Hitler...

Y'all haven't dissuaded me, though. I stand by what I said. Y'all wouldn't be enjoying the video so much if it were making fun of the drum corps of yore. You love it ... it's a joke ... it's for fun ... because you still hold hope that its pathetic premise has resonance beyond a core bunch of complainers on DCP. That's why you think it's so great, which it is not.

HH

You must have missed my post asked where Hitler is talking about "olde phartes reliving their youth in DCA". My question is: Are only DCPers pathetic when they put down amps or are all people who dislike amps and their use pathetic? Talked to some people at DCA Weekend who were at Indy (long time DCI attendees). Some use was OK or ignorible and some use was really overdone. IOW - we got new toys and we're gonna make sure you notice them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait until Steve Vickers finds out Adolph is going to cancel his subscription to Drum Corps World!

Wonder if Steve will be the one answering the phone when Adolf calls. :tongue:

Happened to me when I had a a problem ordering on line. I heard "Drum Crops World Steve Vickers..." and almost dropped the phone. :lol: Didn't know Steve was that "hands on" with DCW.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Wonder if Steve will be the one answering the phone when Adolf calls. :tongue:

Happened to me when I had a a problem ordering on line. I heard "Drum Crops World Steve Vickers..." and almost dropped the phone. :lol: Didn't know Steve was that "hands on" with DCW.

Steve's a one-man show! (Currently in Europe seeing the DCE Championships). Actually he does get help - but is all about the personal touch. Amazing guy.

You obviously have no ability to understand art, or anything for that matter. How can Hitler be a metaphor for George Hopkins if IN THE VIDEO, hitler COMPLAINS about hopkins (and dave gibbs for that matter). In this case, twisted though it may be, from hitlers viewpoint, he is the good guy, and hopkins and gibbs are closing in on him. Furthermore (and someone else already stated this), but this video does more to make fun of the dinosaurs that overreact to changes....with the references to flooding dcp with posts, sending angry emails, refusing to allow their kids to march, and taking over YEA by force. If anything its more insulting to them then it is to the people that are for amps, since it marginalizes them by making them seems as unstable and ...well, insane as hitler. But you just go ahead and live in your simple little world where the evil people are out to get hopkins...i'd be willing to bet money that he would find this video hilarious :tongue:
You obviously have no ability to understand art, or anything for that matter.

Obviously, you have no real ability to read or ANYTHING for that matter. People are always bashing Hopkins and it happened again in the video. I don’t know Hopkins personally, but I sure hope that Hopkins finds this video funny as well as all of the people criticizing him. “I’d be willing to bet money that he” DON’T! Ok, he has changed drum corps to include amps, etc. Some people like it and some people don’t, etc. The possibilities are just there for corps that WANT TO try something different. But, they don’t have to. If one doesn’t like to see amps in your drum corps, then try to petition your local/favorite drum corps to not use them (if they listen) lol. But, the 2009 year sounded pretty good with some of the corps using amps here and there. It can sound fine without them too. It’s all preference. Like I said, the man is trying to bring more possibilities to drum corps and people are bashing him! Good for him!

But you just go ahead and live in your simple little world where the evil people are out to get hopkins

Excuse me?? Yeah, it’s called making sense!

Edited by En929

Hey everyone, make sure to check out my Keyboard Cat video too!

Obviously, you have no real ability to read or ANYTHING for that matter. People are always bashing Hopkins and it happened again in the video. I don’t know Hopkins personally, but I sure hope that Hopkins finds this video funny as well as all of the people criticizing him. “I’d be willing to bet money that he” DON’T! Ok, he has changed drum corps to include amps, etc. Some people like it and some people don’t, etc. The possibilities are just there for corps that WANT TO try something different. But, they don’t have to. If one doesn’t like to see amps in your drum corps, then try to petition your local/favorite drum corps to not use them (if they listen) lol. But, the 2009 year sounded pretty good with some of the corps using amps here and there. It can sound fine without them too. It’s all preference. Like I said, the man is trying to bring more possibilities to drum corps and people are bashing him! Good for him!

Excuse me?? Yeah, it’s called making sense!

:tongue: Once again, the video is not about bashing hopkins, or dave gibbs, or anybody else. It pokes fun at them, just like it makes fun of anti amp dinosaurs. You can read (I assume), therefore you can see my signature. I marched in a show that broke records and won dci ... that used amps. Yet I find this video hilarious...hmm. Just because people have attacked pro-amp people in the past, doesnt mean that every new post, video, and sound byte that makes fun of it is in the same category. The guy who made the video is right here, why dont you ask him if it offends you so much...

Hey everyone, make sure to check out my Keyboard Cat video too!

Goldsmith1210, I realized that you're the one that made the video. I'm sorry if I offended you by saying that the video was “disrespectful.” I was just simply trying to point out how I don't like how some people constantly bash Hopkins for trying to innovate.

Edited by En929

I could see a case for this being disrespectful...if you come at it from the point that it takes a guy who was responsible for the death of millions of people, and makes a joke out of it. Past that, I dont see the validity of any other complaints

Hmm. OK, well, that makes three people who took it too seriously.

garfield, you're kind of demonstrating his point that it's a political statement. Whether by intention or effect.

It's a JOKE.

An old-time comedian once made a statement about what makes people laugh:

People only laugh at things that they really believe.

Notice, he didn't say that the joke had to be true. It meant that people had to believe it, at least on a subconscious level.

Now, none of us really believe that Hitler is alive, and that he is in a cave somewhere, ranting furiously about trends in drum corps. That is absurd.

But many of us believe the sentiments in this video are correct - or at least, we believe that others hold to these sentiments. That is why we find the video to be funny. And that is people on both sides of this debate can still laugh at this joke. The anti-electronics crowd actually believe much of what is stated in the subtitles. The pro-electronics crowd, by contrast, believe that others hold these beliefs. (I would argue that those folks are actually laughing at those that hold those beliefs.)

Of course, there are other traits of an action that make it funny. In general, it must be something that is unexpected or out of the ordinary. And it typically must involve someone else. It is rare that we can laugh at ourselves. (There is self-depricating humour, but it is a fraction of what we laugh at.)

I could see a case for this being disrespectful...if you come at it from the point that it takes a guy who was responsible for the death of millions of people, and makes a joke out of it. Past that, I dont see the validity of any other complaints

I could see it from the angle of what you said AND what I said. But then again, as you said it might not had really been an attempt to simply bash Hopkins, but just a genuine attempt to have a little fun with some of the people who don’t like amps OR just a way just to have fun in general. Ok, there’s nothing wrong with having a little fun. Yes, the film that Goldsmith generated IS art and Goldsmith probably put a lot of effort into making that (thus again, I apologize if I sounded rude towards the work that was put forth). Ok, fair enough!

Edited by En929