Atlanta's Brave New World

Also, BD was unbelievably well put together. The show is just about pristine. A few bumps here and there but, good night, the horns sound close to flawless and the drill is unreasonably clean for right now.

However, the show is boring. I watched last night as a lot of people stood up at the end of the show, golf clapped and sat back down.

BD Horns are great.

BD Guard is great.

BD Percussion is great.

Drill program. IMO, I would like those that say they make it look easy to just stop. Please also stop using the excuse that it is sour grapes because they win all the time. They make it look easy because it is easier than a lot of corps below them.

Next year I hope that all corps in DCI stop concentrating so much on ensuring they have complex and entertaining drill. It is not required to excel at the activity. Please put your money and efforts into Horns, Guard and Percussion. This is all that you need to do well.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I don't understand is how Crown visual scores seems so high. They play great. drum great, spin great, but that drill is no better than phantom. All the dance and movement does nothing for me if it's not clean and just make the clarity look off. I'd have them below boston and blue stars.

That was another thing I observed last night.

A lot of people were genuinely surprised about Phantom's "low"* placement

I know I thought they performed well and deserved higher, though not by much, over Boston more than likely.

It's just a tough top 7 to be in this year. Really tough.

But I'll agree on guard comment. yeesh. that was...>_>

* - Within reason of the corps usual placement history. Certainly not a low number in terms of the corps there.

Edited by Stealthwolf

BD Horns are great.

BD Guard is great.

BD Percussion is great.

Drill program. IMO, I would like those that say they make it look easy to just stop. Please also stop using the excuse that it is sour grapes because they win all the time. They make it look easy because it is easier than a lot of corps below them.

Next year I hope that all corps in DCI stop concentrating so much on ensuring they have complex and entertaining drill. It is not required to excel at the activity. Please put your money and efforts into Horns, Guard and Percussion. This is all that you need to do well.

I disagree. I think they should keep it the way it is. BD is winning because they are great at what they do. If the other corps below them performed their show technically better than BD, then they'd win as well. As boring as people may think BD's show is, it is still adding to the variety of the competition this year, and I like that.

I'm not biased towards any corps. I know good drum corps when I see it. It could have been the Blue Devils performing Crown's show, and my reaction would have been the same. I have zero ties to any organization.

In a way, that is a bit of a shame. I'm rather new to DCI, and would probably appreciate the activity and recognize the artistry and talent that goes into the performances, but I'm way more passionate about it due to personal ties to one organization. That doesn't make me hate or dislike what other competing corps are doing, in fact I anticipate their shows just that much more for comparison and increasing my knowledge of the activity.

But, BAC history is now my history through transfer of my kids being involved. I couldn't imagine enjoying it more if I was just a disassociated observer. Competitive activities will expose bias, and as others have stated, its not a bad thing.

Great jobs by all corps last night.....

GO BAC!!!

Anyone know how long Brandt Crocker has been announcing for DCI?

According to this DCW interview, he goes all the way back to the first DCI championship in 1972 (though he missed a few years between then and now): An interview with the "voice of DCI," Brandt Crocker

For me, his voice is an essential part of the DCI finals experience. :satisfied:

If BD wins it will probably be my least favorite 1st place show in the history of DCI. Technically superior but almost nothing emotionally.

I've been hearing this criticism of BD since back in the days when I marched. (Hint: Dinosaurs were still roaming the earth.)

These threads always get more entertaining after scores are announced :satisfied:

True enough! :thumbup:

WHY aren't the scores posted on dci.org, and WHY isn't there vid available NOW on FN when it was available yesterday?