What's wrong with DCA?

That does makes sense, my question is...does the term sponsor mean "The Brigadiers", "The Caballeros", "Jolesch", or "Yamaha"????

lol, thanks for the answer but we're looking at two different things :cool:

Yes :)

DCA does not set ticket prices for any contest other than the ones we run directly, which are Scranton PA, Lawrence MA, and the championships.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does makes sense, my question is...does the term sponsor mean "The Brigadiers", "The Caballeros", "Jolesch", or "Yamaha"????

Think of it as an organization that "hosts" a show ... this could be a corps (Bucs, Cabs, etc.) ... or ... a charity org (Barnum, Heart Assoc., etc.) ... or ... an independent promoter (Five Star Brass, Joe's Bar & Grill, etc.) ... the "host" contracts with the venue, concessions, volunteers, the DCA and the individual corps they would like to have compete ... as far as I know, many corps set their own performance fees - not DCA itself ... now, the "host" will recruit corporate sponsors (AJ Wright, Yamaha, Dynasty, local merchants, etc.) to help offset the cost of running the show - for the $$, the sponsors drape their signage ads across the backfield and in promotional material and flyers ... the more corporate sponsors the "host" organization entices to donate $$$, the cheaper the ticket price could potentially be ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

Which DCA shows did Jolesch or Yamaha sponsor this year? I seem to have missed those.

I know of a children's home that sponsored a show. I also know of a band parents association that sponsored a show. I even know that the Caballeros sponsored several shows. And the Brigadiers have apparently sponsored several as well. And even DCA (as has been pointed out) sponsored several shows.

I suppose we could play this game all day, but suddenly mowing my lawn seems to be the more productive activity.

I got the feedback and asked questions off of that. People tell me sponsors are in control and corps are in control.

See the Andys answered very well. In an earlier post I said that my corps had sponsored (yeah - hosted works better) a show which might have confused the issue. And for years a big early(?) show was the "Fresh Air Fanfare" in CT which helped support the Freash Air Fund.

Also back in the day corps could not compete as shows they sponsored (no idea why). In the 80s Westshore sold their home show to the Lions club. Then they could compete at the local show.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Simply put, "the sponsor" means the group or organization or person who puts up the money to run the show. Whether that's the hosting corps, an organization who contracts the hosting corps or some other hosting entity, or DCA itself, makes little difference.

Ultimately, the thing with the final say about show pricing is the thing that put money on the line for the show to exist in the first place.

I'm still waiting to find out what entertainment activity a drum corps show is being compared to that makes $20/person exorbitant.

I was thinking that too.....the sponsor sets the price.

Hey the stands were packed and everyone enjoyed it, what's the problem? What did you want lingerie-clad women serving drinks and giving you a massage? Stop complaining and cough up $20 and have fun!

hmm. A Reneguard fund raiser

Well, young and old, its all good. I think its cool that we've been able to retain fans for decades and they keep coming back.

Personally, I think $20 for a drum corps event with 9 corps in it is a steal. Early in July, I paid $120 a seat to see Lynyrd Skynyrd (great show by the way, I'm going again in October). On October 3, the Devils open their season against the Philadephia Flyers. I will pay $250 for a lower-level, center ice ticket. Yes, $250 for a hockey game is utterly ridiculous, I understand that. I'm just trying to put it all in context. $20 for a 2 hour+ live music event is stunningly low.

And remember, drum corps shows are run by sponsors for only one reason. To make money. They don't do it to make our corps happy. If sponsors can't come out ahead, they will bolt and do something else. And I very much appreciate it that sponsors stick with us. This is why I have never flashed a pass or high-fived someone at the back gate to get into any show I wasn't assigned to be at. Always bought a ticket. Support the sponsors people!

The price of anything is going to be deemed very high to someone. Doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs.

Glen

P.S. I think I need to post 11 more messages to hit 100. And it only took me what, 7 years? Gee, this is fun :)

slacker :cool:

I got the feedback and asked questions off of that. People tell me sponsors are in control and corps are in control. Which one is it? This discussion was created to see how we can expand DCA to be more fan friendly, group friendly because I don't think it can last like this for very long. What about that offended you? Do you really think I want DCA to fail? No! It's great to have an all-age organization.

Stop trying to derail this thread into a flame battle. None of that is going on here.

some corps are also show sponsors, but not every show is run by a corps.

this isnt DCi where you pay one fee to run a show, and they send you units judges etc. you say you want to run a show in DCA, they tell you what judging and admin costs are, you negotiate with the corps, and you do your advertising to draw bodies.

Kingston is a long time sponsor...and a great charity...that traditionally is one of the best attended stops on the DCA circuit. Those folks are great at getting the community involved. It's not DCA's job to tell them what to do. DCA will offer advice if asked, but the Kingston folks have it down pretty well. I'd go back if it were closer to home to be honest...thats what keeps me away. but it's a great show, enthusiastic crowd.

so ,no, nothings wrong with DCA. DCA 10 years ago had maybe 16 corps total. Now it's in the 20's. Finals attendance is higher than it's been in a long time. All Age corps keep popping up across the country...yet DCI keeps losing them.

so..I'd say DCA is doing a lot of rght. maybe not as much as some want, but slow and steady wins the race

It is late, and I just saw this thread, so that's my way of saying I haven't read every post. Therefore, I apologize in advance if any of my points had been mentioned already.

From my experience, the Kingston crowd has many local folks in attendance. They aren't avid followers of DCA, but they show up every year ready to cheer for what they like. Usually, they are partial to Statesmen, but they always give credit wherever it's due. And, it's always a packed house.

Is $20 a lot for a DCA show? Compared to most of the shows I have paid to get in, yeah, it's on the high side. (But, nothing compared to the YEA show in Westminster, MD.) DCI Pittsburgh was asking $17 per ticket this year (for an 8 corps show headlined by Cadets & Crown). The only reason we went was because I got comp tickets. (I'm on staff with the HS where the show is held.)

I was last there in 2007. We went to two shows that summer (Woodbridge, VA, was the other one), we went to two shows in 2008 (Manassas, VA, and Scranton) and two more this year (Jamestown and DCI Pittsburgh). At every one, we sat in the handicapped seating with the kids in a stroller. The Kingston show was the only one where we were charged a ticket for the stroller. So, it does seem to be more about the money there than most places we go.

But, I have to say it's just about my favorite venue to watch a drum corps show. (Yes, even when the bugs attacked us in 2004.)

I may have some quibbles with how shows are run, but in this day of drum corps scarcity, I give anyone willing to put on a DCA show a big ol' thumbs up.

One thing I have seen lately is the Family Ticket price the Brigs have offered at the shows they are sponsoring this year. $30 gets Mom & Dad and all the kids into General Admission. I'd patronize any show within my travel radius that gave that kind of deal.

How about refunds for viewers who don't like the corps' performances :thumbup: or DCA could charge the audience after the show so they can pay what they think is fair :thumbup: .

It's drum corps, man! If you want to see it, pay for it. If you don't agree with the price, don't go to the show. If you don't like the corps, go do something else.

:thumbup: