SCV Show

By now, we are all endeared with SCV's production Ballet for Martha. I just watched the Allentown FN video and was astounded as to how silent the audience was. I think it might also be worthwhile to say that even during sections that it seemed okay to applaud, no one really was. It's not a reaction grabbing show.

Now, I know the show calls for that and is VERY musical and intimate, but the question is would this show fall into "boring" if we didn't all know and love the music from years past?

It is the artistry and performance that has gotten the members this far. Was it just the FN video that made the audience seem disconnected? Crown's show sure seemed exciting to the crowd.

Maybe it was all the show changes and possible watering down that made the show seem like it had awkward transitions and silent spots tonight (where applause would usually go?).

Just an observation. Everyone should know that I love to love SCV.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By now, we are all endeared with SCV's production Ballet for Martha. I just watched the Allentown FN video and was astounded as to how silent the audience was. I think it might also be worthwhile to say that even during sections that it seemed okay to applaud, no one really was. It's not a reaction grabbing show.

Now, I know the show calls for that and is VERY musical and intimate, but the question is would this show fall into "boring" if we didn't all know and love the music from years past?

It is the artistry and performance that has gotten the members this far. Was it just the FN video that made the audience seem disconnected? Crown's show sure seemed exciting to the crowd.

Maybe it was all the show changes and possible watering down that made the show seem like it had awkward transitions and silent spots tonight (where applause would usually go?).

Just an observation. Everyone should know that I love to love SCV.

These Copeland pieces were my first musical love as a kid growing up. I am so happy someone has embraced the music as it is and gone out on that limb. I do wish that some of the more difficult runs were attempted by the hornline rather than percussion. The music is so exposed in places and i think that with a better visual design and more hornline exposure to more technical parts would have made this show off the charts. As it is, it is a wonderfull production, but just not quite what it could have been in my opinion.

I just watched the Allentown FN video and was astounded as to how silent the audience was.

My impression too (big SCV fan here). Anyone else think Crown needs to add some drill for the end of their show?

Just watched it. From my perspective it seemed fine. The audience really doesn't get much chance to react to this show until the company front..it just keeps on moving until then, at which point i could barely hear the corps over the audience.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

I noticed the audience didn't really react enthusiastically to many shows other than HNC....this could be because it was a home show for them and they had some type of alumni function there. That being said, it could mean that there were some Garfield 1987 alumni there that might not be so impressed with there show. I sat next to some in Dallas and they had some words to say about it. However, I don't think that would make it a reason not to applaud. Regardless, they have a GREAT show this year and I am sure the crowd will be much more enthusiatic at Indy.

Edited by BDguardsman

Being there, I'd have to say that everyone loved SCV. It was just that the crowd felt it was more appropriate to take in the show, and cheer at the company front rather then stick out in random moments. The tension was nuts, and that's kind of something you can't feel on an internet video...

I noticed the audience didn't really react enthusiastically to many shows other than HNC....this could be because it was a home show for them and they had some type of alumni function there. That being said, it could mean that there were some Garfield 1987 alumni there that might not be so impressed with there show. I sat next to some in Dallas and they had some words to say about it. However, I don't think that would make it a reason not to applaud. Regardless, they have a GREAT show this year and I am sure the crowd will be much more enthusiatic at Indy.

I was there last night, and there were virtually no cadet alums at all. Im guessing the most hard core ones went to their bash / celebration in jersey...me, I'd rather see night 2 of allentown. Either way, I wouldnt use that as justification.