What's wrong with DCA?

I was thinking that too.....the sponsor sets the price.

Hey the stands were packed and everyone enjoyed it, what's the problem? What did you want lingerie-clad women serving drinks and giving you a massage?

<writing that down>

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it really doesn't.

Price it out. Where are these people going instead that $20/person is exorbitant? Or even anything other than entirely reasonable?

Well, young and old, its all good. I think its cool that we've been able to retain fans for decades and they keep coming back.

Personally, I think $20 for a drum corps event with 9 corps in it is a steal. Early in July, I paid $120 a seat to see Lynyrd Skynyrd (great show by the way, I'm going again in October). On October 3, the Devils open their season against the Philadephia Flyers. I will pay $250 for a lower-level, center ice ticket. Yes, $250 for a hockey game is utterly ridiculous, I understand that. I'm just trying to put it all in context. $20 for a 2 hour+ live music event is stunningly low.

And remember, drum corps shows are run by sponsors for only one reason. To make money. They don't do it to make our corps happy. If sponsors can't come out ahead, they will bolt and do something else. And I very much appreciate it that sponsors stick with us. This is why I have never flashed a pass or high-fived someone at the back gate to get into any show I wasn't assigned to be at. Always bought a ticket. Support the sponsors people!

The price of anything is going to be deemed very high to someone. Doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs.

Glen

P.S. I think I need to post 11 more messages to hit 100. And it only took me what, 7 years? Gee, this is fun :)

I find the dislike of older folks attending Drum Corps Shows disturbing. Drum Corps is not just for kids.

Our Society is becoming intolerant of the young, below 14 and the old above 60 and I think it's sad.

Who ever said that in this thread? I said it's going to be tough to retain them as years go on.

Looks like DCA will remain hardcore DCA types performing for hardcore DCA types, in an organization run by hardcore DCA types. I guess that's okay, but I don't think you're going to grow very much looking at only one segment of the music-loving population. Maybe it's your goal to stay a tiny niche within a niche activity? I don't know. If you're happy with that, fine.

I thought the issue was settled that it's the hosting corps that decides prices (corps = sponsor) but recent posts make me think otherwise, and I'm still not really sure who is in control here. Of the corps, of DCA, everything.

I don't think saying "well you can't make everyone happy" or "how are we supposed to make money?" is the right way to respond to an issue that arises either, and there are other ways to raise a ton of money for a childrens home at a show.

You're comparing Paul McCartney and some huge ticket events to an average 6-corps DCA program. Of course these events are ridiculous as people actually care for those events.

Edited by Shadowtron

I thought the issue was settled that it's the hosting corps that decides prices (corps = sponsor) but recent posts make me think otherwise, and I'm still not really sure who is in control here. Of the corps, of DCA, everything.

Someone can correct me but as far as control:

prices and paying the bills for putting on the show - sponsor (in this case the hospital, not a corps)

suppling judges and making sure this is a aprroved DCA show - DCA

not sure what the difference is in the DCI World, maybe someone can fill in....

As for DCI. my understanding was most of the crowd is made up of Alumni, parants, family members and potential members. Sounds lot like DCA crowds except less parents in the mix.

This is becoming a very self serving thread where feedback (even in a private forum from the DCA offices) is either ignored or dismissed for the sake of perpetuating one point of view. The more times the OP posts (and returns the thread to the 'front page') the more times it becomes apparent that the intent is to disparage and criticize rather than provide constructive feedback or gain a fresh understanding.

To continue to declare an organization that oversees 48 competitive units and has 44 years in perpetuity incompetent or near sighted, especially given the evidence ('the stands were packed'), customer focused follow up (which demonstrates dca's commitment to entertainment, customer experience and follow through, and came from the dca office and even offered a personal invitation to a future event) and support from the community (a sincere discussion that, perhaps, mitigates the OP's opinion or provides fresh perspective) means that the OP is not dealing in good faith.

The title of the thread is inappropriate to any positive discussion.

The continuous return to "square one" rather than incorporating new evidence is not conducive to a productive dialogue.

And the assertion that the thread wasn't meant to stir the pot, given the OPs continued harangue, is insincere.

A pound of flesh for $20? I don't think so.

Edited by wishbonecav

This is becoming a very self serving thread where feedback (even in a private forum from the DCA offices) is either ignored or dismissed for the sake of perpetuating one point of view. The more times the OP posts (and returns the thread to the 'front page') the more times it becomes apparent that the intent is to disparage and criticize rather than provide constructive feedback or gain a fresh understanding.

To continue to declare an organization that oversees 48 competitive units and has 44 years in perpetuity incompetent or near sighted, especially given the evidence ('the stands were packed'), customer focused follow up (which demonstrates dca's commitment to entertainment, customer experience and follow through, came from the dca office and even offered a personal invitation to a future event) and support from the community (a sincere discussion that, perhaps, mitigates the OP's opinion or provides fresh perspective) means that the OP is not dealing in good faith.

The continuous return to "square one" rather than incorporating new evidence is not conducive to a productive dialogue.

And the assertion that the thread wasn't meant to stir the pot, given the OPs continued harangue, is insincere.

I got the feedback and asked questions off of that. People tell me sponsors are in control and corps are in control. Which one is it? This discussion was created to see how we can expand DCA to be more fan friendly, group friendly because I don't think it can last like this for very long. What about that offended you? Do you really think I want DCA to fail? No! It's great to have an all-age organization.

Stop trying to derail this thread into a flame battle. None of that is going on here.

To continue to declare an organization that oversees 48 competitive units and has 44 years in perpetuity incompetent or near sighted, especially given the evidence ('the stands were packed'), customer focused follow up (which demonstrates dca's commitment to entertainment, customer experience and follow through, and came from the dca office and even offered a personal invitation to a future event) and support from the community (a sincere discussion that, perhaps, mitigates the OP's opinion or provides fresh perspective) means that the OP is not dealing in good faith.

PS -- I read other experiences from people at different shows and it looked like they had a good time. I mentioned this may be a Kingston-specific problem and looking at the DCA website it seems that every other show offers more corps for a better value, and they actually have websites for many of the shows!

DCI.org standardizes a lot of the stuff on their schedule in an easy format so you know what's going on, maybe the DCA website needs some work?

These aren't huge, earth-shattering issues here, and it feels like the DCA management types who chimed in on this thread are only making things worse.

Edited by Shadowtron

I got the feedback and asked questions off of that. People tell me sponsors are in control and corps are in control. Which one is it?

Perhaps a simplification is in order here....

A sponsor contacts DCA. That sponsor works with DCA vis a vis a show date and a lineup. DCA then works with the corps to see who's available and who wants to participate. That sponsor then sends a check to DCA. I would assume that if I want a ten-corps show, with no Class A's, then it'll cost me somewhat more. In any case, DCA, in turn, sends a package of corps and judges to a show.

DCA has been paid.

Now, it's up to the sponsor to set ticket prices at a level that it (the sponsor) wishes. If a sponsor wants to make money on the deal, it'll set ticket prices a little higher; if it merely wants to recoup expenses, the prices will be set a little lower. If the sponsor is some rich old dude with nothing better to do with his money, he can set the admission price at zero if he wishes.

What could be simpler!?!?!?

PS -- I read other experiences from people at different shows and it looked like they had a good time. I mentioned this may be a Kingston-specific problem and looking at the DCA website it seems that every other show offers more corps for a better value, and they actually have websites for many of the shows!

DCI.org standardizes a lot of the stuff on their schedule in an easy format so you know what's going on, maybe the DCA website needs some work?

These aren't huge, earth-shattering issues here, and it feels like the DCA management types who chimed in on this thread are only making things worse.

Nah, its all good. I think what you're saying is that based on your experience at the Kingston show, you feel that the fan base is older and that $20 is a lot of money for a drum corps show, at least that's how I read it. You're entitled to that, and we appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Glen

Edited by Glen

Perhaps a simplification is in order here....

A sponsor contacts DCA. That sponsor works with DCA vis a vis a show date and a lineup. DCA then works with the corps to see who's available and who wants to participate. That sponsor then sends a check to DCA. I would assume that if I want a ten-corps show, with no Class A's, then it'll cost me somewhat more. In any case, DCA, in turn, sends a package of corps and judges to a show.

DCA has been paid.

Now, it's up to the sponsor to set ticket prices at a level that it (the sponsor) wishes. If a sponsor wants to make money on the deal, it'll set ticket prices a little higher; if it merely wants to recoup expenses, the prices will be set a little lower. If the sponsor is some rich old dude with nothing better to do with his money, he can set the admission price at zero if he wishes.

What could be simpler!?!?!?

That does makes sense, my question is...does the term sponsor mean "The Brigadiers", "The Caballeros", "Jolesch", or "Yamaha"????

lol, thanks for the answer but we're looking at two different things :cool: