Terrible Sound in Lucas

Soundwise it would be GREAT to have the roof open.

It would make the place hot and humid.

The corps could handle it easily...but fans would be passing out by the hundreds.

Too cool in here for me but the lady next to me is fanning herself!

Isn't the sound really the MOST important thing? These are musical groups.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least one corps definitely designed their show for the dome this year. Don't remember who it was, but one of the people providing commentary at San Antonio said they designed their show for a dome.

There was a field pass after SA where a member of the Cavilers said it was nice to finally hear how their show was designed to sound.

Funny... I actually attended the show with someone with an engineering degree. So between the party of three I was with, we had 4 music degrees and 1 engineering degree. :tongue:

....and with all that brainpower you probably couldn't remember where you parked. I kid, I kid.

That's just impractical. Aside from housing issues, does anyone remember the p*ssing and moaning last year when Championships were moved a few months in advance? Could you imagine if notice were given on, say, the Sunday before?

I appreciate the theatre folks sharing the comments. But was it my imagination or did DCI tell us that the roof would be open or closed based on the weather conditions. I'm all for closing the roof, sound notwithstanding, if the alternative is a rainout or delay. But otherwise, I guess many people thought we'd have the roof open. I understand that would screw with the curtain; so be it. It looked cool but I'll trade that off.

Well, based on housing issues, Bloomington is a far better alternative, I do believe more corps were housed closer to there then they were in Indy. I'm betting if there was a possibility of it being in either location, a lot of people would have multiple hotel reservations, I know last year when I found out the move was official, I made reservations at 3 AM in Bloomington.

I recall there being a discussion at one point in time that if there was a threat of rain, the roof would be closed, I could have lived with that, we would have had the roof open 2 of the 3 days, I was irate in my hotel parking lot on Thursday when I realized that there was a 7% chance of rain and the roof was closed. :tongue:

You can only properly state the quality of the sound in this facility as unacceptable. Drum Corps is a musical product. I have watched and participated in Drum Corps for the last 30 years and have continually seen the activity improve with the quality of their musical product. This facilities sound quality takes us back to the days of the single valve bugle! I would hope that DCI would take this issue seriously and address the legitimate concerns of their fans. Either resolve the sound quality issues by opening the roof or through some other method, or move the venue back to an open air stadium. I believe that paramount to this organization's responsibility is the music quality. DCI needs to focus all of it's efforts on this issue quickly or I believe they will see this events attendance dwindle over the next ten years. I personnaly would like to continue to enjoy this event and would ask DCI to do some soul searching and ultimately work to SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

I will be writing to DCI directly and I would encourage others to do the same.

You can only properly state the quality of the sound in this facility as unacceptable. Drum Corps is a musical product. I have watched and participated in Drum Corps for the last 30 years and have continually seen the activity improve with the quality of their musical product. This facilities sound quality takes us back to the days of the single valve bugle! I would hope that DCI would take this issue seriously and address the legitimate concerns of their fans. Either resolve the sound quality issues by opening the roof or through some other method, or move the venue back to an open air stadium. I believe that paramount to this organization's responsibility is the music quality. DCI needs to focus all of it's efforts on this issue quickly or I believe they will see this events attendance dwindle over the next ten years. I personnaly would like to continue to enjoy this event and would ask DCI to do some soul searching and ultimately work to SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

I will be writing to DCI directly and I would encourage others to do the same.

The DCI Championship was hugely successfull in all areas. Championship is not about music quality but raising enough cash so the corps can continue to survive. You will not see one article from any corps about the acoustics in Lucas Stadium they are all busy counting cash.. If you want music quanlity go to the opera. All future DCI major events will be inside domes with the roof closed. That is the only way that DCI (the corps) can insure the financial success of the events. Everyone has the option to stay home. The 2009 Championship was the best ever and I have been attending since 1972.

Championship is not about music quality

...really? The ultimate competition of the year for a musical activity is not about musical quality?

The DCI Championship was hugely successfull in all areas. Championship is not about music quality but raising enough cash so the corps can continue to survive. You will not see one article from any corps about the acoustics in Lucas Stadium they are all busy counting cash.. If you want music quanlity go to the opera. All future DCI major events will be inside domes with the roof closed. That is the only way that DCI (the corps) can insure the financial success of the events. Everyone has the option to stay home. The 2009 Championship was the best ever and I have been attending since 1972.

well if fans want musical quality, they may stay away and then there is less cash, so I'd say DCi should probably take a look at some things to make it better in there

Some of the critics on here are acting as if they were at La Scala! For ##$%^@ sake, this is drum corps with 80 horns blasting, bass drums, swords flying, flags waving, young men and women doing somersaults on a football field! Sure , perhaps the sound might not be perfect, BUT there will be..........

No Rainout

No Police and fire sirens

No top five corps ruining other corps shows with their warm ups

No Airplanes or Canadian Geese doing flyovers

No decisions on how to seed corps when a show is cancelled

No Mass. State cops yelling at people like they were on their way to the UFC championship

No financial loss to airlines and other because of weather related factors

The show will go on

The show will go on

Perfectly ? perhaps not, but I can deal with some imperfection rather than the above

You have convinced me. No one else has said it, but since you are dcifanforlife and you said that it "was hugely successful in all areas" and that it was the best finals in DCI history, who am I to believe all of the others that hated it. :tongue: