Standing up too much?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those situations where a little charm and teaching (saying something with a smile, like Lead suggested above) can turn a negative into a positive. On the other hand, if you cop an attitude right back, or even if you don't but the other person will not be placated, I've seen things like this (especially if fueled with a little alcohol) turn into a fight or ejection(s) at drum corps shows.

You're half the equation...

Now see, I saw the topic of this thread and I thought you were talking about the Blue Devil's drill. :tongue:

At the Atlanta show, we had a lady ask us to sit down after Santa Clara (the longest standing ovation ever) left the field. The Cadets were at the gate, about to come on the field (but not ON the field), and she didn't want to miss anything. Never mind that the stadium was still buzzing and probably 2/3 of the people in our section were still standing.

Oh, and WHY DON'T YOU PUT YOUR GIANT POPCORN, YOUR HOT DOG, YOUR FRENCH FRIES, and FREAKING GIANT COKE DOWN so that you could STAND UP YOURSELF, LADY!!!!!!!!

AND DON'T CRUNCH THE POPCORN DURING THE BALLAD!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dr.Mickey

For example the guy sitting next to me in 640 Friday night yelling at people to sit down in front of him, but spent 1/2 the night checking his facebook on his phone. Is it impossible for people to leave their phones off for just a few hours at least until intermission? Or the lady behind me who asked me to sit back in my seat because she couldn't see, but the 4 people in front of me were doing the same thing. How do you police that?

I stood most of the evening behind the 100s section near the 50 (until a policeman came by *right* before BD!). This was an area right behind the handicapped seating area, which included several older folks in wheelchairs and their spouses. And this was also the area where staffs came up to view their corps, assuming they didn't want to sit down low where there were seats for them.

There were a few older folks that were getting increasingly annoyed that the staffs were yelling right behind them. I love to watch staffs on finals night and see their unabashed joy in what their pupils have accomplished, but apparently the older folks don't... :) Especially when Cavies, Cadets, and Crown were up. One lady drove her wheelchair into a Crown staff who was going apestuff at the end of the Crown show - luckily he was too jazzed to care.

I'm not old, or not *that* old :), to understand this perspective, and I hope it's not a perspective I ever share...

I stood most of the evening behind the 100s section near the 50 (until a policeman came by *right* before BD!). This was an area right behind the handicapped seating area, which included several older folks in wheelchairs and their spouses. And this was also the area where staffs came up to view their corps, assuming they didn't want to sit down low where there were seats for them.

There were a few older folks that were getting increasingly annoyed that the staffs were yelling right behind them. I love to watch staffs on finals night and see their unabashed joy in what their pupils have accomplished, but apparently the older folks don't... :) Especially when Cavies, Cadets, and Crown were up. One lady drove her wheelchair into a Crown staff who was going apestuff at the end of the Crown show - luckily he was too jazzed to care.

I'm not old, or not *that* old :), to understand this perspective, and I hope it's not a perspective I ever share...

Before quarterfinals, Dan Acheson came up to that area and asked those of us in the first rows of 240 (directly in back of the 50 yd line handicap section) if it would be OK for staff to stand against the wall in the back of the handicapped area. We were all fine with staff. However, during quarters and semis - more and more people who had no tickets for section 140 or business being in that area were congregating and standing in the handicap area blocking our view, at some points 4-5 people deep. Eventually, it was so full, staff couldn't get in. I personnally spoke to Dan about this after the Friends of DCI breakfast Staurday morning. During finals, Event Staff came through after every corps and told people to leave.

I was seated in the first row of 240 and you must have been one of the people who were told repeatedly by the "Event Staff" to leave the section and didn't or waited for the Event Staff to leave and come right back. The policeman was absolutey right - there are no seats against the wall, leave the section. Those of us in the first row had only one vocal reaction to the arrival of the police before BD - WHERE WERE YOU 11 CORPS AGO!

I am amazed you are so proud of the disrespect you showed to those who paid to be in those sections, to the event staff and especially to the handicapped.

stand. and if someone around me decides to act like an ########, game on, i can out ######## any of them