A little BD love

Really enjoying BD's show this year. Is it another Phenomenon of Cool or Winged Victory? Definitely not, but this show is still very well designed. One of the things I really like about this show is its simplicity. I don't need to listen to the designer's commentary to get this show, it is what it is. With the show as it is, it'd be sweet for them if this was number 13. With an in your face tag on ending (you know it's coming), I'll be rooting for the blue team Finals night.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, ok, I guess this wasn't clear the first 3 times I've said it, so let's try it again in a bigger, bolder typeface.

Post the minute/second marks where you start the clock and minute/second marks where you stop it.

Just saying "it adds up to this" doesn't mean jack unless you show us how it adds up to that. Didn't your gradeschool math teachers ever tell you to show your work?

Fan Network Atlanta, at 8:26 and 9:54 for starters.

Fan Network Atlanta, at 6:59 for starters. I also commented on this rather extensively in this thread, but God forbid anyone use the search feature...

Which is why they're in first place. Surprise, surprise.

First of all, your "proof" is an opinionated statement, which is all you've brought to the table so far. I can say that the Cascades have the hardest show and the "proof" is that they're in last place. That doesn't make a shred of it true, it's just opinionated statements backing up opinionated statements. It doesn't bring anything to the table for discussion. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Secondly, I already covered the marching and playing issue as a demand metric in this thread. It just doesn't hold any water, sorry. You know why there's no place on the sheet for the timing and penalties judge to log marching and playing time? Because demand is so much deeper than that artificially shallow metric.

Thirdly, measuring only the amount of time the brass marches and plays says that all you care about in a show is the hornline. I hate to break it to you, but there are guard members out there, there is a drumline, and there is a front ensemble, all of who factor into the perceived demand of a show by the judges. Their book and execution is equally important when perceiving both the overall difficulty of a show and the level of achievement by the performers. It's not as simplistic and black and white as you make it out to be.

I'm getting awfully tired of doing all this research for you. Do it yourself if you're going to make ridiculous claims like that.

####.....contrafart got his lunch handed to him with this one lol

k i just watched the show in ATL and I LOVED IT!!! im sure thats no surprise given my sign in name. I do feel however that the show ends like 15 - 30 seconds too early. the music they play at the end is flipping gorgeous and I NEED MORE! now I'm assuming they'll do a different ending by allentown but im just stating my opinion for the ATL show. otherwise good job guys your show is gorgeous i love it!

BD is good this year. No amount of complaining is going to change that.

I guess I just wonder what the motives are behind those who so vehemently criticize BD this year.

BD is good this year. No amount of complaining is going to change that.

I guess I just wonder what the motives are behind those who so vehemently criticize BD this year.

Jealousy.....pure & simple.....you're at the top that long, it happens.

Firstly, does anyone else find it ironic that the people who complain about BD's "arrogance" and passion for winning are people who march corps knowing from day one that they stand a snowballs chance in hell at winning the title? Coincidence? I think not. This isn't 8 yr old t-ball where everyone wins and then goes out for happymeals after the game. It is a *competitive* activity for young adults that just so happens to be entertaining for audience members to observe. Wah, BD likes to win and are actually concerned about it....Wah, my corps doesn't stand a chance at winning, so I automatically claim that being competitive against other corps isn't important. That is just how it is, people. I'm fine with it and found it to be quite exciting and motivational. Of course, when it comes to the public face (and no, I don't mean DCP), some humility will be exercised.

Secondly, the shows are indeed very difficult every year. As an alumni of the corps from this decade, when I watch shows since I've aged out, I'm amazed at how easy it is to NOT notice just how quickly people are moving around on the field. And I marched the corps! The corps just moves that well that it is so easy to not see the numerous people who are seriously hauling butt all the time. At any rate, I can attest to the difficulty, as I've been there, done that, and got the (golden) t-shirt.

The best part for me, though, of all of this, is reading about how worked up all you people get over BD. It happens EVERY year. I love it, to be quite honest. And in fact, most of us alums prefer it that way. We don't have to prove anything here to dcp, though sometimes we'll pipe up if so inclined.

At any rate, Congratulations Blue Devils on your season thus far, and may it continue as successfully.

Signed,

Creepy Honk

Edited by Creep

I'm not a big BD fan anymore. However, the uniform is a different story. I wish they would go back completely to the 93-03 uni. All those white lines look a hot mess. Seriously, there are white stripes on both arms, pants, and 2 sets on the drop, which is a giant rectangle. And then theres a huge distracting block of white on the vest.

Yikes. Gibbs, please just go back to before 03 on this. This uniform is dizzying.

I do feel however that the show ends like 15 - 30 seconds too early. the music they play at the end is flipping gorgeous and I NEED MORE! now I'm assuming they'll do a different ending by allentown but im just stating my opinion for the ATL show.

I completely agree 100%. I really enjoy the show, but the biggest weakness is the ending. It just kind of ends... there's no championship-quality exclamation point on the end of the sentence. It's awkward because it almost feels like the ending should have been about 30 seconds prior at the end of the jazz section.

I'm not too concerned though. BD's endings have always been a work-in-progress and I have no doubt they're working up a killer one as we speak. This is why I don't get why people think that BD's show is peaking now... the ending clearly needs tweaking and 2 weeks is the perfect amount of time to try some things, get feedback from the judges, and have things all tied up with a bow by championships.

There are so many problems with this thread it is just insane. First of all, a lot of people that don't enjoy BD's show have to completely tear it down and spit on it to make themselves feel better. Second, people that do like the show, honks, and Alumni/Dads & Moms have to act incredibly arrogant and sanctimonious about the show. God forbid somebody doesn't like the same show that you do. :huh: Why is everybody so unreasonable? :blink: