What's wrong with DCA?

Wow, complaining about spending $20.00 that goes to support a worthwhile activity. Doesn't make sense to me.

It would be great if it was free, obviously it can't be, but $20 is chump change these days.

I recently stopped at a Maryland House and my wife asked for a chai latte and I thought I'd get a cup of coffee, too. It was almost $9.00! for two friggin drinks. THAT is obscene, but people pay those prices and don't bat an eye and the prices aren't that high because the workers are getting any great benefit from the high prices.

There is a real screwed up perception of value in the world, sometimes.

Two cups of hot liquid are not worth nine dollars...anywhere, but surely, hundreds and hundreds of individuals, that have paid much more themselves, for the privilege busting their chops to entertain you for a few hours, is worth a 20 measly bucks. Yes?

...and I think Starbucks coffee sucks so bad, I feel I was doubly ripped off!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replying to the Question........"What's Wrong with DCA".....I say ....NOTHING. :doh:

If you peruse through the pages..........this thread has been Hyjacked (as are many others) as a segue to introduce another topic, un-related history, etc, etc,.....( ya ...I'm guilty too). It was a simple question.........was it answered...? Just sayin..........

Edited by melligene

Wow, complaining about spending $20.00 that goes to support a worthwhile activity. Doesn't make sense to me.

It would be great if it was free, obviously it can't be, but $20 is chump change these days.

I recently stopped at a Maryland House and my wife asked for a chai latte and I thought I'd get a cup of coffee, too. It was almost $9.00! for two friggin drinks. THAT is obscene, but people pay those prices and don't bat an eye and the prices aren't that high because the workers are getting any great benefit from the high prices.

Two cups of hot liquid are not worth nine dollars...anywhere, but surely, hundreds and hundreds of individuals, that have paid much more themselves, for the privilege busting their chops to entertain you for a few hours, is worth a 20 measly bucks. Yes?

Marty, calm down! Ease up on the caffeine buddy.

Good points Marty....but,.......have you ever considered the nights away from the family.......the weekends away from the family.......the training, the stress, learning new updated charts, drill, etc.....that is necessary to pour a coup of Coffee...????? .......and you only paid 9 Bucks...? :doh:

Seriously........I've paid that amount....plus gas.......plus a hotel room.......(and then there's Beer) etc.

Bottom Line.........?? If it's what you enjoy.............(hunting, fishing....blah, blah) It's worth the price.

Edited by melligene

Marty, calm down! Ease up on the caffeine buddy.

Recently an Irish Dance studio moved in, next door to where I work. It's pure torture. Constant stomping and fiddle music...all day long, over and over and over and over and over and over...boom boom boom boom de de boom boom...

I CAN'T STAND IT, I TELL YOU, I CAN'T STAND IT!

sorry, I haven't been myself since they moved in.

...and I think they're after me Lucky Charms! shhhhh

There's a club in Tampa called Mons Venus where you bring your own bottle and pay a cover fee at the door and.........................

Oh wait, this is a family forum..........

Never mind.

:doh:

Shadowtron...........

You've had lots of responses, from a few very informed people but I'd still like to add my 2 cents (or $20 bucks) worth.

Stands were full, great lineup, $20 reasonable, but even if not, I believe the USA works on the capitalist system......if you charge $20 and they will come........great! If you charge $20 and they don't come, you need to do some work. If you don't have the corps lineup to support $20, you probably can't charge that much.

Running a DCA corps with limited contest revenue and sponsorship is not easy. Sure they don't travel like DCI, but they also use buses most weekends, have equipment trucks, musical equipment etc. etc. So they have to get a reasonable performance fee, or they can't go. The people running the contest (not to be confused with DCA who 'sanction' the contest) need enough revenue to cover judges expenses and these performance fees. It is what it is, so the price is set accordingly. In this case a charity is also involved and maybe this could have been high lighted more obviously if you didn't notice it, but some exta scheckles for charity is always a good thing.

Not sure the 'age' of the audience is of as much concern as some would think. I recently aged out of DCA and now sit in the stands. I'm sure there will be a steady stream of people like me to keep at least some of the seats full......but I agree anything to help bring younger people into the seats is good and perhaps DCA marketing could look at this and help the people running the shows somehow.

Oh, and I'm a seasons ticket holder for Toronto Blue Jays (keep the chuckles to a minimum please....we are stuck with poor management.....and there's always '92-93'!!). Yes there are seats for under $20, but only if you have an oxygen mask and seat belt. My seats are $54 for a couple of hours entertainment (again, no chuckles please) and most are in the $30-$50 range.

I think DCA (growing in attendance and number of corps in comparison with DCI, losing attendance), is doing a pretty good job of offering a quality product to a limited fan base. Drum corps will never be a high exposure, general audience activity. It is an art form unto itself, and hence a niche market at best. Show organizers only run events to bring drum corps to their area of the country and perhaps support a local corps. I expect most do it just for the love of the activity. I'm sure none of them do it to make bags of money.

So, my bottom line.......$20 is fine if you can get it, and I'd pay it for that kind of show lineup!!

Good points Marty....but,.......have you ever considered the nights away from the family.......the weekends away from the family.......the training, the stress, learning new updated charts, drill, etc.....that is necessary to pour a coup of Coffee...????? .......and you only paid 9 Bucks...? :doh:

Seriously........I've paid that amount....plus gas.......plus a hotel room.......(and then there's Beer) etc.

Bottom Line.........?? If it's what you enjoy.............(hunting, fishing....blah, blah) It's worth the price.

nights and weekends away from the family? I'd pay 20 bucks for that!

:doh:

As Tom, Jeff and a few others have pointed out, the proceeds of the Kingston show go to "Benefit the Children's Home of Kingston," an extremely worthy cause.

When you consider the costs that must to be involved in hosting a DCA-sanctioned show (and I confess I don't know specifics, but it has to be monumental), and still have a 'profit' left over to benefit a charity, I think $20 is not only a good deal, but a bargain. Under the circumstances, $25 might even be reasonable, and perhaps the charitable cause for which the show is held needs to be emphasized more.

I decided to look at the Children's Home of Kingston website the day before the show. It turns out the man in charge, Dr. John Carr, is a drum corps veteran -- a member of the Hawthorne Muchachos from 1968 to '78 -- hence, part of the reason to host a drum corps show as a potential fund raiser. After paying all the bills to run the show I wonder just how much Dr. Carr was able to raise for his Home. I'm guessing it's not a huge amount. Whatever it was, I think the crowd still got a bargain: six competing corps, three exhibitions, full retreat (a rarity nowadays) and all for a worthy cause.

And as far as the 'poor' quality of the corps, I also vehemently disagree. I have been to plenty of band shows in the NJ, NYC and LI vicinity, and with no disrespect to the hard-working high school kids and their band instructors, give me a DCA show any day.

Kingston had a decent crowd, stands prob 75% filled. I have seen the stadium more full...a sign of the times, I guess. Maybe the ticket price too. I say this b/c it hit home a little. Let me say first that I would pay that and find it WELL worth the price given what you get for the $. That said, I didn't have to pay as my family and I were in an exhibition corps that night.

It hit home as my brother was supposed to come with his family and bagged out when he heard about the price of admission. I believe another poster had mentioned that some of the show sponsors offer child prices. I'd highly recommend that for all shows. It would have cost my bro $80 for him, his wife and 2 kids. He was in drum corps when we were younger but has never followed the competitve side other than coming to a few shows that I was in. There was a chance to grab and make more fans (my nephew has been a percussionist for a year or two now). What I suggest is play the psychological game and charge $19 ("under $20") and offer a discounted rate for kids, say $10. Of course, 10 years ago, those stands were packed and I don't believe they had to do that. Maybe now's a good time to make that concession.

Me, I go to Kingston every year in one form or another (performer or spectator) and enjoy it very much. Great venue and I see many people I've met throughout the years in this great activity. With close to four hours of entertainment, $20 is a bargain, IMO. Add to that the great cause that is the Children's Home of Kingston, it's no question.