10. VERSUS

11. Halmark

12. Style

13. Nik tonight

14. MTV2

15. CMT

16. 3 channels of FCS

17. Big Ten Network

Get out of this mindset that DCI needs to pay to broadcast.

Y'know what Lifetime has on for their prime time lineup from 7:00 til 10:00pm tonight? 6 episodes back to back of "Reba" reruns. Given the opportunity, I would hope that a network in a position like that might choose to pay for rights to show an exciting live DCI event with a built in audience, and sell advertising on it.

Reba reruns cost nothing for the network...one rights fee and boom...all ad revenue is theirs.

to run a live event on broadcast tv is not cheap. WWE Monday Night Raw, live almost every monday of the year costs $600k for a 4 camera set up plus production trucks. WWE draws a core audience, which rises and falls, but stays consistent for the most part. they also have built in advertising for their products which can help because the network will want ad revenue.

DCI cant plus live events on commercial time...it';s finals. they dont market well enough to draw a list advertisers like upcoming movies, sports events, even soft drink makers.

because DCI is the niche it is....no network will pay for the rights. it's simple business and understanding how tv really works. face it, DCI had a hard time getting ratings higher than the NHL...that is not enough to attract any network for a one and done broadcast that requires multiple cameras, on air talent, production trucks and sattelite links to send it out

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. MTV

2. Lifetime

3. USA

4. VH1

5. TBS

6. AETV

7. TLC

8. Nikelodian

9. Disney

10. VERSUS

11. Halmark

12. Style

13. Nik tonight

14. MTV2

15. CMT

16. 3 channels of FCS

17. Big Ten Network

Get out of this mindset that DCI needs to pay to broadcast.

Y'know what Lifetime has on for their prime time lineup from 7:00 til 10:00pm tonight? 6 episodes back to back of "Reba" reruns. Given the opportunity, I would hope that a network in a position like that might choose to pay for rights to show an exciting live DCI event with a built in audience, and sell advertising on it.

But that's a big key:

1. They have to view the product as exciting to begin with

2. They have to see the potential audience as large enough to justify the cost on their part

3. They have to see potential advertising dollars that will generate revenue for them

Based on the ESPN2 situation, the results for each of those 3 criteria were somewhat negative.

1. They obviously didn't view it very exciting, evidenced by planting it in a timeslot that is traditionally not watched anyway (i.e. no risk on their part)

2. They must not have seen potential for a wide audience, as evidenced by the timeslot (again), and making DCI foot the bill for production in its entirety

3. They didn't even try to line up additional sponsors..again, DCI did all the legwork

Other companies are bound to look at those years and at least be cautious.

It's easy to be an insider and say this is an exciting product; but much more difficult to convince an outsider, many of whom have dealt with lifetimes of preconceived notions about the lack of cool factor involved in being in band. And you can argyue all you want to them that this is not band, it's drum corps...but they will see it as band.

Edited by pags

How about this for a possible solution.

You want to see a near-final performance? Go to Quarterfinals in the theatre. Pay your $15. QTRs are not that different (IMHO) than Finals (kind of like Game 5 vs Game 7 of the World Series). Yes, there is more excitement in Finals than Qtrs, but they are quite similar. If you "Have" to see Finals, go to INDY, or get the DVD's.

You have to remember that to the networks its all about money and advertising. Although we like to think that drum corps fans would pull big numbers, the reality is potential advertisers would be hard pressed to buy an advertising package that would include a drum corps show. Reba and other reruns offer a much more attractive demographic and sizable audience. If I were a media buyer, I would shy away from buying ad space during a drum corps show, something most have never heard of.

And while the drum corps show on DCI may have drawn "decent" numbers (ratings), demographics play a large role in how media buyers choose where they spend their clients money. The demo's and appeal for a drum corps show just aren't there for prime time viewing. That is the reason DCI would have to "pay to play" and buy the airtime from a network, And if that is the case, it brings us back to the same situation as the ESPN broadcasts with the logical conclusion to stay with ESPN.

So you think there are millions of people that WANT to sit an watch 6 episodes of Reba? I'll bet they get a few hundred thousand people that use it as background noise.

Of course "Reba"'s advertisers aren't gonna understand Drumcorps! Geez, you would have to sell ad space to businesses that Drumcorps watchers patronize. Musical instrument manufacturers, fast food chains, sports drink makers, video game manufacturers, computer manufacturers, etc. Hell APPLE might cover the whole thing! Has anyone asked?

ESPN is reaming DCI.

So you think there are millions of people that WANT to sit an watch 6 episodes of Reba? I'll bet they get a few hundred thousand people that use it as background noise.

Of course "Reba"'s advertisers aren't gonna understand Drumcorps! Geez, you would have to sell ad space to businesses that Drumcorps watchers patronize. Musical instrument manufacturers, fast food chains, sports drink makers, video game manufacturers, computer manufacturers, etc. Hell APPLE might cover the whole thing! Has anyone asked?

ESPN is reaming DCI.

ESPN is not reaming DCI at all. If anything ESPN is doing DCI a favor by not holding them to the terms of the contract and forcing them to produce a program, or suing them for breach of contract. ESPN is being very generous.

I doubt Reba draws anywhere close to millions of fans, but I would argue that their ratings would beat a DCI program seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

In this economy, there aren't enough advertisers willing to spend money on a show that wouldn't draw ratings. And again, you have to consider demographics. You might not think they are a big deal, but that is what media buyers focus on na how they sell their clients. I've been in this business a long time, and can say with confidence this is not a money making venture for any network. Why do you think DCI had to pay ESPN for airtime.

As for anyone asking, yes yes and yes. DCI does their homework and has a top notch marketing staff, probably one of the best non-profit marketing teams in the country. Add a veteran broadcaster like Tom Blair and you have a group that knows what they are doing. I guarantee if there was a way to do this, they would have found a way to do it. But economics are the key factor, and although you might not like it, these decisions are vital to the continued success of DCI.

Edited by Newseditor44

ESPN is reaming DCI.

the cost of Reba outweighs the cost of drum corps. guess what...where were the ads when it was on ESPN? those businesses you listed know nothing of drum corps and wont take the chance.

and why they dont know? because drum corps never tried to market them

How about this for a possible solution.

You want to see a near-final performance? Go to Quarterfinals in the theatre. Pay your $15. QTRs are not that different (IMHO) than Finals (kind of like Game 5 vs Game 7 of the World Series). Yes, there is more excitement in Finals than Qtrs, but they are quite similar. If you "Have" to see Finals, go to INDY, or get the DVD's.

Bingo. For now, it's the best way to do it. If you don't like it, wait until next year when I'm sure things will be much different. Patience.

the cost of Reba outweighs the cost of drum corps. guess what...where were the ads when it was on ESPN? those businesses you listed know nothing of drum corps and wont take the chance.

and why they dont know? because drum corps never tried to market them

Jeff is right, and to add to his point, one of the things I noticed with the DCI on ESPN shows were the lack of ads. The breaks were short, almost too short and they were the same sponsors, which tells me they had a VERY difficult time selling add space. If you can't sell ads, you can't turn a profit.

Jeff is right, and to add to his point, one of the things I noticed with the DCI on ESPN shows were the lack of ads. The breaks were short, almost too short and they were the same sponsors, which tells me they had a VERY difficult time selling add space. If you can't sell ads, you can't turn a profit.

What is the motivation for DCI to sell advertising on a show that ESPN collects all the ad revenue from?