Great Surprise & Disappointment

great surprise

1. Boston Crusaders... wow, they are for serious. It would be fun to see BAC battled with PR.

2. Holy Name... Glad the fast and furious drill move come across the field well. Cavies is in trouble when Cadets have a more difficult drill than they do.

3. SCV... their design concept seems to come out well. still a fragile show but good performance comparing to the Houston performance

big disappointment

1. the commentary for Bluecoats... I really love their show this year but the commentary is just horrible. Don't think the new ending is any better.

2. Crown... just for tonight, they would quickly recover for sure.

3. Phantom... nice sound but the task of daunting to return to top five. I am interested to see how their music caption do tonight.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My .02...

1st viewing this year.

It's going to come down to the Cadets and BD. Cadets have the only show capable of beating BD.

Cavies...no excitement, not as clean as it should be for this time of the season.

Crown has a very nice show and superb horns but not enough demand.

SCV, BAC, Coats and Blue Stars toss a coin.

Troopers are a nice surprise.

I'll throw in an honorable mention for Pioneer and BK, for their commentators. Donny Allen was wise and knowledgeable, and Marc Sylvester was entertaining as all get out.

Kudos to all the corps. That was one heck of a show! Also, bravo to DCI. I know the webcast thing is still not perfect, but it was only 10 years ago that we would have thought something like this almost impossible. Most of us would have seen nothing tonight. Instead we got a real treat, providing you were able to get the telecast.

Impressions:

1. I love you BD, that is one great musical book and your show flows well and is readable. It's not cluttered, like so many others, and that is why you win. It is logical and well crafted...

2. BUT...I do think the Cadets have the goods on you this year. But they need to clean. If they do, the Cadets will be one tough corps to beat.

3. The Cavaliers really surprised me. I didn't like it as much in Toledo. I am starting to REALLY like it now. And that gorgeous sound of theirs. Very unique in this activity, so take it for what it is, and their visual program is always wonderful. Love this show and now see it top 3., maybe 4th, and that is only if Carolina can really clean.

4. Carolina Crown is impressive, but their show seemed flat tonight. They still have some major dirt in this show, and the transitions are sometimes awkward. Still, I love it, and it's no lower than 4...unless

5. SCV comes to play and cleans that show. Perhaps SCV just needs one addition or tweak. They need a bigger GE moment earlier in the show, and the tempos need to improve in some of the earlier statements. Otherwise, you just can't find a more elegant, beautiful show than this. Love it love it love it.

6. The Bluecoats are such excellent performers. Boy can that contra line lay it down. Best of the night, especially without bass amp helping them out. The closer is amazing, at least until the last few seconds, then I think it dies. They need less of the subtle stuff now and more exposure showcasing the brass and drums and guard. The theme, unfortunately (and I am a honk) is not coming across as well. It is a tough theme to pull off, for sure, and the closer just kind of dies. That said, MAN can they play, and the marching is really coming around. Top 6 is nothing to sneeze at. Keep it going guys, and clean that visual book.

Other reflections:

Nice to see Troopers in the top 12 for now. Way to go Fred!!! They look and sound fabulous.

Phantom Regiment still has one heck of a brass line. WOW! And their percussion is awesome. That was one of the most demanding brass books on the field. Sadly, they are struggling with the show theme, mainly the guard and the colors. They will have a tough time holding off Boston, who I thought had them tonight. Boston suffered from the intermission.

Finally, many kudos to the Crossmen for making such excellent progress on that show. I see lots of potential in that product and they just need to clean. Great stuff guys!

My favorite commentary was BK, and Boston Crusaders. I didn't hear others before those shows, but I did watch all the way until the scores were announced. Thanks to FanNetwork, many of the shows are more interesting due to the explanations, and the shout outs, as to what to watch for. Many interesting things going on this year, great job everyone

Oh yeah...BRAVO to Marc Sylvester!!! You are amazing. Listening to your commentary is worth the price of admission at any DCI show. It's no wonder that you write and create so many amazing shows, and it shouldn't shock anyone that you had a hand in so many World Champion shows. And your drill for Blue Knights is perhaps their best since 1992 and maybe ever. I love them this year. They were a big surprise too, and I forgot to mention that.

SCV, BAC, Coats and Blue Stars toss a coin.

you think all 4 of those groups are really on the same level? "It's anybody's game", right? lol

(and why is Phantom not in that coin-tossing group?)

Edited by nero14

Great disappointment?

The Fan Network. Still more glitchy than it ever has been. They know how many of us will be watching -- I doubt many are paying $19.95 for the solo viewing. Not sure why this is still an issue.

Not one single problem for me, and almost no one else was complaining.

Kudos to all the corps. That was one heck of a show! Also, bravo to DCI. I know the webcast thing is still not perfect, but it was only 10 years ago that we would have thought something like this almost impossible. Most of us would have seen nothing tonight. Instead we got a real treat, providing you were able to get the telecast.

Impressions:

1. I love you BD, that is one great musical book and your show flows well and is readable. It's not cluttered, like so many others, and that is why you win. It is logical and well crafted...

2. BUT...I do think the Cadets have the goods on you this year. But they need to clean. If they do, the Cadets will be one tough corps to beat.

3. The Cavaliers really surprised me. I didn't like it as much in Toledo. I am starting to REALLY like it now. And that gorgeous sound of theirs. Very unique in this activity, so take it for what it is, and their visual program is always wonderful. Love this show and now see it top 3., maybe 4th, and that is only if Carolina can really clean.

4. Carolina Crown is impressive, but their show seemed flat tonight. They still have some major dirt in this show, and the transitions are sometimes awkward. Still, I love it, and it's no lower than 4...unless

5. SCV comes to play and cleans that show. Perhaps SCV just needs one addition or tweak. They need a bigger GE moment earlier in the show, and the tempos need to improve in some of the earlier statements. Otherwise, you just can't find a more elegant, beautiful show than this. Love it love it love it.

6. The Bluecoats are such excellent performers. Boy can that contra line lay it down. Best of the night, especially without bass amp helping them out. The closer is amazing, at least until the last few seconds, then I think it dies. They need less of the subtle stuff now and more exposure showcasing the brass and drums and guard. The theme, unfortunately (and I am a honk) is not coming across as well. It is a tough theme to pull off, for sure, and the closer just kind of dies. That said, MAN can they play, and the marching is really coming around. Top 6 is nothing to sneeze at. Keep it going guys, and clean that visual book.

Other reflections:

Nice to see Troopers in the top 12 for now. Way to go Fred!!! They look and sound fabulous.

Phantom Regiment still has one heck of a brass line. WOW! And their percussion is awesome. That was one of the most demanding brass books on the field. Sadly, they are struggling with the show theme, mainly the guard and the colors. They will have a tough time holding off Boston, who I thought had them tonight. Boston suffered from the intermission.

Finally, many kudos to the Crossmen for making such excellent progress on that show. I see lots of potential in that product and they just need to clean. Great stuff guys!

Well done! And quickly I might add! :shutup: Not sure I agree with you about HNC and Cavies, I think BD needs to keep their eye on both of them. Crown is also a threat but I'm not sure about their use of the guard, they were amazing in 2007. Still.. they are a contender.

Edited by Plan9