Jim Mason joining Madison Scouts

That said, i am excited to see scouts get some big name talent. Donnie and Co. should do good things over there. Could we get all 5 'original' corps back in finals? hm?

I think this will make Troopers better. IMO< I'm not sure Troop was better than the Scouts or the Colts this past year. But I think they will get better and be back in Finals this next year along with Madison. The big question is, who falls out?

Also, I hope Crown can maintain the momentum they've had the past several years. It would be a shame for them not to continue to compete at that high a level.

And Madison, please bring back the white pants!!!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um basically it is like having Tom Hanum taking over the Drum lIne. Similar to Tom, Donnie has has a history with Brass lines that are second to none. Lets see he responsible the Cadets in the early 80's, Star of Indiana on and off the field plus BLAST, Cadets in the early 2000's, and Crown of late. The only other person to match him in Brass technique and dominance would be Wayne Downey. To Waynes credit he has the fortune of being with BD for almost all of his career. As for Donnie Van Doren if you look at his resume it seems everything he touches turns to Gold. To learn from him is like learning from God him self. Ok maybe a little much, however he is that influential. Now this is my own personal opinion, I have never learned under him and I have learned some great brass line instructors such as Frank Williams. But Donnies seems to always be successful no matter where he goes.

I understand some may argue with my point of view but thats ok you are intitled toyour opinion as well as I am entitled to mine.

But eveyone needs top remember Donnie may not move because he does have a lot invested into crown. His son works there, his daughter marches there and they are so close to a title why would you leave when you are that close.

Shannon

The press release announced that Donnie is the new staff coordinator for the Scouts. I think he's made the move.

There's only 5 left in DCI? Bummer!

Madison

Blue Stars

SCV

Cavies

Help me. I'm blanking on the 5th one.

Troopers

of course Madison was not an original finalist.

Edited by mcjordansc

Troopers

Thanks!

BTW - Great to see them back in there!

There's only 5 left in DCI? Bummer!

Madison

Blue Stars

SCV

Cavies

Help me. I'm blanking on the 5th one.

EDIT - Troopers, that's it.

Out of the 39 corps who attended the 1st DCI championships in 1972 there are only 6 corps still competing in the Open/World class. Bluestars, SCV, Troopers and Cavies made finals in '72. Garfield and Madison just missed out at 13th and 14th place respectively.

Out of the 39 corps who attended the 1st DCI championships in 1972 there are only 6 corps still competing in the Open/World class. Bluestars, SCV, Troopers and Cavies made finals in '72. Garfield and Madison just missed out at 13th and 14th place respectively.

I think the "5 corps" refers to the "Combine West 71" (Cavaliers, Madison, Blue Stars, Troopers, SCV) that went on to form DCI. Not the original finalists.

How could I have forgotten Garfield. Too many dead brain cells. :worthy: