Best Undefeated Corps

What is the Best Undefeated Corps in the DCI Era?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Undefeated Corps in the DCI Era?

• 1982 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2009 Blue Devils

BD had better competition. 2-6 were all capable champions in many other years. in 2002, nothing after Cavies would have won in other years

Unless you can look at a very young Garfield just figuring themselves out, PR and Madison with old-school midwestern approaches, or a 27th corps who finshed 7th in prelims and think "yeah, they all coulda won a DCI title with those shows", the example isn't much of a talking point.

None of those corps were in Devils league that year. That's not a slam on them, but a recognition of how good BD was relative to the field. 82 Vanguard was the only other credible contender, just as Devils were the most dangerous contender in 02 (and I'd argue that with a better designed closer, BD could have taken a real run at Cavaliers).

The question for me comes down to not just who was dominant, but what did their show designs impart to the rest of the activity. Watching finals last week, it was hard not to recognize a greater integration of visual effect and musical composition from everyone, something the '02 Cavaliers show was most noted for achieving. From an historical perspective, I'd say that the 82 BD show marked the epitome of an era, but also the end of an era in show design. Garfield came out in 83 with a style of presentation that became the standard for the next ten to fifteen years, putting a bit of a bookend on BD's show, for me at least.

Doesn't mean I don't still appreciate how awesome the show was, just that I can't see it as being the most notable of the undefeated programs.

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of homers here. Unlike y'all, I voted for the corps I thought was best, not the one I liked best.

And that would be Cavies 2002. It's irrelevant what competition they faced in 2002. March Cavies 2002 against the other undefeated corps, and the judges (from any era) would pick Cavies as the clear winner because the show was superior in both demand and execution.

As for my favorite undefeated, that's easy: Cadets 2000.

HH

I voted and feel pretty much the same way

Can we add the 75 Madison Scouts at this point?

This will give the Green and Red Kool-aid drinkers something to vote on.

"It says Undefeated on the ring we created so it must be true. Where's the kool-aid?"

"We never got a check at that show, so it doesn't count."

Maybe this is why DCM folded....we know the real reason now. It's because so many shows didn't give out trophies in later years. Man, if we would have only known...it was the trophies keeping DCM alive.

I too voted for '82 BD and yes, I saw them live as we were on the same tour with them.

I auditioned for BD in Dec '80 and did very well, but did not have a car to get to camps and I ended up going to VF in May '81 instead. Every year around August I kind of kick myself for not taking WD up on his offer to come back for '82 as a significant number of members (so I was told) were going to be aging out in '81; I think I still have the plane ticket jacket he wrote his info on in my DC stuff somewhere. Ah, the dumb DC decisions I made early on... :doh:

I'm not sure how many homers there can be, I only see 3 corps listed on the poll.

Personally, I voted for BD 94, because I think it was an amazing and dominant show.

I don't really think scores should play a part in this conversation, though, I do think the quality of the competitive field should. However, let's be honest. In a truly competitive year, there probably wasn't an undefeated corps. Part of what sets BD 94 apart is how distinct it was from the previous BD corps. The influx of Star visual staff members really gave the corps the tools to come out and be amazing (they already had a stellar music program). So, BD 94 is not only amazing in its own right, but if you watch BD 93, it also represents an incredible departure with the past.

Love it or hate it, BD 94 is where so many great BD shows from the 1990s started.

I too voted for '82 BD and yes, I saw them live as we were on the same tour with them.

I auditioned for BD in Dec '80 and did very well, but did not have a car to get to camps and I ended up going to VF in May '81 instead. Every year around August I kind of kick myself for not taking WD up on his offer to come back for '82 as a significant number of members (so I was told) were going to be aging out in '81; I think I still have the plane ticket jacket he wrote his info on in my DC stuff somewhere. Ah, the dumb DC decisions I made early on... :doh:

Perhaps, but if you change your early drum corps career, then maybe you wouldn't have had two great years at SCV. :doh:

Unless you can look at a very young Garfield just figuring themselves out, PR and Madison with old-school midwestern approaches, or a 27th corps who finshed 7th in prelims and think "yeah, they all coulda won a DCI title with those shows", the example isn't much of a talking point.

None of those corps were in Devils league that year. That's not a slam on them, but a recognition of how good BD was relative to the field. 82 Vanguard was the only other credible contender, just as Devils were the most dangerous contender in 02 (and I'd argue that with a better designed closer, BD could have taken a real run at Cavaliers).

The question for me comes down to not just who was dominant, but what did their show designs impart to the rest of the activity. Watching finals last week, it was hard not to recognize a greater integration of visual effect and musical composition from everyone, something the '02 Cavaliers show was most noted for achieving. From an historical perspective, I'd say that the 82 BD show marked the epitome of an era, but also the end of an era in show design. Garfield came out in 83 with a style of presentation that became the standard for the next ten to fifteen years, putting a bit of a bookend on BD's show, for me at least.

Doesn't mean I don't still appreciate how awesome the show was, just that I can't see it as being the most notable of the undefeated programs.

great analysis of 82.

I was talking 94 tho :doh: