What's wrong with DCA?

Recently an Irish Dance studio moved in, next door to where I work. It's pure torture. Constant stomping and fiddle music...all day long, over and over and over and over and over and over...boom boom boom boom de de boom boom...

I CAN'T STAND IT, I TELL YOU, I CAN'T STAND IT!

sorry, I haven't been myself since they moved in.

...and I think they're after me Lucky Charms! shhhhh

Think of it as watching Riverdance on a loop.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$20 a head for 6 live performing musical groups and the entertainment of the whole event actually seems fairly reasonable to me. I havent been to a DCI show in years for less than that as long as youre comparing the two. Take your same family to a movie some weekend, unless youre going in daylight youre paying pretty close to that and get none of the attendant fun. Go to any live music event and Id be surprised if it was less than $20. Go to a tractor pull and you will spend more than that.

Im only a DCA person for about 7 years now but it seems to me the loyals fans are DCA fans. In DCI youre going to the show because junior is in the corps or juniors band director recommended it, but chances are you won't attend another show once your connection is no longer involved. DCI fans used to be the same as DCA but slowly there getting pushed out by the changes.

Id be interested in knowing how many DCA marchers have junior corps experience because to me its those folks who do it for the sheer love of it.

FWIW, Kilties Home Show this weekend costs $10 per head with kids free.

Edited by Scerpella

Hey Gord!!! How ya doin' my friend.

Blue Jays, heh? I went to a Brewers vrs. Blue Jays game many, many years ago. Both teams were just terrible.

My buddy and I decided it was going to be a low scoring, boring, uneventful game, so we decided to have a beer every inning and a beer for every score; no big deal.

#### game went 11 innings and was 13 to 10. We had to be carried out.....it sure was a good time (I think?) :doh:

Shadowtron...........

You've had lots of responses, from a few very informed people but I'd still like to add my 2 cents (or $20 bucks) worth.

Stands were full, great lineup, $20 reasonable, but even if not, I believe the USA works on the capitalist system......if you charge $20 and they will come........great! If you charge $20 and they don't come, you need to do some work. If you don't have the corps lineup to support $20, you probably can't charge that much.

Running a DCA corps with limited contest revenue and sponsorship is not easy. Sure they don't travel like DCI, but they also use buses most weekends, have equipment trucks, musical equipment etc. etc. So they have to get a reasonable performance fee, or they can't go. The people running the contest (not to be confused with DCA who 'sanction' the contest) need enough revenue to cover judges expenses and these performance fees. It is what it is, so the price is set accordingly. In this case a charity is also involved and maybe this could have been high lighted more obviously if you didn't notice it, but some exta scheckles for charity is always a good thing.

Not sure the 'age' of the audience is of as much concern as some would think. I recently aged out of DCA and now sit in the stands. I'm sure there will be a steady stream of people like me to keep at least some of the seats full......but I agree anything to help bring younger people into the seats is good and perhaps DCA marketing could look at this and help the people running the shows somehow.

Oh, and I'm a seasons ticket holder for Toronto Blue Jays (keep the chuckles to a minimum please....we are stuck with poor management.....and there's always '92-93'!!). Yes there are seats for under $20, but only if you have an oxygen mask and seat belt. My seats are $54 for a couple of hours entertainment (again, no chuckles please) and most are in the $30-$50 range.

I think DCA (growing in attendance and number of corps in comparison with DCI, losing attendance), is doing a pretty good job of offering a quality product to a limited fan base. Drum corps will never be a high exposure, general audience activity. It is an art form unto itself, and hence a niche market at best. Show organizers only run events to bring drum corps to their area of the country and perhaps support a local corps. I expect most do it just for the love of the activity. I'm sure none of them do it to make bags of money.

So, my bottom line.......$20 is fine if you can get it, and I'd pay it for that kind of show lineup!!

Shadowtron...........

You've had lots of responses, from a few very informed people but I'd still like to add my 2 cents (or $20 bucks) worth.

Stands were full, great lineup, $20 reasonable, but even if not, I believe the USA works on the capitalist system......if you charge $20 and they will come........great! If you charge $20 and they don't come, you need to do some work. If you don't have the corps lineup to support $20, you probably can't charge that much.

Running a DCA corps with limited contest revenue and sponsorship is not easy. Sure they don't travel like DCI, but they also use buses most weekends, have equipment trucks, musical equipment etc. etc. So they have to get a reasonable performance fee, or they can't go. The people running the contest (not to be confused with DCA who 'sanction' the contest) need enough revenue to cover judges expenses and these performance fees. It is what it is, so the price is set accordingly. In this case a charity is also involved and maybe this could have been high lighted more obviously if you didn't notice it, but some exta scheckles for charity is always a good thing.

Not sure the 'age' of the audience is of as much concern as some would think. I recently aged out of DCA and now sit in the stands. I'm sure there will be a steady stream of people like me to keep at least some of the seats full......but I agree anything to help bring younger people into the seats is good and perhaps DCA marketing could look at this and help the people running the shows somehow.

Oh, and I'm a seasons ticket holder for Toronto Blue Jays (keep the chuckles to a minimum please....we are stuck with poor management.....and there's always '92-93'!!). Yes there are seats for under $20, but only if you have an oxygen mask and seat belt. My seats are $54 for a couple of hours entertainment (again, no chuckles please) and most are in the $30-$50 range.

I think DCA (growing in attendance and number of corps in comparison with DCI, losing attendance), is doing a pretty good job of offering a quality product to a limited fan base. Drum corps will never be a high exposure, general audience activity. It is an art form unto itself, and hence a niche market at best. Show organizers only run events to bring drum corps to their area of the country and perhaps support a local corps. I expect most do it just for the love of the activity. I'm sure none of them do it to make bags of money.

So, my bottom line.......$20 is fine if you can get it, and I'd pay it for that kind of show lineup!!

you had me til you mentioned the 93 Blue Jays :doh:

that reminds me...that alumni show announcer. now there's an issue :doh:

DCI offers a better price? Better product? I would tend to disagree on both fronts. The best seat in the house at DCI is well over $100 PER TICKET. As far as the product DCI offers, that 's why I'm going to DCA this year and hopefully next as well.

Dude, it was $14 a head to watch quarters in a theater, not to mention the highly over priced "snacks."

As far as this comment goes:

It doesn't make sense considering there are DCI and high school band shows that offer more excitement at a better price.

A more accurate statement would be:

there are DCI and high school bands that offer the same shows.
As it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell the two apart!

You're way off base here. (IMO

Edited by Rocketman

I agree that $20 is a little steep, but DCA is even more of niche market. Now, I will say that it is not $20 everywhere. I can only speak for the South, but tickets down here are more affordable, the crowds are energetic and the fans are diverse in age. I have seen several band programs show up with whole groups at these shows.

Now, I will admit that most of the fans know someone in the corps (family or friend) or are alumni, but the same thing can be true in DCI. We are niche activity... most of DCI's fans are the same. The difference comes from band programs knowing more about it and DCA has largely been big in the Northeast only. That is starting to change with the different regions opening up (Midwest, South, and the perhaps soon-to-be West). It is a process, but I cetainly think DCA is headed in the right direction.

Some shows have a discount for families. I do believe every Brig. show has this offer. As for the crowd reaction, sometimes crowds are just dead. I have seen amazing drum breaks making me, as a drummer, wanna jump to my feet and the crowd barely makes a peep.