Best Undefeated Corps

What is the Best Undefeated Corps in the DCI Era?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Undefeated Corps in the DCI Era?

• 1982 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2009 Blue Devils

If margin of victory is an indicator, then Cavaliers 1.85 spread over BD in '02 - achieved while setting a new scoring record - would seem to point to them as the most dominant corps of this grouping.

I'm a big fan of '82 Devils, don't get me wrong, but the question is of figuring out which of the greats in the group was the one who made the biggest impression or who stood out the most. Purely from a numbers standpoint, it's kinda hard to argue against what Cavaliers accomplished that year.

margin of victory is telling but to be honest, 94 BD was so far out ahead of everyone that their scores leveled off and others got closer.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, although some people will point to a second place in prelims a DCI Midwest as invalidating that. No prelims championship trophy is awarded as far as I know.

And they still don't give out prelim trophies and yet the scores are still counted. A loss is a loss is a loss no matter how you paint the picture.

Maybe we should call this the "Madison Syndrome" since they're about the only ones pushing it.

Doesn't matter what Madison thinks, DCI even acknowledges that the first undefeated season was in 1982. Can't argue with that.

If you haven't seen BD 1982, reconsider your vote. That may be the best drum corps performance I've ever seen (and BD isn't even in my top-5 favorite corps).

Agreed! 1982 Blue Devils were amazing!

94 BD was so far out ahead of everyone that their scores leveled off and others got closer

And Cavaliers didn't. They were 1.5 to 2 points ahead of the competition most of that season, and as the eventual 2nd and 3rd place shows got better, they maintained the 1.5 to 2 point spread rather than hitting a ceiling.

===

RE: the 'trophy' standard, wouldn't that indicate that some little show like the Horicon Marsh Days festival counted for more than a DCI prelims event? :doh:

Edited by mobrien

since there hasn't bee prelims in alone time for the top corps, when do we ignore prelim wins/losses when comparing across decades of performances

What a bunch of homers here. Unlike y'all, I voted for the corps I thought was best, not the one I liked best.

And that would be Cavies 2002. It's irrelevant what competition they faced in 2002. March Cavies 2002 against the other undefeated corps, and the judges (from any era) would pick Cavies as the clear winner because the show was superior in both demand and execution.

As for my favorite undefeated, that's easy: Cadets 2000.

HH

And Cavaliers didn't. They were 1.5 to 2 points ahead of the competition most of that season, and as the eventual 2nd and 3rd place shows got better, they maintained the 1.5 to 2 point spread rather than hitting a ceiling.

===

RE: the 'trophy' standard, wouldn't that indicate that some little show like the Horicon Marsh Days festival counted for more than a DCI prelims event? :doh:

BD had better competition. 2-6 were all capable champions in many other years. in 2002, nothing after Cavies would have won in other years

82 BD. They scorched the earth and left no doubt. The competiton was fierce below them - but they dominated. They earned the spread they got because they were that much better.

The 2002 Cavies spread was based on buildup scores - not tick scores. A difference in judging. Had perscussion had a PA system in 2002 - Cavies drumline would have been hammered for tacit time.

94 BD - changed how the bar should be raised - from unis to style to music. They were unique and proven to be trendsetters - but others were also great and scores well.

75 Madison. I marched in that era. IMO - they were not undefeated. Flip the "winning" prelims to the 13th place corps. If prelims were not a contest - then why have it? Don't you think the 13th place corps (or sometimes the 11th place corps) feels like they weres stung? Cadets in 83 rings a bell. How about 77 BD. Without looking up scores, I thought they only lost a prelims that year - DCI North???

Father, son share championship victories, undefeated seasons

Andrew Acheson was a member of the undefeated 2002 DCI Champion Cavaliers. Twenty-seven years earlier (1975), his father's corps, the Madison Scouts, also went undefeated and captured the DCI "crown."

More--

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?r.../0506240580.php

http://thedrumslingers.com/members/rick.php

What are we to think?

I don't remember any corps getting a check for attending prelims, just the show. Never saw a trophy at prelims either. I could be wrong though. Maybe Northern Thunder could shed some light.

ok...now wait a minute....now a show is constituted as a corps getting a check????????????

Hey all you Open Class corps...STOP RIGHT NOW. End it. Don't you ever perform a competition again because it doesn't exist if you don't get a check.

This is absurd.