TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

1. Chairs didn't really give BD a break in the show. The only thing it did was add variety, I loved them.

2. I love BD's capes.

3. Crown, as much as I wanted you to win, I didn't. BD deserved this one. But you did deserve a higher score.

4. I love the synths, other than the fact it's a cheat for the brassline. But the way BD used it? I love it. I also love how Glassmen used it in their drum solo.

5. The lower corps on the DVD better have better filming than the past few years.

6. People look for any reason to hate on BD

7. Brassline, you can let your tone spread more at impacts, so long as it's uniform. Otherwise it sounds horrible.

8. It wasn't crown that got everyone sick. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of the country is getting the flu. And in a drum corps environment it's VERY easy for it to spread from person to person.

9. Drum Corps is not over. It's still freaking drum corps. Things change, some people can't accept that. For example, mankind has changed a LOT. But we are still people, aren't we?

10. At one of the shows in Ohio, SCV, Crown, and Cadets (I think that's the three) all finished with a .1 spread. That got me excited. EDIT: It wasn't centerville, but that's probably where I was when I read it. don't know where it was

Edited by Noname

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. People look for any reason to hate on BD

Shucks. What makes you say that?

:thumbs-up:

10.) This judging business needs an overhaul, it's begun to happen, but will probably have to wait until all the judges who marched back in the park n' blow era of the 70s and 80s have retired. Crown and SCV are going to lead the charge into the new era of brass playing and show design. Loud is not always good folks, dynamics do exist in music, and this is marching MUSIC's major league, so musicianship needs to be the big part

Explain? For instance, SCV's show (although a tear jerker for vets and a nice nostalgic memory for all of us...a great show) was not exactly cutting edge or "new" in any way. Now, if you are hoping for a return to the past (as so many are on DCP) then you are correct. I would have thought that "new era" (like it or hate it) and BD would have been in the same sentence.

You are correct about different era's especially since those guards were under the tick system. They were definitely trained for a much more military type precession than they are today which is one of the main reasons why I believe the demand today is so much harder. Corps of yesteryear wouldn't attempt the complexity of the work done today because they would be torn up by the judges in that old tick system.

Dude, you dont know what you are talking about.....gotta remember though, I keep forgetting, this is just a forum for opinions....keep yours, you are allowed.

G

true....to play devil's advocate, corps of today wouldn't attempt the precision of the work done yesteryear, because they would flat out look like crap trying it...

more physical does not = harder.

horn's and drums don't get a pass on precision...why should guards?

Thank you, and im done. You said it .

G

Explain? For instance, SCV's show (although a tear jerker for vets and a nice nostalgic memory for all of us...a great show) was not exactly cutting edge or "new" in any way. Now, if you are hoping for a return to the past (as so many are on DCP) then you are correct. I would have thought that "new era" (like it or hate it) and BD would have been in the same sentence.

What I think (and dare to say) Is that people pushing the "BD is the great innovator in modern dci" argument are hilarious. I would explain myself, but i'm sure there are hundreds that could do it for me...

What I was speaking of was a change in the way brass playing is done, where it's no longer, "LOUD CHORD!!!!!" and "DRUM CORPS MOMENT!!!!!" the entire show. I believe SCV and Crown are going to shift brass playing to more dynamic driven music, with subtlety, where musicality is stressed more than just volume. The last BD show I saw, the dynamics were loud, backfield, and solis with only one section playing.

Dude, you dont know what you are talking about.....gotta remember though, I keep forgetting, this is just a forum for opinions....keep yours, you are allowed.

G

G, thanks G I appreciate your allowing me to have my opinion. :cool:

What I think (and dare to say) Is that people pushing the "BD is the great innovator in modern dci" argument are hilarious. I would explain myself, but i'm sure there are hundreds that could do it for me...

Well that's certainly an easy way out.

What I was speaking of was a change in the way brass playing is done, where it's no longer, "LOUD CHORD!!!!!" and "DRUM CORPS MOMENT!!!!!" the entire show. I believe SCV and Crown are going to shift brass playing to more dynamic driven music, with subtlety, where musicality is stressed more than just volume. The last BD show I saw, the dynamics were loud, backfield, and solis with only one section playing.

Did you see it live?