What's wrong with DCA?

Lets just say this, DCI is a junior program, an extension of high school and college marching bands, most of their music is unrecognizable, but very well played. The marching is not marching anymore, running, twirling its a grand show. I love Phantom and always have but...... DCA is an all age, people who can only practice and play mostly on weekends, open to anyone who can still play and move highly entertaining show also. More recognizable songs, marching that is somewhat closer to marching we are used to, not a lot of "theme" shows but performed by highly talented people who have a limited time to practice and perform. Some people only like DCI some DCA some just love Drum and Bugle Corps, which the bugle part is sort of mute too. Just enjoy the skill, work, determination the people put into it and believe me it will leave you with more for $20 than a movie. Some groups are much better than others that's why it's called a competition. Enjoy the 10 man horn line as much as the 80 man line, believe me the people in both lines love what they are doing, I have been doing this for 51 years and still drag my rear out to practice and shows and parades every weekend because I love it and there is no other place I would rather be. Enjoy the rest of the season it's too short already for me.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've established that his basic premise - that DCA sets ticket prices - is incorrect. I'm quite certain that were I to have several thousand dollars just burning a hole in my pocket, a quick phone call to Tom Peashey would give me a DCA show. Just so long as Tom and his cohorts have a check in their hand in the proper amount, I can charge anything that I want for admission.

In fact......

I think we've established that his basic premise - that DCA sets ticket prices - is incorrect. I'm quite certain that were I to have several thousand dollars just burning a hole in my pocket, a quick phone call to Tom Peashey would give me a DCA show. Just so long as Tom and his cohorts have a check in their hand in the proper amount, I can charge anything that I want for admission.

In fact......

Last week we went to see Paul McCartney at Fenway Park. What do you think of $35.00? Not bad, but that was just to park. The tickets, after paying the convenience fee (legalized scalping) ended up costing $151 each. The beer was $8.25 for a watery light, with the tip jar prominantly displayed. Without the giant screens, you couldn't even tell which performer was McCartney. The seats at Fenway were built with early 2oth century tushes in mind- very confining to say the least. But still, we enjoyed the experience of a McCartney concert. I consider $20 for a DCA show a good entertainment bargain.

To a die-hard drum corps fan, they will be willing to pay up to $50 to see their old corps play. For normal people though, they don't put drum corps nearly on the same level as even a movie. Us fans would like to think differently and yes it will always be a niche activity but wouldn't it be great to share what we love with more people?

Why cut out people who are willing to invite their neighbors, families, and friends to events? Why must it all be DCA alumni? And again, I personally had no problem paying $20 as an individual, I mean I'd be complaining over just 5-10 bucks! But it really cuts out the casual fans or people who come in groups.

This isn't too big an issue as of this point because it looks like all the other shows are managed decently. The "our sponsors control the activity we have no idea what's going to happen!" logic sounds more like an excuse than what DCA should be doing - expanding the activity to more people :doh:

Actually, the phone call tom me Andy - will get you sent to dca business manager Dick Eschenmann, but you have the right idea.

Actually, the phone call tom me Andy - will get you sent to dca business manager Dick Eschenmann, but you have the right idea.

I'd rather deal with you, Tom, because I know you'll give me a discount. :doh:

yeah right... I can't even type and you want a discount? Had to read what I said twice to figure out my own meaning...

August is mindboggling...

Id be interested in knowing how many DCA marchers have junior corps experience because to me its those folks who do it for the sheer love of it.

I'd say there are a lot of "us".... :doh:

(edited for spellin')

Edited by TennTux

This might be a good solution to your problem: DCI has been selling their DVDs at a discount when the new ones come out for the past few years. 2008's full finals production released around $110 but after the 09 videos are released you can get them for $39. Just buy everything a year back and you will save hundreds :doh:

Shadowtron, I checked DCI's website for DCA videos and couldn't find them