Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

I don't think the problem is with theme shows, I just think some corps design teams aren't very good at designing interesting shows period.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant in my post earlier in the thread.

To me, a drum corps show should almost be like the animated movies we have with multiple layers of humor. There are visual gags and silly jokes to get the kids laughing, and then very subtle references and jokes for the adults. In short, a show needs to have depth. The Cavaliers are very good at beating you over the head with their show theme, and you'd be hard pressed to find a newcomer at a show who walked away not understanding what their show was about. However, a seasoned fan can watch their shows multiple times and uncover layers upon layers of subtlety. BD this year seems to follow this pattern as well. It's very easy to "get" this show when you see it live, but there's more than meets the eye if you choose to look that far.

Something for everyone.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, do we dumb down the design and the activity so Joe the plumber doesn't have to think? I'd much rather have a culture where shows have meaning, intrigue, and intellect. Someone please explain how random drill and music can be as effective as a program that has a unified structure. IMO, A good composition should have artistic unity, weather it's a painting, a symphony, architecture, or a drum corps show.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I wonder... Does drum corps really need to be high art?

and thats my issue. without doing all kinds of prior research, who would get that?

getting a drum corps show shouldn't require homework

Exactly right. Look.....I don't want to tie the creative teams hands behind their backs.....but I am getting really REALLY tired of reading a paragraph of convoluted mumbo jumbo explaining what a drum corps show is about. Most fans don't reference the corps show write ups before they attend a drum corps show.

Drum corps should not require one to do homework or research to enjoy all the nuances.....

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I wonder... Does drum corps really need to be high art?

No, not at all. I'll agree that some shows can become esoteric and are too highbrow, but even an elementary level book has form, structure, and unity. Some of the most effective shows are based on the simplest of concepts.

So, do we dumb down the design and the activity so Joe the plumber doesn't have to think?

No....we should be designing shows that generate excitement and spontaneous response..... not shows that makes one sit on their hands and ponder.....

I'd much rather have a culture where shows have meaning, intrigue, and intellect.
Someone please explain how random drill and music can be as effective as a program that has a unified structure.

Madison Scouts show from 1995 and 1996 were titled "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part I and Part II". No real high art in play here.....and they were/are two HUGELY popular shows

IMO, A good composition should have artistic unity, weather it's a painting, a symphony, architecture, or a drum corps show.

Everyone looks for different things.....to me...moderation is key....bu I prefer my drum corps experience to mirror that of a rock concert......not a stuffy concert hall or art gallery.....

Edited by Triple Forte

To me, a drum corps show should almost be like the animated movies we have with multiple layers of humor. There are visual gags and silly jokes to get the kids laughing, and then very subtle references and jokes for the adults. In short, a show needs to have depth. The Cavaliers are very good at beating you over the head with their show theme, and you'd be hard pressed to find a newcomer at a show who walked away not understanding what their show was about. However, a seasoned fan can watch their shows multiple times and uncover layers upon layers of subtlety. BD this year seems to follow this pattern as well. It's very easy to "get" this show when you see it live, but there's more than meets the eye if you choose to look that far.

Something for everyone.

This works for me. :sad:

Madison Scouts show from 1995 and 1996 were titled "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part I and Part II". No real high art in play here.....and they were/are two HUGELY popular shows

Everyone looks for different things.....to me...moderation is key....bu I prefer my drum corps experience to mirror that of a rock concert......not a stuffy concert hall or art gallery.....

I never suggested we design shows for people to sit and ponder, but, raw emotion isn't the only means to achieve an effective program. Madison 95 & 96 are great examples of an emotionally based concept, that was very effective. The drill and music still related to the program concept though, and there was compositional unity. Both of those shows HAD MEANING. I'll contend that a great rock concert has as much quality within the design and composition as what you'll hear in stuffiest concert hall. Good composition and quality design are not unique to any one genre IMO.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I never suggested we design shows for people to sit and ponder, but, raw emotion isn't the only means to achieve an effective program. Madison 95 & 96 are great examples of an emotionally based concept, that was very effective. The drill and music still related to the program concept though, and there was compositional unity. Both of those shows HAD MEANING.

Yes, but this is an emotionally-based activity. People love drum corps because of how they feel, not how they think. Or at least, if you're not going to engage your viewer emotionally, what's the point? At that point, you're only doing it for the judges...except, the judges don't pay admission, buy souvies, etc.

EDIT: More importantly, music moves us emotionally. That's the whole point of it. At least, that's what I think the point of it is.

Edited by atlvalet

No. When I form my own corps, we're going to have a DJ and rap dancing. :sad:

Yeah, I went to Santa Fe High School in Cali for my first two years in High School then we moved to Huntington Beach! Did you hear what happened to him that year in 2002? Some sad stuff. He was the most amazing music teacher I had up to that point! Great guy!

He is a great guy. I did hear about what happened there - crazy stuff. He's teaching at Golden Valley in Santa Clarita now.