TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with that but I don't see how the blue devils clapping this year wasn't genuine just because they knew they were going to win.

The thread topic is TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say...

On a serious note, I have NO idea. I wasn't there... I don't know if it was genuine or not... Hope you feel better now that my joke is out of the way...

That's a huge understatement.

Ridiculous dancing/prancing/emoting are the norm now and have replaced most real flag and rifle work. Boy, I wonder what guard members of those great 70's/80's guards think when they see the "Ballet Guards" of today?..........

Let's see you try it.

I'm a baritone player, and generally don't even watch color guards in shows, but what I do see looks so incredibly challenging. There's still plenty of flag and riflework, along with the dancing. They still have the same technical skill as back then (I think...I wasn't even alive back then so I can't really give much expertise on that time period), and even though a smaller amount of the work is actually in the shows, the addition of dancing still adds yet another skill that has to be mastered, and it's hard too.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's easy.

Of course, I could be reading your post wrong, but the impression I got was that you're belittling the work of current color guards, which I think is just wrong. They work just as hard and for just as long as you did 'back in the day"

Let's see you try it.

I'm a baritone player, and generally don't even watch color guards in shows, but what I do see looks so incredibly challenging. There's still plenty of flag and riflework, along with the dancing. They still have the same technical skill as back then (I think...I wasn't even alive back then so I can't really give much expertise on that time period), and even though a smaller amount of the work is actually in the shows, the addition of dancing still adds yet another skill that has to be mastered, and it's hard too.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's easy.

Of course, I could be reading your post wrong, but the impression I got was that you're belittling the work of current color guards, which I think is just wrong. They work just as hard and for just as long as you did 'back in the day"

the problem is....they don't do much unison work anymore just to remain safe. Can today's guards do some of the unison stuff 27 did back in the late 70's? probably...

but it's just not done..."apparent ad lib" guard work is much safer, and harder to visually disturb...

I'm a so called "legacy" guy myself....but....while there are some very valid arguments about music....brass, percussion etc from "bitd" to today, there is no comparison in difficulty level from today to yesteryear when it comes to color guard. What is done today is so much harder than what was done "bitd". Anyone who says what was done back then was better or harder just doesn't get it. Must of the people who make this argument are non guard folks who couldn't decipher the difference anyway. Yes the shows are different but just go back and watch what the Cadets guard did in like 84. Sorry, but it was so easy in comparison to what BD (or others) did this year it isn't even on the same map. It is like comparing The Boston Red Sox to your local high school team.

Edited by bmroth1

I'm a so called "legacy" guy myself....but....while there are some very valid arguments about music....brass, percussion etc from "bitd" to today, there is no comparison in difficulty level from today to yesteryear when it comes to color guard. What is done today is so much harder than what was done "bitd" anyone who says what was done back then was better or harder just doesn't get it. Must of the people who make this argument are non guard folks who couldn't decipher the difference anyway. Yes the shows are different but just go back and watch what the Cadets guard did in like 84. Sorry, but it was so easy in comparison to what BD (or others) did this year it isn't even on the same map. It is like comparing The Boston Red Sox to your local high school team.

Or just compare 2009 Cadets' Guardwork to 2009 Blue Devils Guard Work. Or... even Blue Devils Guard Work in 2009 compared to say 2003 or 1999.

Or just compare 2009 Cadets' Guardwork to 2009 Blue Devils Guard Work. Or... even Blue Devils Guard Work in 2009 compared to say 2003 or 1999.

Well, I'll stay away from that one. :thumbs-up: ..... I'm just making the today versus yesteryear argument.

That's a huge understatement.

Ridiculous dancing/prancing/emoting are the norm now and have replaced most real flag and rifle work. Boy, I wonder what guard members of those great 70's/80's guards think when they see the "Ballet Guards" of today?..........

I, for one, enjoy them quite a bit. It's a very different kind of writing from what was done 30ish years ago, but it's no more "ridiculous" than anything done BITD.

I don't think I go along with the "guardwork is more difficult now then yesteryear". different? very much so...harder? I guess it depends on what your definition of harder is.

Today's guardwork is definitely more physical...way more physical.

Yesteryear's guardwork was definitely more precise...way, way, way more precise

I see top guards all the time now trying to do synchronous flag spins, and they fail miserably.

If you asked color guards today to do a color guard show like the top corps from the late 70's, they couldn't do it, just like a 70's guard couldn't do a new show. They were all trained in a different way.

It's kinda like trying to compare Albert Pujols to Lou Gehrig...which one is better?

different eras...different training...

I'm a so called "legacy" guy myself....but....while there are some very valid arguments about music....brass, percussion etc from "bitd" to today, there is no comparison in difficulty level from today to yesteryear when it comes to color guard. What is done today is so much harder than what was done "bitd". Anyone who says what was done back then was better or harder just doesn't get it. Must of the people who make this argument are non guard folks who couldn't decipher the difference anyway. Yes the shows are different but just go back and watch what the Cadets guard did in like 84. Sorry, but it was so easy in comparison to what BD (or others) did this year it isn't even on the same map. It is like comparing The Boston Red Sox to your local high school team.

Dude, you have no class or concept of respect. Picking Blue Devils to back your argument doesnt validate it because there are more guards out there today that lack technique, clarity, definition in vocabulary and proper phrasing, let alonf cant get their dancing in sync.

G