Strangest Place You Ever Played A Standstill

We also played for the Lady Keystone Open at the Hershey Country Club in Hershey PA. Nothing like marching down the fairway to the green and hoping you don't trip over a sprinkler head. They did take pretty good care of us with liquid refreshments though.

Yeah- I remember the LKO. Maynard had a sweet spot for Jan Stephenson, LOL. I got to see her tee off with him while we got ready to do the march down the 18th fairway for the awards ceremony. We did have a few people lock their knees up the one year- DOH! I remember them hitting the green...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bob, I know we played in the disco in 1981 when I was with the corps. We also did the gig at Penn National horse track for the Governors cup. We played in the morning for the start of the 5k run and I think we played a few times in between races but not sure. I know we went out on the track and did minor drill right before the trophy race. Like Steel City Ambassadors, we also played for the Lady Keystone Open at the Hershey Country Club in Hershey PA. Nothing like marching down the fairway to the green and hoping you don't trip over a sprinkler head. They did take pretty good care of us with liquid refreshments though.

Yeah, the VIP (finally remembered the name of the place) was after I left and working so 1981 sounds better.....

Either 1978 or 1979 we were at a show in Binghamton(?), NY and half the horn line went to "something" that had to do with publicity for the show that night. I was with the half that stayed at the practice site and hung around with our thumbs up our butts. Half that did the "something" came back with dazed looks like they didn't know what wa going on either. Never did find out what happened.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It had to be at a firemen's parade one time at their carnival. They were a volunteer fire dept. and ran the carnival to raise money. We were just in an arc in the lot cleaning our show after the parade when one of their guys came yelling and screaming for us to stop playing. Apparently we were drawing too many people away from the carnival. :thumbup:

Edited by Piper

1989 CADETS

I remember getting off the busses and filing into the courtyard of a corporate center around lunchtime. The corp did a standstill of the show and a few other selections. It was actually pretty cool as the music echoed through what almost seemed like a park-like atmosphere and watching everyone come to the windows and start filing outside.

I remember leaving thinking that was oddest thing.

It had to be at a firemen's parade one time at their carnival. They were a volunteer fire dept. and ran the carnival to raise money. We were just in an arc in the lot cleaning our show after the parade when one of their guys came yelling and screaming for us to stop playing. Apparently we were drawing too many people away from the carnival. :thumbup:

I don't see this as strange, as on Long Island, we used to have standstill contests after many of these Fireman's parades!!!

Where are you from?

When I was in Vanguard, we did a standstill on the grounds of a mental institution in the Bay Area (true story), and it was a lot like those you see in the horror films.

The 1988 Vanguard also performed a standstill in a mall in the Midwest, with the drum line still playing a cadence as it went up an escalator. Not scary, but loud as [bLEEP].

Bonnie Brae in New Jersey. Look it up. It was like Bedlam for troubled youth in the '70s (old horror picture reference, think Arkham Asylum for juvies.)

We had work weekends there in '75 and '76 ... We might have played for the residents, I don't remember, but it was the strangest place I've ever practiced.

When I was in Vanguard, we did a standstill on the grounds of a mental institution in the Bay Area (true story), and it was a lot like those you see in the horror films.

The 1988 Vanguard also performed a standstill in a mall in the Midwest, with the drum line still playing a cadence as it went up an escalator. Not scary, but loud as [bLEEP].

Way back in the day, we always did a standstill show at a nearby mental hospital, Danvers State Hospital. We did a standstill on a lawn on one side of the building (the men's wing), and then went to the other side of the building (the women's wing) and repeated the show.

The girls in the color guard were not allowed to be in the show on the men's side because there would be a number of patients standing in the windows doing all sorts of crazy (not surprisingly) things - mostly involving certain body parts. For some reason, those same types of things never happened on the women's side - much to this fourteen year old's chagrin.