there are probably a lot of people out there who'd pay a fee to watch finals at home. That is, of course, a statement made with no facts whatsoever to back it up, beyond my own observations.

Jeff is right, and to add to his point, one of the things I noticed with the DCI on ESPN shows were the lack of ads. The breaks were short, almost too short and they were the same sponsors, which tells me they had a VERY difficult time selling add space. If you can't sell ads, you can't turn a profit.

for some odd reason, i read about the business side of media a lot.....and i work in mortgages LOL

but the key here is $$$$$$$$$$

a live broadcast over a national network is not going to be cheap. You need big time advertisers to help pay for that.

Pearl, Yamaha, Dynasty...not big time advertisers. Neither is Aerobed.

plus, in advertising for network broadcasts, its all about the demographics. ok so dci wants to grab that 14-30 year old audience most likely. they've made it clear the youth is in, screw us old ( at 40) farts :devil:

so....who would you target?

movies due out soon that appeal to that age group

video games

ipods/iphones/anything techy

retail clothing stores geared to that group...gap, old navy, nike, under armour

fast food

snack food

makes sense right?

but..has DCI tried to work with them? or go in hand in hand with BOA? because, i can pretty much bet the people running those companies have no clue who DCI is

What is the motivation for DCI to sell advertising on a show that ESPN collects all the ad revenue from?

DCI isn't selling the advertising, ESPN is. If my understanding of the contract is correct, they collect the profits from the advertising. DCI is paying to air it's product, they get nothing but the benefit of marketing their product. It's essentialy an infomercial in prime time.

so....who would you target?

movies due out soon that appeal to that age group

video games

ipods/iphones/anything techy

retail clothing stores geared to that group...gap, old navy, nike, under armour

fast food

snack food

makes sense right?

but..has DCI tried to work with them? or go in hand in hand with BOA? because, i can pretty much bet the people running those companies have no clue who DCI is

All of these options make sense, however, the real problem is trying to convince those company's to spend their marketing dollars on advertising a show with very little reach. TV Advertising has dropped over 30% at the network level, and probably more at the local level. Companies are very picky on how they spend their money right now, and almost no one is going to take a chance on a product with a limited audience.

Edited by Newseditor44

exactly. and let's be honest...DCI isn't going to bring in 2 million homes. i think at best it brought in 400,000 on ESPN. thats not going to draw in blue chip advertisers

All of these options make sense, however, the real problem is trying to convince those company's to spend their marketing dollars on advertising a show with very little reach. TV Advertising has dropped over 30% at the network level, and probably more at the local level. Companies are very picky on how they spend their money right now, and almost no one is going to take a chance on a product with a limited audience.

Again, closed circuit subscription web casts do nothing to increase fan or participation base. You look at it from the negative side that people don't know what it is, so thats bad. I look at it from side that people don't know what it is, and when they see it, they'll like it.

What about partnering with the Big Ten network? Anybody know anything about them?

Again, closed circuit subscription web casts do nothing to increase fan or participation base. You look at it from the negative side that people don't know what it is, so thats bad. I look at it from side that people don't know what it is, and when they see it, they'll like it.

What about partnering with the Big Ten network? Anybody know anything about them?

the Big Ten Network is set up exclusively to benefit the Big ten and only the Big Ten.

and here's the problem with trying to reach for the unknowns on broadcast tv:

the risk. Honestly, the only way to really get first time viewers is a big network, one of the traditional biggies. they have the advertising pull to draw them. most stuff on cable comes from word of mouth, or the studio is willing to pay the costs to advertise the hell out of it in print and tv to get some attention.

can DCI afford to pay for advertising in every major paper, network tv, talk shows etc for something on a "back" cable channel?

no. the risk/reward factor to pull in newbies is far more risk than DCI can afford and any network is willing to gamble on

Central PA just got it after a few threatened lawsuits. Cable company wanted to jack the monthly bill up big time to put the channel on the "no premium movie (HBO, etc) but 60 or so other weird ###ed channel tier". Lot of people told 'em to put it on the higher end packages and leave us non-Premium people the Hades alone.

Problem here is IIRC, Big 10 is shown in the midwest where all but one of the teams are. So not a nation wide hook up which DCI would want.

Central PA got it because of State Penn... err, I mean Penn State aka ####-on-You. :biggrin:

Central PA just got it after a few threatened lawsuits. Cable company wanted to jack the monthly bill up big time to put the channel on the "no premium movie (HBO, etc) but 60 or so other weird ###ed channel tier". Lot of people told 'em to put it on the higher end packages and leave us non-Premium people the Hades alone.

Problem here is IIRC, Big 10 is shown in the midwest where all but one of the teams are. So not a nation wide hook up which DCI would want.

Central PA got it because of State Penn... err, I mean Penn State aka ####-on-You. :biggrin:

That's not true, I'm in Annapolis, Maryland, and Comcast is all over it here. I get to watch my son march for the Gophers every weekend. For Free. It's part of the standard cable package.