RIP Mass Brass

Tonight, for the first time in I don't know how long, there was no mass brass performance during retreat. No America the Beautiful, no Champion's Fanfare, nothing. Do you think they're taking a break due to last year's fiasco, or is it gone for good?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

both

A. With all the flack they got from last year, why take the risk?

B. The kids in the twelfth place corps have never had to keep their instruments, flags, etc. out for retreat in their lives. Why make them do it once a year?

C. Change. It happens.

Edited by mfrontz

Tonight, for the first time in I don't know how long, there was no mass brass performance during retreat. No America the Beautiful, no Champion's Fanfare, nothing. Do you think they're taking a break due to last year's fiasco, or is it gone for good?

Wow: corps didn't take instruments onto the field for retreat?! Did any corps play anything after retreat? I assume Dev's did their victory encore, right?

It makes sense after last year that DCI decided not to do a mass brass performance. But, wow, I didn't see that coming.

Thank god they did away with this. I have no desire to listen to 12 hornlines play out of tune with each other with half of them making up parts and hanging releases on purpose, sounding like absolute crap after spending their entire summers on a quest for perfection. Good riddance!

Thank god they did away with this. I have no desire to listen to 12 hornlines play out of tune with each other with half of them making up parts and hanging releases on purpose, sounding like absolute crap after spending their entire summers on a quest for perfection. Good riddance!

I agree. Not something I'm interested in ever hearing.

But, if the kids all want it, then I'm fine with it.

Perhaps it's time to bring back the old retreat....Each corps has 5 minutes to play themsleves off the field, honoring the champion, then the field belogs to the winner...

It always seemed to me that the Mass Brass thing took longer than the old retreat anyway....

Perhaps it's time to bring back the old retreat....Each corps has 5 minutes to play themsleves off the field, honoring the champion, then the field belogs to the winner...

It always seemed to me that the Mass Brass thing took longer than the old retreat anyway....

Agreed. But I don't think the mass brass was longer... we definitely took forever when playing off the field. but I do wish it would come back. I loved hearing all the corps songs or selected show segment specific for that "exit encore" - which is kinda what it is.... a little mini-encore for each corps to leave the audience and the champ with a little "thank you".

I know it takes a while and stadiums wanna kick everyone out so they can shut down and clean. But you know, it would make up for the fact that they only do retreat for finals now. Back in my day, we'd do full corps retreats for EVERY show... even those little ones in Iowa. ;)