The Retractable Roof at Lucas Oil

If it is that bad, then we should do something more formal in terms of complaining to DCI after the event.

Agree. However pointless that may be, I think it needs to be done. With that said, lets just wait and see, maybe Lucas was build with space age sound absorbant concrete.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to be done or not, they're in a contractual agreement with the city right?

Looking at the design of the stadium, I'm not sure that it would make that big of a difference. Even with the moonroof (which is what it effectively is) open, there's still a huge structural overhang over the seats, which will keep sound bouncing around, especially in the upper seating tiers.

rendering1_0905.jpg

We're going this year to see how it is, and if the acoustics suck, we'll just do local outdoor shows from now on and leave Finals week for DVDs.

Looking at the design of the stadium, I'm not sure that it would make that big of a difference. Even with the moonroof (which is what it effectively is) open, there's still a huge structural overhang over the seats, which will keep sound bouncing around, especially in the upper seating tiers.

rendering1_0905.jpg

We're going this year to see how it is, and if the acoustics suck, we'll just do local outdoor shows from now on and leave Finals week for DVDs.

I am going to finals as well so hopefully it will be a great experience as far as the sound goes.

I have to say though, that is one beautiful stadium.

Here are some pictures of the actual stadium. First, from the outside looking in the window:

n6806987_47513144_9402.jpg

From the inside:

n6806987_47513146_9931.jpg

This may be old information, but here's the official answer that was posted long ago when DCI announced their decision to make a long-term commitmen to Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium:

Does this location mean that DCI is becoming an indoor activity?

No. What it means is that the DCI World Championships can never be rained out. The creative program designers of Drum Corps International member corps are the best in the world at what they do. DCI has no doubt that they will maximize all of the opportunities which this new venue will provide, and they will continue to create dazzling programs which will challenge their students while enabling them to continue to achieve the highest levels of excellence.

With the 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships currently scheduled as the first event to be held in the new Lucas Oil Stadium, we will be integrally involved with the creation of the standards for acoustics in the facility.

Will the retractable roof at Lucas Oil Stadium be open or closed for Drum Corps International events?

It is too early to tell what exactly will happen when the roof is open or closed, and every option and related consequence will be explored and evaluated. It is DCI’s expectation at this point in time, that whenever the weather allows, the roof will be kept open.

For example, if high humidity or high temperatures may detract from the experience of the performers and fans, DCI may choose to close the roof for comfort and/or safety considerations. That these options are even within the realm of consideration are tremendous assets for DCI in the production of the most elite marching music competitions in the world.

If conditions require DCI to keep the roof closed, there are provisions being made to create the best possible acoustical environment indoors. DCI will also be cooperating with acoustical modeling and sound testing of the stadium during the construction phase whenever called upon to do so.

Edited by MBIBari

rendering1_0905.jpg

My wife and I have also reached that conclusion. If it is bad, we will tank up on outdoor shows like Murfreesboro and Allentown and pass on finals. It would be the first ones we would have missed in over 15 years. I can't believe that we are actually contemplating this!!!!

This may be old information, but here's the official answer that was posted long ago when DCI announced their decision to make a long-term commitmen to Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium:

When in Indianapolis in August is the weather blessed with low humidity and low temperatures? I would say the chance of the roof being open at less than 5%. I have heard that the roof will be closed, but I cannot confirm that. Once again, I hope that I am wrong.

I also agree with the earlier poster that it might not even matter if it is open as the stadium was not designed with sound in mind. I wish that finals were being held in Bloomington again!

I have a question:

When was the last time there was a problem with rain conditions at finals? I remember in 2003 there were thunderstorms and lightning delays, and in Foxboro there was a heat delay, but no rain delay comes to mind. Why was that such a big factor for DCI to decide to use this 'semi indoor' facility?

When in Indianapolis in August is the weather blessed with low humidity and low temperatures? I would say the chance of the roof being open at less than 5%. I have heard that the roof will be closed, but I cannot confirm that. Once again, I hope that I am wrong.

I also agree with the earlier poster that it might not even matter if it is open as the stadium was not designed with sound in mind. I wish that finals were being held in Bloomington again!

Not quite true...as posted in the Q&A in another post, DCi people were involved in the acoustic quality. The stadium was specifically designed to not just host football, but all sorts of activities, music included. Thus, the question will be not whether it was designed with this in mind, but rather did the design succeed as it was planned for this? There are a lot of questions about this yet to be answered, and unfortunately Finals is going to be an experiment rather than a conclusion to this matter. I would not be surprised to see them experimenting with things over the next couple years to improve acoustics (assuming they don't go as planned this year).

I don't know the details surrounding doing the deal how and when they did, but I have been curious why DCI elected to sign such a long-term deal before ever performing in the venue to confirm it was conducive to their activity.