DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my own .02 on the whole "were they booing the Devils or the score" question. There is no question they were booing the score. Strong applause had already started during the beginning of the announcement of their victory (and people were rising to applaud - respectfully - but not in the leap to your feet in excitement type of way). Only when the score was announced did the boos start.

Your observation, while accurate, also ignores a harsh reality. A reality that is disturbing to me.

This is a youth activity. These are kids. They are OUR children. Many are still in high school. They ALL work like dogs, and they do so in large part for the thrill of hearing a crowd roar at the end of their show.

Sitting in the upper deck, I personally observed, on three consecutive nights, how the fans (identified by shirts and hats) of one corps would consistently jump up and cheer for a powerful performance from any corps...except BD. This was most eggregious from the SCV section, where I observed dozens of people who remained in their seats and did not even politely "golf clap" for BD's performance, nor for their championship.

I'm sorry, but that is disgusting. Perhaps most-disturbing was a lady, probably in her late 60's, wearing SCV regalia. I recognized her from last year, when she also sat near me. She not only ignored BD's performances both years, but she actually cheered BD's heartbreaking '08 loss.

I'm a band parent, too. We publish a handbook to our new parents, reminding them that we stand and cheer for the performances of all other bands, even at the big competitions.

Have some DCI fans now slipped into thinking this is professional wrestling or cage fighting, where abuse of the performers is part of the show? Or maybe I just haven't heard about how my 19 year-old son personally insulted or harmed that old lady's family (he must have slipped out at night during all-days.)

Nobody booed Crown's score. Nobody booed the fact that these scores, overall, were the highest in history. They waited to boo until after BD's score was announced.

This disrespect, and failure to support all the kids who take the field, is bad for the activity. I hope it isn't a growing trend.

p.s. I'm a BD parent, so my view of the show itself is totally biased: It was incredibly clean (and the DVD will speak for itself.)

Your observation, while accurate, also ignores a harsh reality. A reality that is disturbing to me.

This is a youth activity. These are kids. They are OUR children. Many are still in high school. They ALL work like dogs, and they do so in large part for the thrill of hearing a crowd roar at the end of their show.

Sitting in the upper deck, I personally observed, on three consecutive nights, how the fans (identified by shirts and hats) of one corps would consistently jump up and cheer for a powerful performance from any corps...except BD. This was most eggregious from the SCV section, where I observed dozens of people who remained in their seats and did not even politely "golf clap" for BD's performance, nor for their championship.

I'm sorry, but that is disgusting. Perhaps most-disturbing was a lady, probably in her late 60's, wearing SCV regalia. I recognized her from last year, when she also sat near me. She not only ignored BD's performances both years, but she actually cheered BD's heartbreaking '08 loss.

I'm a band parent, too. We publish a handbook to our new parents, reminding them that we stand and cheer for the performances of all other bands, even at the big competitions.

Have some DCI fans now slipped into thinking this is professional wrestling or cage fighting, where abuse of the performers is part of the show? Or maybe I just haven't heard about how my 19 year-old son personally insulted or harmed that old lady's family (he must have slipped out at night during all-days.)

Nobody booed Crown's score. Nobody booed the fact that these scores, overall, were the highest in history. They waited to boo until after BD's score was announced.

This disrespect, and failure to support all the kids who take the field, is bad for the activity. I hope it isn't a growing trend.

p.s. I'm a BD parent, so my view of the show itself is totally biased: It was incredibly clean (and the DVD will speak for itself.)

sad to say, rvials dont ususally cheer each other in the stands. after all, Michael Irvin got a career ending injury in Philly, and the crowd cheered.

I'm pretty good at moving chairs too. I bet I could play a horn for 7min too!

Just have to comment on the "moving chairs" comments that have been made. I watched a number of BD rehearsal blocks, and they had to work incredibly hard to make sure that each of those chairs was left in precisely the correct spot.

When you watch the DVD, look at how many times they had to march or even run backward toward and alongside those chairs, often blind. If you don't like the use of props, that's fine, but you'll have to admit that the PRECISE placement of those props to allow high-speed movement (while playing complex music!) was impressive.

Ok, I'm taking over my friends account to respond since I was there with the "SCV crowd". Not sure what you are referring to. I did not see at all what you mentioned as a lack of class or respect from us toward any other organization. We may be long-time rivals, but we have much respect for the blue team. Not too long ago, the alumni from each corps recently teamed up and performed side by side with each other. We shared stories and had a blast. I was also at finals last year. When BD was announced in 2nd, I cheered loudly (along with thousands of others). Does that mean I was cheering for the heartbreak of BD members? Of course not. To say otherwise is quite ridiculous of you to be honest. I have much respect for all the members out there. But I wanted to see PR win and that night was an emotional night for many there.

Also, you must be very new to the activity. Finals night reaction was really tame compared to what I've seen in the past. In 2003 the crowd booed when SCV beat PR at quarters and semis. Were they booing the members of SCV? Of course not. The crowd was just connected with PR in 03 and wanted to see them make a run. Just like the crowd this year wanted to see Crown take the title. And in the 90's the crowds were really loud in voicing their displeasure at finals. Also, most of these members aren't kids. They are young adults for the most part (Esp BD members). And I think they are smart enough to know the crowd isn't booing them, but rather the judges placement or score. It's still a competitive activity after all. And congrats to BD on #13.

Edited by Feathers Up

...but she actually cheered BD's heartbreaking '08 loss.

Well, I guess I fail at life, because I did the same thing.

Newsflash! This is a competitive activity, and I wanted Phantom Regiment to win because they absolutely set the field on FIRE with their outstanding performance... (and I'd wager that 80%+ of those in attendance cheered just as I did)... so is that a bad thing?

Note: I did not "boo" anyone when Blue Devils were announced with that ridiculous score of 99.05 this year.

Sure, this is a youth activity, but at the very highest level. If you want everyone to be a winner in life, attend BOA or have your child join a high school marching band in Ohio where everyone competes against themselves with only division ratings at "State Finals".

Furthermore, as much as I hate to compare and contrast BD '08/'09 to Star '93, I'm going to. First, your average joe blow fans aren't going to make harmonious love (applause, screaming, throwing babies, etc.) to a show they can't relate with or aren't enjoying. They will always root for the underdog, the one that gives them goosebumps, the one that creates legendary moments that will remain in one's memory for a lifetime. As it has been with BD the past two seasons, the fans never really rooted for Star either. They hated their unfamiliar sound, their misunderstood concepts, and everything else about the corps itself (there was a reason why they were termed the "Mickey Money" corps). In contrast, looking into the aftermath of both shows, BD '08 (or '09 for that matter) will never be what Star '93 ultimately ended up being, as they really aren't doing anything above and beyond, earth shattering, or activity-changing in their show. Star '93 was 10 years ahead of its time, whereas BD is taking techniques they (and others) have used for YEARS (alright, sans the chairs) and simply perfecting it to play the adjudication game.

Regarding your broad strokes of lead paint in regards to DCI fans, there are several reasons why people react the way they do to certain shows. And whether you agree with it or not, when a "youth activity" is transformed into a major league production such as DCI Finals where PAYING CUSTOMERS are sitting in seats on the goal line for $125 bucks a pop, why should they feel compelled to cheer for something they don't enjoy? If I pay $125 to attend a show at some grand ballroom with the world's greatest comedian and I'm sitting in the nosebleeds all the way in the corner of the balcony, well first, I'm already ###### about the seats, and second, if he comes out and performs the same set he did 5 years ago with old jokes and lame monologues, how do you expect me to feel?

Turning back to drum corps, hopefully next season I can jump out of my seat again as I did over a decade ago when I first saw the Blue Devils live. They were truly stunning, and what I felt to be the "best of the best". Same went for the Madison Scouts. Holy crap, I enjoyed that corps more than any other when they were inducing unexpected projectile pregnancies from people and simultaneously throwing away the judges tapes.

So until something like that returns, I'll have to cheer on the likes of Carolina Crown with their outstanding musical writing and performance, The Cadets for their insane attempts at drill maneuvers, the Bluecoats for their originality on the field and gorgeous ballads, or even the Boston Crusaders for some sexy time. And this is all because it is my preference, and what I enjoy in relation to how much I PAY to see it.

Edited by IMcomguy

We beat the booing horse to death over the last several years with the Cadets narration fiascos.

While I am a believer in never booing at an event like this, I don't see the problem with golf claps or not wanting to give false applause to something you don't like. Lack of response isn't rude and doesn't infringe on others around you.

Also, most of these members aren't kids. They are young adults for the most part (Esp BD members). And I think they are smart enough to know the crowd isn't booing them, but rather the judges placement or score. It's still a competitive activity after all. And congrats to BD on #13.

you may want to tell that to many of the powers that be.....they saying booing hurts the kids, have all the way back to 1991 Star.

in fact, go look at Hop's comments the last 4 years prior to this year

Good Grief... :shutup: THE KIDS!!! BE CAREFUL FOR THE KIDS!!! Those "kids" are not so innocent (unfortunately), in case you hadn't noticed. The kids enter the activity fully knowing it is a competitive sport and they may lose or be disliked. Drumcorps has had these kinds of "fans" that sit on their hands during specific corps performances for a long time now. Your little angel will not shatter if he hears someone booing them. It is an ugly thing, but some people are just stupid and take this activity WAY too seriously. It's just marching band, no big deal. Oh, and a LOT of people cheered "BD's heart breaking loss" last year. They were over joyed that their favorite, The Phantom Regiment, had won. It was awesome.

Edited by Cardman

IDK, all the BD kids I talked to and saw at the airport were elated and thrilled about their season. I think they could care less what DCP or others think. Why should they feel upset, they're BD, it comes with the territory. Don't worry moms, dads, and fans, BD continues to do what they need to do. The criticism has been going on since the 70's.