OK what's up with Crown?

Crown, is a contender end of discussion. I do wish the traditional top 5 alumni and fans would open their mind to the possibility the top 5 will one day hopefully be composed of 4 new corps that never appeared there in the last 20 years. Crown is a great drum corp. I never marched their but what I like about them is this, they know they are the new kids on the block. Just like any other year in order to score a 92.0 against a traditional top 5 you really have to perform at a 94.0. It's not fair, I don't like it and most others probably don't either but its the system that has been put in place. It was like that over 20 years ago. Its like that now. This year I believe they do have the best show in DCI. Although SCV, Cavies or the CADETS can take that award this year with the slightest miss step by Crown. But if Crown does what it does best which is perform the show at what they deem acceptable, which of course is very high on the expectation level, they absoultely deserve a shot a winning. The judge can say clean and technical points all they want, but the crowd will see othewise. Ask some old DCI alumni, ten years from now you won't remember who wins DCI. You only remember great performances and you look at those performances as the champions of that year. If your performance does not warrant the high score, you will be forgotten. I know it sounds some what crude but its true. So back to the discussion CROWN is ok. They will pull it together for DCI. If anything they are probably using all of the scores and issues they faced this summer to motivate themselves. If not win DCI they will be in the top 3. Others will have to move over. :blink:

1. I do not think Crown is a contender.

2. Why would alumni of top 5 corps hope that their corps do worse? That doesn't make sense.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I do not think Crown is a contender.

2. Why would alumni of top 5 corps hope that their corps do worse? That doesn't make sense.

Two weeks before finals, I would venture that no contender to BD has yet emerged. I've been waiting for the big changes coming from Cavies and HNC and am now betting that usual Allentown "new verision Show 1.5" won't be enough for either corps to contend.

And those two corps are in better postitions than Crown is at present. Losing to HNC at NightBEAT was a big deal, given homeshow intangibles.

Clearly, all of the intangibles are with HNC and Cavies for 2nd and 3rd respectively. If Crown can get closer to HNC than a .5 over the course of this week, we could see them move toward 3rd, but I don't see this field product getting to the top spot.

Two weeks before finals, I would venture that no contender to BD has yet emerged. I've been waiting for the big changes coming from Cavies and HNC and am now betting that usual Allentown "new verision Show 1.5" won't be enough for either corps to contend.

And those two corps are in better postitions than Crown is at present. Losing to HNC at NightBEAT was a big deal, given homeshow intangibles.

Clearly, all of the intangibles are with HNC and Cavies for 2nd and 3rd respectively. If Crown can get closer to HNC than a .5 over the course of this week, we could see them move toward 3rd, but I don't see this field product getting to the top spot.

While I concur with your assessment, I think we have to remember what Regiment pulled off last year. I don't think any of us expected them to catch BD after Atlanta.

All I see is that Crown scored 93pts last night with 2 weeks to go.

As far as I'm concerned, that is awesome and I don't care how they place.

You don't have to win to have a winning show. I think the more corps that can get to 93 points by the end of the year, the better.

Maybe we CAN have 6 corps all score 95pts or better.

Either way, this is really awesome for DCI.

Tougher competition, increase in scores, more kids getting involved, its all good.

Who cares how they place? They are still awesome and that is the bottom line.

BW

With your vast knowledge of scaffolding, I can see where you would come to that conclusion.

God forbid someone have a different opinion about Crown.

Maybe we CAN have 6 corps all score 95pts or better.

Incidentally...last and only time this happened...was 1989. 1990 and 1988 also both had 5. Otherwise...always been top 3 or 4 above 95pts (except 1987, with 2...and this only goes for post-1983).

Lots of great constructive comments but what I sense in the arguments is the experience and approaches behind the scenes by perennial corps like BD, Cavaliers, HNC and recently again, SCV, which isn't perhaps fully understood by fans and many parents commenting. Go to a rehearsal and see how things get done. While Crown has incredible management, staff and tech team in place stuffed with 'been-there' individuals representing the elite, there is still a subtle but world of difference on how these guys engage in these critical weeks/days.

I spent fun weekend in Atlanta area this weekend and learned (and reinforced) more observing Cavalier, BD and Crown rehearsals. Big contrast in work hard - work smart as well as temperment and leadership amongst staff and their "running" not just the ensemble blocks but mentally keeping things at proper pace, balance and energy. They clearly have a detailed roadmap of WHAT to focus on in a coordinated manner, WHEN and HOW MUCH to invest for the value, while at same time assuring ownership and communication is on the field with the section leaders, officers (DM, etc) and allowing the behind-scenes team (techs, volunteers down to and including cook staff, drivers, etc. are all on same page as to what the corps needs today and in prep for tomorrow. e.g., watching Donnie Hall lead Cavalier rehearsal block and watching interaction of staff to plot the agenda before the guys got off the gym floor, hearing (and knowing some details) of what occurs in Critique and how that info and by whom that is addressed cummulatively is a ballet itself.

So, not taking anything away from Crown or others, but breaking into a consistent top-3 position has enormous dependence on this stuff -- and only IF a similar teaming and programming approach occurs during the Fall design process, Winter recruiting and Spring education and camp phases. It's not quite formula-istic but even legend stars on staff have hard time working or checking their turf at the door to truly work in such an intense collaborative environment. Watch some rehearsals especially at this stage of season and odds are that BD, CAV, HNC at minimum have an edge when most things are equal. We're talking about "tenth's of numbers" management and perception on a schedule of hours-to-go of on-field and in-bus roadmapping to Indy!

There are fundamentally different philosophies in the ways corps rehearse. I notice you didn't include HNC in your visits. Too bad. I couldn't imagine a greater contrast between two corps than HNC and BD. Yet both approaches have succeeded. So while the 'Cavalier approach' certainly works for Cavalier designs and corps, it doesn't have an 'edge' or superiority -- it's what works for them. There's a lot of things about the way BD run rehearsal that make so much sense to me. But I can see why they don't work at some other corps.

I *do* agree that watching corps rehearse is a worthwhile activity, But I wouldn't draw too many inferences about who's more effective. You're more likely seeing very different approaches to the same result.

Edited by corpsband

There are fundamentally different philosophies in the ways corps rehearse. I notice you didn't include HNC in your visits. Too bad. I couldn't imagine a greater contrast between two corps than HNC and BD. Yet both approaches have succeeded. So while the 'Cavalier approach' certainly works for Cavalier designs and corps, it doesn't have an 'edge' or superiority -- it's what works for them. There's a lot of things about the way BD run rehearsal that make so much sense to me. But I can see why they don't work at some other corps.

I *do* agree that watching corps rehearse is a worthwhile activity, But I wouldn't draw too many inferences about who's more effective. You're more likely seeing very different approaches to the same result.

Well said!!