Corps of the Decade  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be 2000's corps of the decade

• Cadets
    • Cavaliers
    • Blue Devils
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard

I only liked 2 of their 10 shows, but it has to be the Cavaliers. I don't understand how anyone could justify not voting for them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Cavs, mainly for their design over the championships. 2000 was a tie where I felt the Cadets show was superior, and in 2006 Phantom was clearly top dog in my view.

I'm hoping next year it'll be a Vanguard decade, especially if we get more shows like 2004 and 2009.

Bump

For me, this was not merely a question of outcomes (i.e. # of Championships won) but of process (i.e. amount of growth in the decade).

From this framework, a vote for Carolina Crown is definitely appropriate. In 1999 if you had said that Carolina Crown would score 97.5 and beat out the Cadets, SCV, and Cavaliers in 2009, I think people might stare at you as if you had 14 heads.

#11 to #2 - I think with a resume like that, perhaps the question should be How is Carolina Crown NOT the Junior Corps of the decade?

To all of Carolina Crown Frowners, I'm not saying that an argument for any of the other Corps can't be made that they are the Junior Corps of the decade, I'm just responding to the "How in the hell can anyone think that Crown is the Corps of the decade" (my paraphrasing) that I have read.

Cavaliers, no question.

For me, this was not merely a question of outcomes (i.e. # of Championships won) but of process (i.e. amount of growth in the decade).

From this framework, a vote for Carolina Crown is definitely appropriate. In 1999 if you had said that Carolina Crown would score 97.5 and beat out the Cadets, SCV, and Cavaliers in 2009, I think people might stare at you as if you had 14 heads.

these are definitely legitimate reasons for voting for Crown, IMO.

Edited by soccerguy315

I dare anyone who voted for Crown to defend their selection, over not just the big three of the Cavaliers, Cadets and Blue Devils but even over Phantom. If it continues that Crown has more votes than the combined total for Vanguard, Phantom and the Cadets then it's the best evidence yet for keeping fan voting out of the final score.

here ya go...

#11 to #2 - I think with a resume like that, perhaps the question should be How is Carolina Crown NOT the Junior Corps of the decade?

To all of Carolina Crown Frowners, I'm not saying that an argument for any of the other Corps can't be made that they are the Junior Corps of the decade, I'm just responding to the "How in the hell can anyone think that Crown is the Corps of the decade" (my paraphrasing) that I have read.

Cavies. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Every decade, the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame votes on it's Corps of the Decade.

Past winners are:

1940's: Holy Name Cadets

1950's: St. Vincent Cadets

1960's: Chicago Cavaliers

1970's: Santa Clara Vanguard

1980's: Blue Devils

1990's: Cadets of Bergen County

I've also included Crown and Vanguard even though neither have won a championship this decade just because they've still put out quality shows.

I don't think I can take the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame seriously if it doesn't have the Cadets as the corps of the 1980s. Cadets won 4 titles in the 80s, as compared to Blue Devils' 3, SCV's 2, and Madison's 1. They also had the first threepeat and revolutionized the activity.

On the flip side, I don't see how the Blue Devils are not the corps of the 1990s. They won 4 titles compared to Cadets' 3, Cavaliers' 2, and Star, PR, and SCV with one. They likewise caused a paradigm shift for the activity heading into the late 1990s.

Those two decades are completely reversed.

That being said, I don't see how the Cavaliers can NOT be the corps of the 2000s. 5 titles and a completely different mindset toward the designing of a show.

Cavaliers, for sure. Though they were losing that edge towards the end.

At the rate crown is building up though, they could be looking at this next time around.

Then you must have been the guy who picked BD as the corps of the 80s and Cadets for the 90s corps.

Perhaps this season's most profound lesson is how difficult it is to remain at the top. Phantom is one of the great drum corps brands. And coming off a championship season in which it received near universal acclaim (not at all like BD this year or in 2007), it seemed a cinch for a return to the top three if not the gold medal itself. Not quite, right? That Cavies could win three in a row and five of seven years is a testament to a kind of greatness that so far is incomparable in DCI.

Crown achieved greatness in this decade. That's a fact. But so have others. You might have made the argument after last year that Phantom achieved something similar. Phantom fell to near irrelevance in 98 and 99 (eighth place both years) before mounting a climb through the decade that culiminated with five straight top five appearance, including the top prize in 2008. The argument you make for Crown seems to me more valid for Phantom.

Had there been no corps with more than two wins in the 10 years then I might taken your view and rewarded the climb. Instead, we have five victories in 10 tries and no geniune reason not to give the title to Cavies, who deserve it.

HH